Wisdom teeth and WP FC1

armoredmoonman

What's the deal with wisdom teeth at WP for FC1? I have 3 impacted according to my civilian dentist and he suggests removing them. None of them are bothering me at all, but I read on here that wisdom teeth are no go for FC1 at Brooks. I'm guessing it's still the same at WP? I have my FC1 scheduled in two weeks which is not enough time to get them pulled. How long does it take for them to clear your FC1 after you get them removed?

Wright-Patterson is Brooks. Everything just moved there. Whatever you read is about 4 years old.

It is difficult for anyone to advise you on dental concerns other than your dentist. If you can get them pulled in the next 3 days, you might recover in time, but if I were you, I'd wait and see what the Techs/Dentists say at WPAFB. If I remember correctly, the standard you need to meet is Dental Class 2 (read Attachment 2). I'll verify this Monday.

Again, this is all conjecture. Ask you civilian dentist about possible recovery length and need for medication.

Unless they have changed something in the last year or two, you will not pass the FCI with impacted wisdom teeth. If wisdom teeth are not impacted, you'll be okay, but if you have even one impacted, you will not pass the dental exam.

The normal procedure is then to mark you as Class 2 (not pass for an FCI or FCIa at least) and be told to get them out on your own dime. The FCI will be held until the dental is corrected. You normally get the impacted teeth removed, then either fax/mail copies of the treatment records back to the dental clinic or go back for a dental re-exam (or wherever they tell you). They'll review the treatment record and/or look at you again and upgrade the dental exam to Class 1 if it meets their standard. Same procedure as having cavities filled.

Again, not 100% positive, but that was the procedure for a few others I knew a year or two ago.

Not saying the guys above are wrong, but I do believe the dentist at my flying physical last summer said that I had 1 impacted wisdom tooth, but it did not have to come out right away. He told me to wait and have the AF pay to take out all 4 wisdom teeth, even though the other 3 came in fine I guess they are prone to cavities and such. Moral of the story, I got that approved stamp on my FC1, not sure if the tooth was impacted, or was "going to become impacted" I have yet to do anything about it as I am still waiting to EAD.

Not saying the guys above are wrong, but I do believe the dentist at my flying physical last summer said that I had 1 impacted wisdom tooth, but it did not have to come out right away. He told me to wait and have the AF pay to take out all 4 wisdom teeth, even though the other 3 came in fine I guess they are prone to cavities and such. Moral of the story, I got that approved stamp on my FC1, not sure if the tooth was impacted, or was "going to become impacted" I have yet to do anything about it as I am still waiting to EAD.

Yeah, it's really up to the individual dentist as to how he/she defines "unacceptable" in relation to the overall AF rules. If it's badly impacted, it's probably not acceptable; if it's "going to become impacted", then they may let it slide. You never really know what they'll say until you have the exam. If they decide it's bad, they'll probably follow the path of my earlier post. If they decide its okay for now, you're good.

I didn't want to take any chances since I'm applying to November board (Reserve applicant here) so I scheduled it for tomorrow to yank all four out. I don't have the time to wait for dental to go through after my initial FC1, so hopefully there will not be any issues. Thanks all for help.

• 11 months later...

I've read through the threads concerning this topic, looked at the regulation and spoke with a civilian oral surgeon, but I wanted to get an opinion from here, the all knowing internet.

My bottom wisdom teeth are horizontally impacted. One of them kept the last molar from erupting. All of the teeth are under the gum line and do not cause me any discomfort. The hang up is I cannot find anyone willing to pull them because they're located near the nerves on both sides. I currently have a class 3 medical (ATC). I'm curious if these need to be removed or if I can leave them and still get a FC1? If a doctor or anyone 'in the know' can shed light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Best

I've read through the threads concerning this topic, looked at the regulation and spoke with a civilian oral surgeon, but I wanted to get an opinion from here, the all knowing internet.

My bottom wisdom teeth are horizontally impacted. One of them kept the last molar from erupting. All of the teeth are under the gum line and do not cause me any discomfort. The hang up is I cannot find anyone willing to pull them because they're located near the nerves on both sides. I currently have a class 3 medical (ATC). I'm curious if these need to be removed or if I can leave them and still get a FC1? If a doctor or anyone 'in the know' can shed light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Dental is one of the most difficult areas to predict, as the regulation is somewhat vague. Here's what I found:

F6 - Aircrew members who have a significant dental defect which may be expected to cause a dental emergency during flight will be grounded.

So interpret that however you want. Take the advice of whoever your civilian dentist is.

Dental is one of the most difficult areas to predict, as the regulation is somewhat vague. Here's what I found:

So interpret that however you want. Take the advice of whoever your civilian dentist is.

Thanks, that basically how I interpreted it also. My dentist said the he didn't think it would become a factor. I just didn't know if the AF dentist would have to DQ me based on some regulation or if compacted wisdom teeth can somehow cause an adverse effect on flying. I guess I'll just wait it out and see, hopefully it doesn't put me behind the curve.

• 6 months later...

Finally I can post! I was having trouble receiving my validation email.

anyways hi all:

I am Jon a pilot candidate for HC-130's (CSAR) for the NYANG. I currently work at a major legacy airline, in airline operations management for the last 5 years. feel free to ask those airline questions lol.

I am currently in the pipeline. I have dates for my FC1 physical in march at wright pat. I stumbled upon a thread about wisdom teeth earlier, and it got me thinking. I never had mine pulled, nor did the ever bother me. My civilian dentist said, If they aren't causing me discomfort or pain then it wasn't worth the surgery. my 2 upper ones had stopped growing and did not erupt. my lower ones were partially erupted and one was slightly impacted, which was our concern. nevertheless I began investigating, and the regulations for the dental exam were written in a way where basically ... it was how the AF dentist felt and woke up that morning.

I got them pulled a week ago, still recovering. Mother air force did not pay for it.. all out of pocket.

Some tell me I should have waited for what the AF dentist told me some said they've gotten away with them.... I just had the get err' done attitude with them, and got them pulled.

this was the #1 stressor for my FC1...2nd is my weight im 5lbs over my max 186 however I am well within body fat % and waist standards.

• 2 years later...

Thread revival as I've got a question regarding eruption. I had 1 wisdom tooth removed due to impaction, but the other 3 came is fine with the exception of one of them basically halfway erupted. I know it's hard to predict, but impaction and eruption are 2 different things. Should I concern over this? I had my 1st tooth removed around 5 years ago and neither of the other 3 have bothered me. I leave for OTS in March and am trying to take care of everything that I need to before then.