Can anyone give recent FC1/MFS Experience?

rotorguy

• 2 weeks later...

Surgeon general. They send your MEPS physical or some other package up to the SG for approval, then you can apply for FC1 dates. It usually takes a couple weeks. Just depends on how often your states SG reviews those things. 

2 hours ago, ryleypav said:

Surgeon general. They send your MEPS physical or some other package up to the SG for approval, then you can apply for FC1 dates. It usually takes a couple weeks. Just depends on how often your states SG reviews those things. 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

This may show massive ignorance here, but if you get an SG waiver approved, could that condition waivered by the SG still bust you from passing the FC1? Or does an SG waiver essentially mean you're good to go, don't even have to think about it any more?

And another potentially silly question: When WP receives your MEPS physical, is it all of the documentation you as an applicant submitted to MEPS, or is it just the documentation the MEPS (appeared to only) use during your physical? I noticed there was paperwork paper clipped to the top of my folder, and a bunch of paper inside...and it seemed like the paperwork on the outside was where all of the MEPS folks were referencing summaries of my medical history, making notes, writing pass/fail for tests, etc. I could be wildly mistaken, just seemed that way.

Thanks to anyone who has that insight!

Edited by GreenArc

@GreenArc my paperwork had the doctor sign off saying I was qualified for service and it had all the results from my testing there too. I had to reference it when my opt said I initially failed my DP test (I passed when I was at MEPs).

As for the SG, I imagine the short answer is - it depends.  It sounds like you got waivered at MEPs for general military service, and obviously WP may have different standards depending on what the condition is since WP is trying to qualify you for flight service specifically. Since he already waivered you I would bring all of the paperwork with you to WP without a doubt and read the AF waiver guide here.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a ton, @mightymighty! I've got what I believe will be 1-2 to things that may put things in jeopardy with the FC1. Definitely gonna come prepared with paperwork, and quotes/highlights from the Medical Directory and Waiver Guide. I may need a bit of lady luck on my side, but hoping I can thread the needle here and come through clean!

• 1 month later...

Just got back from MFS yesterday, about as smooth a process as I could have hoped for.  Can confirm all of the previous reports about the techs being great, they have their work down to a science.  ONLY tricky part was finding the office to begin with if you're coming from lodging on the shuttle.  Attached pic should help you avoid the wandering I did around the USAFSAM building.  The rooms you are looking for are W103 (breakroom) and W105 (actual MFS cube-farm).

We (group of 5 off of the AD board) started up about 0745 and were headed back to lodging by 1430.  Started the day with weight, standing and sitting height, butt to knees etc which took about 2min per person.  After a short spell in the break room, over to optometry for color vision and a couple eye scans. No puffs, no charts or depth perception, about 5 min per person. 

Another bit cooling our heels in the break room followed while we waited for the psych testing lady to get free.  She brought us to the computer lab where we did four tests that took 30-45 mins a piece with a 5ish min break in between, and that was that. 

Had one guy in the group that had to hang back for eye dilation because of a prior issue, the rest of us were cleared off after a quick check to make sure there weren't any alibis.  They told us we can expect our form 600 to be available Monday, I'll update this post with how that goes if anything is particularly difficult about that.  It was really nice that we had the 'good to go' before we left for the day, the staff were happy to answer any/all questions we had about the whole process. 

image.thumb.png.9b5f723692b4588037cb13da17986ddd.png

Edited by Weav
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CavGuy said:

Stupid question inbound. If there are any disqualifying things found on day 1 of the FC1, will they let you know that same day, or have you complete everything else then let you know?

Thanks

Depends.  Lots of factors.  Different docs handle DQ events in different ways.  Some will let you know what they've found right away, but others will wait because the entire exam has to be completed and other problems may pop up.  Then, they cover everything all at once.  Sometimes the doc will base their actions on how they perceive the person is going to take the bad information.  It sucks for everyone involved when an examinee is given bad information, takes it hard and then you still have to complete the process.  I think it's safe to say that a person will know when something isn't going right, but they may not get the full picture until the end.  Speaking for myself, I never wanted to tell someone one thing and then have to retract my statement because of new information.

51 minutes ago, stuckindayton said:

Depends.  Lots of factors.  Different docs handle DQ events in different ways.  Some will let you know what they've found right away, but others will wait because the entire exam has to be completed and other problems may pop up.  Then, they cover everything all at once.  Sometimes the doc will base their actions on how they perceive the person is going to take the bad information.  It sucks for everyone involved when an examinee is given bad information, takes it hard and then you still have to complete the process.  I think it's safe to say that a person will know when something isn't going right, but they may not get the full picture until the end.  Speaking for myself, I never wanted to tell someone one thing and then have to retract my statement because of new information.

Thank you for the response sir, I appreciate the info. Very apprehensive over one thing and your reply quelled a lot of that stress, staying positive!

All staff were welcoming, polite, efficient, and knew how to do their jobs. Polar opposite of MEPS. There's a small café upstairs at the USAFSAM building that sells food/drink. Bring a warming layer as it's a typical cold medical building. One of the small waiting rooms had an older television with VHS and DVD players built-in, so if you want to bring movies for everyone to watch go ahead as the tv is for your use. Cell-phone reception is about non-existent everywhere in the building where you'll be authorized to be at, so take their recommendation to bring paper reading material seriously or download games/entertainment prior to arrival. If I could do it again I'd bring a travel pillow. You can bring a bag to carry your stuff. Bring a water bottle.

The day prior to starting the examinations I went to what they called the "pass and ID" office to get my paper document I would present with my ID card (driver license) to Security Forces to get through their gates. I included an image of the building on this post (excuse the atrocious quality, allowable data limit is small). You might get an email sent to you from your sponsor (person at the USAFSAM building sponsoring you to get on base) or from the visitor center/pass & ID office with instructions on how to do this. Your sponsor can get you maps of the base.

Wright-Patterson AFB is weird as there is an Area A and an Area B of the base, and neither area touches each other. They are split by publicly accessible roadway. So if you're lodging at the Wright Patterson Inn (on Area A), you'll leave Area A, then have to go to Area B and go through their Security Forces gate then proceed to the USAFSAM building. Then reverse the steps to go back to the Inn once the day is over.

The Hope Hotel is what they use for your lodging if the Inn is too full. The Hope Hotel abuts Area A, but is actually publicly accessible and is not past the Area A Security Forces gate (but is right next to it). The Hope Hotel sucks; it's run down and broken. The best part though was getting woken up by Security Forces doing a high-risk vehicle-stop on a food delivery driver who drove past the gate into the base using the exit lane. That was cool to see. The wi-fi connectivity was spotty. I brought a PS4 and paid for hot-spot internet on my cell-phone so I had something to do while at the hotel for hours each day. I definitely recommend doing that.

If you currently have an FAA pilot certificate, but have not used FAA MedXPress before, get set up with it prior to the visit. I had not used it before, so they asked me to get set up with it while I was there and they renewed my expired medical certificate while I was there. Was nice of them. They'll need the confirmation number.

pass&id.jp2

Edited by yervis
MedXPress

19 hours ago, yervis said:

The Hope Hotel sucks; it's run down and broken.

I didn't think it was all that bad. It wasn't the Ritz, but not bad. The restaurant attached to it wasn't bad either. I think I got coupons to use for it from the front desk. 

If you golf, bring your clubs. There are courses on and near base. Something to do in the afternoons. 

I got hammered at the Hope Hotel restaurant on Halloween night after I failed my FC1.  The bartender gave me a free drink because all the locals were dressed up in Halloween costumes partying and I was sitting at the corner of the bar solo in a sweatshirt and sweatpants with my hood up.  

I ended up going back a month later and passed, the bar tender remembered me and we both took a shot together to celebrate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

I'll be going to Wright Patt to do my First Class medical following OTS. How closely does the medical staff review prior waivers - for example, if you have a minor surgery and received a waiver (from AF flight doc prior to OTS), do they simply review the paperwork or do they inspect that area of your body? Think colorectal....

On 3/5/2022 at 3:09 PM, Sandiegosurf said:

I'll be going to Wright Patt to do my First Class medical following OTS. How closely does the medical staff review prior waivers - for example, if you have a minor surgery and received a waiver (from AF flight doc prior to OTS), do they simply review the paperwork or do they inspect that area of your body? Think colorectal....

I'm not that kind of doc, but since you didn't get any other replies I'll give you my thoughts. 

They will certainly review the history and waiver, but I don't think they'll do any more inspection than what everyone else gets.  In all my years working at WP I don't recall anyone being sent over to the medical center for a colon scope.  

Each department is a little different, but for eye folks, our attitude was that if the AF already waived a condition then we were wasting their time giving them our opinion.  The only exception was if the waiver was based on incorrect information.  Then we would point that out and let them decide how to proceed.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't sweat it.

I'm not that kind of doc, but since you didn't get any other replies I'll give you my thoughts. 
They will certainly review the history and waiver, but I don't think they'll do any more inspection than what everyone else gets.  In all my years working at WP I don't recall anyone being sent over to the medical center for a colon scope.  
Each department is a little different, but for eye folks, our attitude was that if the AF already waived a condition then we were wasting their time giving them our opinion.  The only exception was if the waiver was based on incorrect information.  Then we would point that out and let them decide how to proceed.
Bottom line is that I wouldn't sweat it.

Moooon….River….

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been experiencing severe delays getting their FC1 scheduled?  My med waiver was approved late last year and I still have been waiting for an FC1 data since November-December.  Recruiter said some nonsense about their being delays caused by Covid rules, Congressional budget screw ups, etc but wanted to see if I am being fed BS.  

7 hours ago, tarheelaviator said:

Has anyone been experiencing severe delays getting their FC1 scheduled?  My med waiver was approved late last year and I still have been waiting for an FC1 data since November-December.  Recruiter said some nonsense about their being delays caused by Covid rules, Congressional budget screw ups, etc but wanted to see if I am being fed BS.  

Not that badly. I heard the same thing regarding COVID rules (but nothing specific). My unit started trying to schedule mine in January and finally sent the request beginning of February. I heard back after three weeks and it was scheduled three weeks out. I think the recent AD board may have slowed them down too.

Thought I would pay it forward and give my FC1 experience the week of 7 Feb 2022.

Day 1:

- Blood Draw/Urinalysis

- Height, Weight, Sitting Height

- Near/Far Acuity

-Depth Perception

-Color Vision

- Eye scans/go over scans with optometrist 

-Eye dilation/scans with eyes dilated

- Eye Pressure

- Vitals

- Hearing

- Reading about Test 

- Medical History

- Dental x-rays/exam

Day 2:

- Flight doc Consult

- Neuro/Psych exam

Day 3:

- EKG

Day 4:

- All cleared to go home

Overall i had a really great experience at WP, and the docs and people are super great. There were 21 in my group most of which were ROTC. Some advice i would give is to visit the dentist before your visit because he is very particular, and will not sign off unless you get dental work done which some in my group had to do when they returned home. It easily could have been done in two days if not one so be prepared to spend lots of time sitting around. I don't know of anyone in my group who was disqualified, so try not to stress too much. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Hope this helps. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me if they’re still using the version of the CCT with the letters? I passed that with good scores except green (55 in each eye), but I’ve heard they may have switched to the directional C test? How would you guys say that compares to the letter version? I plan on giving flight med a ring tomorrow and seeing if they’d be willing to come let me try the new test a time or two so I’m not going to WP totally in the dark  

If I end up getting a 50 in an eye, are they medical personnel amenable to a retest? I’ve just been picked up with a pilot slot in the AD board and am awaiting MFS dates (certified FC1 Jan 2019, never got around to applying). Thanks for any information! 

6 hours ago, Nate B said:

Can anyone tell me if they’re still using the version of the CCT with the letters? I passed that with good scores except green (55 in each eye), but I’ve heard they may have switched to the directional C test? How would you guys say that compares to the letter version? I plan on giving flight med a ring tomorrow and seeing if they’d be willing to come let me try the new test a time or two so I’m not going to WP totally in the dark  

If I end up getting a 50 in an eye, are they medical personnel amenable to a retest? I’ve just been picked up with a pilot slot in the AD board and am awaiting MFS dates (certified FC1 Jan 2019, never got around to applying). Thanks for any information! 

Nate,

I believe Wright Patt is still using the Landolt (directional) "C" CCT.  There may be a few other clinics out there using the "C", it just depends on who has updated their equipment in the last couple of years.  More than likely, your local flight med will have the letter version.

In theory, the two should be equivalent.  The "C" was introduced to make the stimulus more consistent in difficulty, whereas the letters vary (Z, V are easier, E, F, R, P are harder).  However, your score on each test should be similar (within the test-retest variability for each type of device).

The version at Wright-Patt (unless they've changed it since I left) will retest you if you score a 50.  You effectively have to score below 55 twice to get that as your official result.  Once the machine spits out the final result, it's pretty much final.  I wouldn't expect them to retest you again at that point.

Hope that help.

Best of luck,

Steve

7 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

Nate,

I believe Wright Patt is still using the Landolt (directional) "C" CCT.  There may be a few other clinics out there using the "C", it just depends on who has updated their equipment in the last couple of years.  More than likely, your local flight med will have the letter version.

In theory, the two should be equivalent.  The "C" was introduced to make the stimulus more consistent in difficulty, whereas the letters vary (Z, V are easier, E, F, R, P are harder).  However, your score on each test should be similar (within the test-retest variability for each type of device).

The version at Wright-Patt (unless they've changed it since I left) will retest you if you score a 50.  You effectively have to score below 55 twice to get that as your official result.  Once the machine spits out the final result, it's pretty much final.  I wouldn't expect them to retest you again at that point.

Hope that help.

Best of luck,

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the detailed response. I was under the impression that there were 20 iterations of each color at 5 levels of contrast, each worth 5 points for a total of 100. Is this not the case? Does it basically just test you down to a certain level, then verify it like the audiogram?

The reason I ask about the retest is because during my IFC3 they actually let me test three times (standard was 75 back then). During my IFC1 they allowed me to test twice. I thought it may have been SOP for someone who was very borderline. Guess I just got very nice techs both times.