Is it possible?

AirLift56

Greetings,

Is it possible to go through Navy OTS and pilot training, do 2-5 years of active duty, than transfer to an Airforce ANG unit before the obligation period? If possible, is it looked down upon? I read here that transferring from one service to another is possible - , however I assume that's after one's commitment period?

Greetings,

Is it possible to go through Navy OTS and pilot training, do 2-5 years of active duty, than transfer to an Airforce ANG unit before the obligation period? If possible, is it looked down upon? I read here that transferring from one service to another is possible - , however I assume that's after one's commitment period?

The Navy won't release you until your commitment is up. Right now that commitment is 8 years from your winging date for fixed wing, 6 for helos.

2 I get, but who on earth takes 4 years to rate? Only way I see that as possible is budget constraints...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You have to understand how the Navy does scheduling. You class up with some dudes, but you don't finish with them. Everyone is on their own pace for the most part. Some dudes get way ahead and others get behind. It's not similar to how the AF conducts business at all. Also add in that all Marines have 6 months of The Basic School which trains every Marine officer on the finer points of commanding a provisional rifle platoon.

It was 3.5 years from the time I commissioned to the time I winged. OCS to The Basic School was about a 1 month wait, then TBS to API was a PCS and a 10 month pool (the T-34 fleet was red striped due to a rudder problem), 2 months between API and Primary, a month and a PCS move before starting Intermediate Jet, then a couple weeks before starting advanced strike, another couple weeks before starting CQ, then a few weeks waiting for enough dudes to finish to have a winging ceremony. Figure that Primary is about 4-6 months, IJet is supposed to take about 6 months but it took me 8 due to weather and crummy jet maintenance, another 6 for strike and 1 more month for CQ.

Or a better timeline

Commission March 2009,

TBS April -Nov 2009

API August 2010

Primary Nov 2010 - Apr 2011

IJet June 2011 - Jan 2012

Strike Jan 2012 - July 2012

CQ August 2012

Wing Sept 2012

I started the RAG (FRS) in January of 2013, should be CQing now but our boat was cancelled so were waiting until Nov. I picked up Capt in May. So I'll be a commissioned officer for about 4.5 years before I get to my fleet squadron.

Edited by Swanee

Out of curiosity: is IJet equivalent to USAF Phase 3 flying in a T-38 (i.e. how to fly formation/a jet in the NAS)? Is strike/CQ learning basic fighter fundamentals like BFM, SAT, etc. (i.e. beyond just flying a jet in the NAS) in a T-45?

Out of curiosity: is IJet equivalent to USAF Phase 3 flying in a T-38 (i.e. how to fly formation/a jet in the NAS)? Is strike/CQ learning basic fighter fundamentals like BFM, SAT, etc. (i.e. beyond just flying a jet in the NAS) in a T-45?

Exactly. Ijet is where you learn to fly a jet. Strike is where you learn the finer points of manual offset bombing, LAT, and very basic BFM (the T-45 is a really crummy BFM machine). I Guess you guys do what we call strike as winged aviators. The only thing that is a bit different is that the guys who are going to fly the E-2 or C-2 don't do the strike syllabus, they have a few top off hour building flights and then go straight to CQ before going over to the multiengine prop land.