Can anyone give recent FC1/MFS Experience?

rotorguy

I would consider combining these threads, but the information at the beginning of the linked thread really is out of date and I don't think we need to propogate it. Read from about page 8 to most recent on page 10 but know you can find most of it elsewhere on the forum, or ask for it here, or PM me.

Any future information should go in this thread. Below are the updated links.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=20352

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=20353

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=20358

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=20362

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=20373

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if you still need this information but it was fairly easy. They're really not there to get you DQed. However, with that said- I would not offer up any information that they aren't asking you for. Be honest- there's a lot of waivers- but don't offer up any additional information.

Beyond that, in our group there was 17 of us and 2 DQed for red deficiency (something men seem to have issues with that they aren't aware of).

Good luck!

So are they doing that computer color vision test as standard now instead of the Ishihara color vision test with the little dots? So if new incoming guys don't pass that, they can't get a flying class one physical?

Also, what is officially supposed to happen if guys fail the laptop based color vision test during their annual? We had three guys fail - all with good color vision over the past 10-15 years. The first got got an overall "qualified" on the physical with no questions asked, the second guy was told to take it a few more times, with some help, until he passed. And the third guy was told, "from now on, you are book color vision test only." Kind of fucked up. Makes me wonder how great this new test really is.

So are they doing that computer color vision test as standard now instead of the Ishihara color vision test with the little dots? So if new incoming guys don't pass that, they can't get a flying class one physical? Also, what is officially supposed to happen if guys fail the laptop based color vision test during their annual? We had three guys fail - all with good color vision over the past 10-15 years. The first got got an overall "qualified" on the physical with no questions asked, the second guy was told to take it a few more times, with some help, until he passed. And the third guy was told, "from now on, you are book color vision test only." Kind of fucked up. Makes me wonder how great this new test really is.
The cone contrast test (CCT, the computer) replaced the ishihara (PIP books) about a year ago. All Air Force clinics are using it for initial and annual exams. Waivers still exist, but the standard is higher (budget impacting acquisitions). I can't really comment on your rumor mill story, but the validity and quality discussion of the CCT has already been beaten to death. I thought there was already a thread about it, but I'm on my phone. Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk Edited by deaddebate

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I had my IFC1 a few weeks ago down at WPAFB. I'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the process for approval after you leave WPAFB? The Flight Doc down there said everything looked good and I didn't need any waivers. I'm just curious if that is a guarantee I passed, or are there doctors at AETC that go through and review your chart? From what I could gather from the techs down at WP, if you leave without needing a waiver then you passed. Any thoughts from someone with some inside knowledge of the process?

Thanks!

A 2-6 week routing of your IFC1 paperwork is common enough. Assuming your an OTS/Acadamy candidate, you could ask your recruiter. If you're already AD/Guard/Reserve, ask your local MSME/FSO. As Port Dog said, after your physical is completed, no news is usually good news.

I just had my IFC1 a couple of weeks ago and everyone out there was awesome. The Flight Doc's were really cool. Everyone worked with you. If you have a problem they'll just make you retake the test. They aren't there to end your career, they're there to evaluate whether or not you can fly an airplane. We had about 30 guys in our class and I don't know of a single wash out. The optometrist was really really nice too. I could tell that she genuinely cared about all the applicants. They will tell you if you require a waiver, and what the odds are for that waiver. The only thing that I didn't like was that everyone administering the tests would not give you your results. This is probably a good thing though, to keep applicants from over stressing because you're going to be stressed enough. Don't stress out over it. There is a sandwich shop upstairs where you can buy lunch for all you guard and reserve dudes that aren't fortunate enough to receive one of those nifty boxed lunches like the ROTC guys. I do suggest looking up AFI 48-123 SUP 1. You can find it on epubs. This is where they get EVERYTHING. Knowledge is power, in the event that there is an issue. The worst part about it, to be honest, was the psych eval. A 4 hour computer test. Nothing cosmic, but really boring. I was in and out in a day and a half. Before going I starting nitpicking things out with myself as potential problems and it lead to stressing out and it wasn't worth it. Just take it easy and relax. Like I said, its nothing cosmic. With the things you can control, you already have under control. With the things you don't have control over, you can't change anyway. Make sure you don't have cavities!! If you have one it is not disqualifying but they hold your FC1 until you can provide proof that you have had it fixed. Make sure you drink a lot of water! If you are dehydrated, itll show + for protein. They'll just make you retake it but its not worth the hassle. All blood work and urinalysis is done at the hospital, everything else is done in area B of the base at the ACS ( Aeromedical Consultation Services). For the dudes that are driving, get the numbers of the other guys there and go to dinner that night. Just relax, shoot the shit, and have a good time with the guys. Don't drink alcohol because its just not worth screwing anything up. At least that's how we saw it. I don't suggest it but I'm not your mommy. There are quite a few restaurants around the area. You will wait in a break room for most of the time. They have a 50 inch on the wall for you to watch but you'll most likely be spending time talking to other dudes that are there as well. Don't sweat the red lens test, I think I saw something on that earlier. It's common sense, and the tech explains everything to you very clearly. You shouldn't screw it up. Also, no news is good news! If you don't hear anything, that's because they don't need you to hear anything. You're fine! I'm sorry if this is all over the place but I was just writing things down as I remember. If you have any questions about the appointment just PM me. I can't tell you anything about the tests but about the appointment in general I'd be glad to help you out. Again, DON'T STRESS and Good Luck!

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't heard anything yet; I wouldn't worry about it. It took about 2-4 weeks to have my paperwork stamped, but if they didn't find anything at WPAFB then they won't find anything as it gets signed off.

As far as the color test goes the laptop is a bit harder for me, and I have never failed a color test in my life. The laptop can be hard to see, but if you do end up failing that then there are two other tests they put you through. The first is the standard book test if you pass that then they will give you another test where you have to match colors (a sphere split into two halves). I know this because a buddy of mine was color blind and ended up passing the book test (mainly because he knew what he was looking for), during his appointment at WPAFB he failed the laptop test and then later failed the sphere test. This is the main reason they changed the test, you can study for the book, where as you can't study for the laptop test.

Definitely have a good time hanging-out with the folks you meet... It's a small AF, and I ended-up going through every phase of training (AMS, IFS, UPT, and FTU) with a few guys I first met at Wright-Pat.

As far as the drinking, we thought that too, but they did the blood-work the first day, so we went to Texas Roadhouse the next two nights and drank our faces off. It was a great time... Gotta love per diem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know this because a buddy of mine was color blind and ended up passing the book test (mainly because he knew what he was looking for), during his appointment at WPAFB he failed the laptop test and then later failed the sphere test.

Sphere test? Can you elaborate more?

• 2 weeks later...

Sphere test? Can you elaborate more?

I could be wrong in regards to what he means by "sphere test" but for what it's worth:

The eye exam changed from when I went to MEPS and then Wright Pat for FC1. At MEPS they had a book and each page had a circle that had a number or a letter in it and you had to identify it for your color test. When I went to Wright Pat, recently, they had a computer instead. The computer test is timed and you have to identify numbers of various colors numerous times that begin to fade over the course of the test.

Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...

Just came back last week actually. Its a pretty cool experience. I'm in ROTC but had some guard guys in our groups. Some of the tests they go through are:

-Flight Doctor Physical

-Urine Test/Blood Test

-Chest X-Rays

-Dental Check Up

-Hearing Test, blood pressure

-Depth Perception Test – Don’t let anyone psych you out, this seemed to happen a lot, as everyone seems to know someone who got sent home for it. Just take your time, if there is an issue they will let you know, if they don’t, don’t worry.

-Red Lens Test, color blindness, and a few other eye tests of the sort.

-Extensive Eye Exam (this includes dilating your eyes)

-3-4 Hour Psych Exam – which is just a concussion test on steroids

Lot of hurry up and wait, so I'd bring a book or something. But everyone there is super nice and great to deal with. They all just want to help you out and see you do well. Like I said before, don't let anyone psych you out. They'll let you know if there are any issues, if they don't say anything, I wouldn't worry.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me

• Upvote 1

I just finished mine at Cannon a couple weeks ago. It is extremely low key and not difficult at all. You'll get blood taken for about 20 different things, which isn't as bad as it sounds. Just make sure you drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and keep your blood cells at the right levels. You'll also do vision tests, hearing tests, x-rays, an EKG, and then a doctor will probe around your body for a bit. It doesn't take that long to do the tests and get the results back. The most painful part is waiting on AETC, or whoever the approval board people are, to approve it.

• 2 months later...

Do you need to have your FCI complete and certified before the AFRC board?

Going to board in November and won't see the flight doc until late September. Worried about the delay in getting paperwork certified. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm this??

Everything my unit has told me has me to believe that the FC1 needs to be stamped/certified of the AFRC board won't even look at it.

I am also worried about not getting my fc1 completed in time for the Nov board. would be great if they would accept candidates wout it

Thanks!!

Can anyone confirm this??

Everything my unit has told me has me to believe that the FC1 needs to be stamped/certified of the AFRC board won't even look at it.

I am also worried about not getting my fc1 completed in time for the Nov board. would be great if they would accept candidates wout it

Thanks!!

FC1 should be able to to be done by your units flight surgeon. you can do the MFS after youre picked up

I'm in the same boat here and need to hit the November board...I have a feeling just telling my recruiter or my unit that I heard this on baseops won't inspire confidence in not worrying about a fully signed off FC1 by November.

So, where would the regulation on this be? Probably going to need that if this is true.

I had a conversation with some Recruiting folks about this, because I have no experience or knowledge on the selection process. It's my understanding that you do need MFS certification for consideration, but I may be wrong.

Edited by deaddebate

• 5 months later...