PFC Bradley Manning gets 35 years

Tank

For the sake of argument, let's say that Hansen and Manning each caused the same amount of damage.  I'd still support a lighter sentence for Manning.  Hansen knowingly caused harm for money.  Manning thought she was doing the right thing (obviously she wasn't).  The law accounts for motive when assigning punishments, and it usually accounts for mental illness as well.  I can't imagine there would have been much uproar if Manning had originally been sentenced to 7 years.  If Manning had been found guilty of "aiding and abetting the enemy", 35 years would have been fine.  But she wasn't.

Further, I think Obama did everyone a favor by making this problem go away.  The next President doesn't have to deal with hysterical conspiracy theorists making Manning into a martyr if she manages to succeed with another of her suicide attempts.  The taxpayers are also off the hook for a sex change operation.  The law was upheld and a criminal punished with a reasonable sentence that accounted for mitigating circumstances while also being severe enough to deter future leakers.  I'm ok with this result.

• Upvote 1

Only try if you believe Manning is mentally ill. Manning didn't argue mental illness only that s/he served a greater good. If Manning had "aided and abetted " then 35 years probably wouldn't have been fine. Life? Maybe fine.

I could be wrong but I think the idea of the taxpayer being off the hook for the sex change is already water under the bridge.

7 years is probably not enough to deter future leakers but I guess we can disagree on that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

2 hours ago, HossHarris said:

I'd like to point out the great success of the SJW's and just how indoctrinated everyone has become ..... by calling manning "she."

My thoughts exactly!  WTF!

Edited by RTB