Instrument Studying before UPT

Rat--suffice it to say you have no idea what you're talking about. You're the FAIP that makes every other FAIP cringe, because you don't know what you don't know. Take the advice of an old FAIP--STFU, listen more, and talk less. You, and your entire community, will be better for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

• Upvote 1

My question still stands...WTF is a HEFOEP check?

I know what HEFOEP means...WTF are they teaching you guys theses days?!?

Cheers,

Cap-10

I'm confused as to why you are asking if you know. HEFOEP check is a check that students are expected to do regularly (I.e. after a couple maneuvers in the MOA or on radar downwind) to check all the major systems (HEFOEP) and make sure they are operating properly.

Also while Lord Ratner is former FAIP in a new MWS, he isn't coming across as a douche FAIP. I had prior C-130 instructor in T-6s that yelled at me when I was going retarded on my patterns before he cut me loose to solo. I didn't get mad or hate him, he was the most chill IP in the flight, I knew he was yelling at me to get my head out of my ass and do what I had been doing well in our previous flights. Everyone responds differently and when an instructor, I respected, yelled at me I got mad at myself and went back and tried/studied even harder. Everyone responds differently and he seems to get it.

Edited by Fuzz

I'm confused as to why you are asking if you know. HEFOEP check is a check that students are expected to do regularly (I.e. after a couple maneuvers in the MOA or on radar downwind) to check all the major systems (HEFOEP) and make sure they are operating properly.

Pretty sure El Cap-10 is referring to HEFOE visual signals for NORDO EP... Not using it as a Ops check memory aid.

• Upvote 1

Rat--suffice it to say you have no idea what you're talking about. You're the FAIP that makes every other FAIP cringe, because you don't know what you don't know. Take the advice of an old FAIP--STFU, listen more, and talk less. You, and your entire community, will be better for it.

Yup, I agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

More techsedure, I hate that crap.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Upvote 2

I had prior C-130 instructor in T-6s that yelled at me

Clarify please. Was he a prior C-130 IP, or a prior C-130 pilot/copilot now instructing in T-6s? It matters...

.... But fear, sarcasm and ridicule are the tools of an inferior pilot and instructor who doesn't have the maturity to properly facilitate learning.

Great post. I'll give you fear and ridicule....but sarcasm? Gonna have to disagree with you on that one.

• Upvote 2

Ah yes, that thing we teach students to do every couple maneuvers....otherwise known as an "Ops Check"

As stated from some others above, HEFOE are the NORDO EP signals.

Cheers,

Cap-10

I've been told that military instrument flying is 'somewhat' different than civilian but I would just like to have a decent base of how it all works.

-Chem

I like your enthusiasm for wanting to better prepare for UPT/wanting to be a good aviator. Nothing wrong with that. For instrument flying, the basic rulebook is AFMAN 11-217. If you take on flipping through that booger, please don't try to memorize it. Use it to gain familiarity. And I think that what most here are saying, gain awareness and don't try to teach yourself. The good ol folks teaching UPT will show you what you need to know. Move out on your own and you risk going down the wrong path. What you will find is that once you are in the program, any headstart you gained by reading ahead is gone quickly.

There are some UPT blogs out in the net that can show you a day in the life (if you can get past all the individual awesomeness spew).

Enjoy puking on your first ride,

Out

I'm familiar with the T-37...I flew it...HEFOE was not taught as an Ops check pneumonic back then, and I've never heard it until this thread.

HEFOE already has an established definition in the realm of EP's and I don't think it should be mixed with something else...terrible technique IMHO.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Oh for fucks sake Cap. Who gives a shit. It's a memory aid. Sounds like a pretty decent one as well since it pretty much covers everything. Call it AMRAAM for all I care. Just look at your jet once in a while and make sure it's still working right. This seems to get the job done.

Edited by Danny Noonin
  • Upvote 3

To the OP, try to enjoy the nice break before IFS/UPT/career flying. Go on a cruise, sit on a beach, go fly some acro, spend more than a few days with family. If you can't stop yourself from doing something to prepare, here's a few options. You can find anything with an AFI or AFM at the beginning at www.e-publishing.af.mil with the search bar on the right side.

1. Boldface/ops limits - as stated, start working on them about a month before, to the point where you can write and say them perfectly and without hesitation.

2. AFI 11-202V3 - Browse, but don't study too deeply. The things in there that will be important later involve when you can or cannot fly due to you, your situation, or the weather.

3. AFMAN 11-217V1 - Again, browse, but don't study. Look for bold italicized stuff.

4. Do some fun flying at your local airport in a variety of planes and gliders. Get exposed to different systems, avionics, and techniques. Don't do it to build hours or qualify for something specific. Do it to make yourself a better and more adaptable aviator. If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong.

Don't forget that all of these things are a secondary priority to taking care of your family and yourself. You're about to start an interesting journey where your own priorities will often be secondary to the needs of the nation, the Air Force, and your many bosses.

Good luck

• Upvote 1

Oh for fucks sake Cap. Who gives a shit. It's a memory aid. Sounds like a pretty decent one as well since it pretty much covers everything. Call it AMRAAM for all I care. Just look at your jet once in a while and make sure it's still working right. This seems to get the job done.

I'm not an anti memory aid guy, I just think taking a pneumonic that has it widely accepted in a certain situation (NORDO EP) and using it for something else, is a bad idea, again, in my opinion.

The first time I mention HEFOE during a stand up to the baby class and they start telling me that their engine stacks are good and they have good blinker/good pressure, I'm going to throat punch the first T-6 IP I can find and Irish step dance on his nut sack!

Back to the topic at hand (and I apologize for getting the thread derailed)...I wouldn't study shit prior to starting other than the Boldface and Ops Limits. Learn them backwards, forwards, and upside down and you will be good to go.

Good luck in UPT!

Cheers,

Cap-10

The first time I mention HEFOE during a stand up to the baby class and they start telling me that their engine stacks are good and they have good blinker/good pressure, I'm going to throat punch the first T-6 IP I can find and Irish step dance on his nut sack!

Manchester.

• Upvote 3

Learn how to read an approach plate and other instrument type procedures if you are really interested in starting studying early. It won't help you at IFS, but it will help you at UPT during a very challenging phase.

Studying early and/or flying in advance can help you but you have to keep one thing in mind: Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Don't teach yourself bad habits and then have to unlearn stuff.

Also, a great lesson from this thread is that you will run into some giant douches like Lord Ratner who don't get it and think they have to treat people like shit. Don't take it personally and learn from your mistakes. At the end of the day, we are all on the same team.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Don't teach yourself bad habits and then have to unlearn stuff.

I believe this is the reason why many of us that came to UPT with prior flight time had struggles in phase 2. I was an overdoer too WRT prepping ahead of time. Seriously do not over do it.

Chill out before SUPT. I had a hangarmate that was a Navy pilot. He had a Christen Eagle, I had a Pitts S1S. He taught me to fly with my prop tucked inbetween the trailing edge of his wing and leading edge of his horizontal stab. When his wing wash had my ailerons washed out about 1/3 of the way I knew I was in. It was a hoot. It translated HORRIDLY to tweet formation. A light piston plane has the ability to stop and go, a T-37 did not. I couldn't fly normal wing worth a crap. Went from being the first guy to each check to just a dude getting 4 down goods. Negative transfer at its worst. Still, had a blast, but the T-38s ran to others.

Trying to teach yourself instruments by reading 11-217 is akin to trying to teach yourself particle physics by buying a text book off of Amazon. You can memorize the text all you want, but without context and application it's meaningless.

I will say there are two distinct types of guys who show up to UPT with prior time (either civilian flying, E aircrew, etc). Either they show up with an open mind and willing to learn and parlay their previous experience into success at UPT, or they show up with the attitude that they already know how to fly and they simply need to check the UPT box. Needless to say, the guys in the later group struggle mightily and frequently wash out.

• Upvote 2

Hoss,

Good advice about the aerobatics.

Our alma mater was a flying school and I was a flying major...and now it's dead and the flying program is gone.

Hope folks are able to see the advice despite an occasional spelling error.

Eye suk at spellun goodly.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Edited by Cap-10

Instrument flying is instrument flying, no matter what size airplane you fly or how fast you fly it. The FARAIM stuff is the same as the 11-217 which is (mostly) the same as the ICAO stuff. Knowing how to read an approach plate and how to use the radio under instrument flight will help you when you get to instruments. The USAF doesn't do it any differently than anyone else except you aren't supposed to vomit all over the radio with stuff like "center uhh we're uhh level at flight level 230, real smooth ride up here." It's "callsign, position, altitude." Brevity matters. It should make you feel good to make a perfect radio call and shame the airline dorks or airline dork wannabes with their trucker comm. That will pay dividends if you end up in a fighter and make a perfect 3-1 radio call during an LFE when everyone and their mom is trying to get a dec or call their shot during that single freq war that the viper strikers demanded.

I digress. Anyway...

Remember that IFS/UPT is designed to take a dude who has never sat in an airplane and make him a "safe" multi-engine, commercially rated, USAF pilot. As long as you're willing to put in the work required you can succeed without prior stuff like aerobatic or instrument flying. Once you start UPT it'll be continuous grundle punching (with just enough intermittently-reinforced awesomeness to keep you wanting more) no matter what jet you end up in, so enjoy your down time while you can.

3 axioms of UPT:

Life isn't fair1.

Work hard 2, but realize timing and luck matter as much or more than anything else.

Be a good bro 3.

1) You'll probably feel like the schedulers are always screwing you over with the hammer check pilot, douche FAIP, or that you're not flying as much as the golden-boy thoroughbred guy in your class. Realize everyone else feels the same way, and there is not favoritism and you're not special. Execute consistently well regardless of your feelings of entitlement to special dispensation, and don't expect special dispensation...because you're not special; you're just another idiot Stan trying to kill your instructors en route to wings.

2) "Work hard" means study what you're told to study, be prepared for every sortie (chair flying, memorizing radio calls, VFR pattern references, entry parameters, and local procedures). That way the IPs can give you their techniques on accomplishing the procedures you already know rather than teaching you the procedures you should've studied.

3) Be a good bro means honestly help your dudes out as much as you can. Yes, it's a competition, but it's not you against each other, it's you against the USAF to earn your wings. The rack and stack is going to happen, but if your only focus is on how you can beat everyone else you're a douchebag and I don't want to fly with you. If your focus is improving yourself and helping others improve themselves, you're on the right track.

Now go drink some beer and go on vacation or something before pilot training starts so you have some fond memories to look back upon during the difficult parts of UPT.

To answer the original question - if you have the cash to burn, start your IFR rating. If not, take the cheap route and do the MS Flight Simulator route and get your "instrument rating" through that. It will give you basic familiarity with the IFR system and instruments as well as radio calls. Radio calls is something you should definitely start perfecting right now, as they will only get better as time goes on. And sure, you have those stupid, non-standard fucked up radio calls for the VFR pattern for the first 1/4 of UPT, but after that, most all radio calls you make will be the same ones you learned about in the civilian world - especially in your instrument training if you did any.

Don't read AFMAN 11-217, or any other AF manual regulation, they are written to not be understood and to confuse people, and as a CYA for "leaders" to crucify people if they fuck up. Start with the FAA's Instrument Procedures Handbook (download for free). It's much more user friendly and will teach the basics that transfer over to most all aviation. If you come out of there knowing what an enroute chart (high/low), SID, STAR, and IAP are, and you can read and interpret each, then you should be ahead of the game quite a bit. Don't use the FAA's Instrument flying book, because it is all centered on steam, 6-pack gauges. Also don't dig into many of the pure regulations with regards to instruments, because the AF does that differently just to be different from the FAA and make life harder on UPT studs.

I invested a little cash to take several acro rides beforehand. It was nothing like UPT acro, but it seemed to help a tad, like HOSS said, with not getting sick and energy management.

Know the boldface and ops limits cold. And if you have time to get into the system gouge, you may as well start on that.

But again, probably the best advice is to enjoy your free time now, because you won't have much in UPT. They will ultimately spoon feed you everything you need. But for my personal situation, I studied in advance and I think it helped; I did pretty well in my first three checkrides and then dropped to about average in formation and in the T-1. So take that for what it is worth.

Pneumonic: Of, affecting, or relating to the lungs; pulmonary. --"My buddy is in the hospital. He caught pneumonia."

Mnemonic: Assisting or intended to assist memory. --"Hoss has an awesome mnemonic...he uses 'BQZIPSMOM."

Ha ha. I love it when people use the wrong fucking words. It makes me want to drop a load of ordinance right on their freaking head when people do that.