AFSC Release - Advice Needed ASAP

minutemanjs

I'm ready to get my package signed, my physical is done, no waivers, and want to go RPA.

I'm trying to get leadership approval to get released from my AFSC just prior to my Code 55 expiring in Dec' '14 if I get selected. However, the PSDM says that the applicant needs to be ready for release on a short notice assignment "as early as April 2014".

I am CONUS & operational right now, the only way I'm going to get leadership push is if the release can be delayed until at least Sep '14 and beyond. It's just too costly for them to relase me in April 2014 as far as manning goes and my code 55.

Yet worse, if I do not apply on this board, and wait until next years 2015 board, I will get orders in Jan '15 for a new assignment, the same month that the next board will meet. If I miss this 1 and only chance this year, I will be effectively pulled into a new assignment before I get the opportunity to crossflow over. You can be sure that the new assignment will not release me as well. There is just not any motivation for them to do this.

1)Does anyone know ways I can get released for a later date in 2014? April is too soon. I need solid advice to win leadership over with real assurance they need to be able to sign my package.

Talked with my functional manager and I've heard that they are working on ways to be flexible with Code 55's as far as AFPC is concerned, but I have not heard anything solid yet.

2)Is there a way to get accepted on the 2014 board, yet delay going to IFS until late 2014 or early 2015?

Thanks!

Have you talked to the AFPC office handling the RPA applications and board? There must be a POC and contact number on the announcement message for applications. They will have the best (and only reliable) information about your questions. If their answers don't help you or there's no way to make it work on their end, you still have a couple options.

1) Ask your leadership to slip a VML or 2 in order to have time to apply to the next board

2) Tell your squadron commander you'd like to speak directly to the Group CC. Explain to the Gp CC that you will stay as long as possible and will request a late training date if selected.

Never take no for an answer but don't be a dick about it. Explain your predicament and most reasonable people will find a way to accommodate you. Keeping you an extra couple months is probably good in their book, although not ideal for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you sure that you won't get pushed by your leadership? I got off my Code 55 with 2 years remaining. From what my leadership at the time told me, AFPC doesn't care about your Code 55 status if you get accepted by the active duty board, so the only issue you should be facing is getting your leadership to sign your package.

• 3 weeks later...

I've talked with my leadership, AFPC for both my careerfield and Pilot, and I've done everything I can do to go for the 2014 board.

It's not going to happen, they will not sign my paperwork purely based on not wanting to release me early. I will be on station here for a solid 4 years at the very least until my code 55 expires in December of 2014. AFPC said I would get orders to a new base to crossflow in January of 2015 and this is bad. The 2015 board is my last opportunity as an officer without a waiver to apply. I've been pushing to get "Extended" one VML cycle so I can stay at my base longer as the application goes through for 2015.

Good news! I just got word back that I can be extended to Summer of 2015. While that is not exciting for me because I'll be on the grindstone another 4-6 months, at least I'll get an opportunity to apply for the 2015 board. In fact, just got my Combat Readiness Medal for being on the grindstone. Now I just have to do everything I can to get a pilot slot. I plan on taking some lessons before my next application date. I can't afford much, but I'll do my best.

I don't know if AFPC Pilot Selection realizes just how difficult it is for Active Duty Officers to apply to the Pilot Boards. Even though the Air Force is really hurting for RPA pilots, there really aren't any good sources for them to crossflow from because bases want to hang on to their officers most of the time. The best shot that anyone has for pilot is to either get a slot as a Cadet or to get a slot as Reserve/Guard.

RTB gave some solid advice there and it's 100% applicable.