PFC Bradley Manning gets 35 years

Tank

http://www.washingto...34cd_story.html He's lucky he didn't get life or the death penalty for what he did and now there are organizations petitioning President Obama to pardon him and his lawyer stated that he is planning on living his life as a women and if Ft. Leavenworth doesn't provide him with the hormone therapy he requires, then they are going to sue. WTF?!? When did espionage carry such a light sentence and when did federal prison become Club Med? Edit: PFC Bradley Manning Edited by Tank

This is a failure at so many levels before he/she even got a hold of classified information. His/her behavior was probably noticed in basic and just passed along as somebody's else's problem. This is what happens when the Army is just taking anybody to fill the ranks.

...and to think the guy that gave the order to committ the Haditha massacre in which 24 iraqi civilians were killed received a much harsher sentence of 3 months.

...but yet much less than the life in prison plea-deal that the Ft Lewis Army NCO is getting life for murdering all those Afghans. Unfortunately in a trial it goes down to what the prosecution thinks they can get vs what they believe should happen. I think Mannning definitely got what he deserved. He could have written various left wing Congressmen who I'm sure would have wanted to hear what he knew...but compromising classified info just to leak to some foreign national is a no-no.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, matmacwc said:

Obama just commuted its sentence from 35 years to this May.  If I hear anothe (D) complain about leaks or hacks I'll bring this crap up.  Ughhh

How is Manning related to Russian hacking during the presidential election? 

How is Manning related to Russian hacking during the presidential election? 

I think the connection he's making is that they're making such a big deal about leaks and shiite or the Snowden deal, and then they go and make it clear that leaking classified is NBD by cutting this sentence down.

23 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

I think the connection he's making is that they're making such a big deal about leaks and shiite or the Snowden deal, and then they go and make it clear that leaking classified is NBD by cutting this sentence down.

They care a lot about securing classified data.  Their POTUS nominee was known for careful security practices so you can tell how important this issue is.

• Upvote 2

I guess I still don't understand. Are you saying that by commuting Manning's sentence, Democrats don't care about classified data, and therefore are not allowed to claim they care about foreign influence in our elections?

They only care about leaking classified data if it's against them political ends.  Since Manning leaked against Dubya, and a war they didn't start (but sure carried on) - no harm, no foul.  They also care about classified only as long as they can strip headers from documents/emails for a personal, insecure server.

I really hope he's not considering a Snowden pardon...

Cry and scream about the Russians hacking yet let this clown go free and say "he's been punished enough".  I don't care what he says, between Hillary and now this, this is a dangerous precedent...

So why is he/she special enough to get almost 3 decades of his sentence commuted and not this guy?

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/08/19/sailor-gets-year-prison-taking-photos-nuclear-sub.html

:beer:

The sailor in question got 1 year in jail, Manning got 35.  Some quick googling indicates that the normal sentence for similar crimes  to Manning's is 3 years or less.  7 years in Leavenworth and a dishonorable discharge seems like enough to me.

Similar crimes? For releasing 750k documents containing classified and sensitive information?

Who got 3 years or less?
Pollard - life in prison
Ames - life
Hansen - 15 life sentences
Walker - life
Clinton - declined to prosecute

So I guess that averages out to 3 years. I guess it depends on what you call 'similar crimes'.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 5

Pollard, Hansen, & Ames betrayed the US for money.  Manning is a mentally ill dipshit who should have lost her clearance well before she did her damage.

True but I don't separate motivation for espionage from the act itself. They all did substantial damage to national security through their actions.

Are you saying that 'similar crime' must equate to similar motive?

47 minutes ago, Herk Driver said:

True but I don't separate motivation for espionage from the act itself. They all did substantial damage to national security through their actions.

Are you saying that 'similar crime' must equate to similar motive?

Would you make the same argument for murder vs. manslaughter? Isn't intent often used to determine sentencing?