Question about the Coast Guard

Spaceballs

Is the Coast Guard still part of the actual military? I met a guy the other day who claimed to be a commander in the CG and got furious when I asked him about them being under the DHS and not DOD. He rambled on about how they are still military and blah blah. So do we actually salute higher ranking coasties? I'm not trying to insult the CG. There are a lot of organizations who are not military that do some tough work (CIA, DEA, FBI, etc). I'm just trying to figure out if they are still considered military and why. They protect the homeland, but they don't take the fight to the bad guys like the four main branches.

Is the Coast Guard still part of the actual military? I met a guy the other day who claimed to be a commander in the CG and got furious when I asked him about them being under the DHS and not DOD. He rambled on about how they are still military and blah blah. So do we actually salute higher ranking coasties? I'm not trying to insult the CG. There are a lot of organizations who are not military that do some tough work (CIA, DEA, FBI, etc). I'm just trying to figure out if they are still considered military and why. They protect the homeland, but they don't take the fight to the bad guys like the four main branches.

They are commissioned officers. Treat them with the proper customs and courtesies that they rate as such.

Don't be so short sighted and closed minded.

• Upvote 1

In fact, we salute all senior officers of any of the SEVEN uniformed services--even the ones that are definitely not considered "military" and or "noncombatant uniformed services" (i.e., PHSCC and NOAA Corps).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniformed_services_of_the_United_States

Random knowledge. Enjoy the reads!

P.S. Wikipedia is your friend.

They are commissioned officers. Treat them with the proper customs and courtesies that they rate as such.

Don't be so short sighted and closed minded.

Thank you for the fail post. It was a question. Last i checked asking a question to clarify something is the exact opposite of short-sighted and closed-minded. GTFO.

And a real thank you to the actual answers.

Edited by Cgjohnst

Thank you for the fail post. It was a question. Last i checked asking a question to clarify something is the exact opposite of short-sighted and closed-minded. GTFO.

And a real thank you to the actual answers.

It wasn't a "fail" (sic) post, it was a direct answer to something you should already know...

And if you didn't, you should put more effort into finding the answer yourself being showing your ass on a public forum.

Lastly, this type of question goes in the General Discussion area ("discuss general topics in the Military and Aviation"), not the Squadron Bar ("off-topic discussions"). I've moved it in the correct section, please put a little more thought into where to post threads in the future.

Is the Coast Guard still part of the actual military?

Our good friend Wikipedia says "The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country's seven uniformed services. The Coast Guard is a maritime, military, multi-mission service unique among the U.S. military branches for having a maritime law enforcement mission (with jurisdiction in both domestic and international waters) and a federal regulatory agency mission as part of its mission set. It operates under the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime, and can be transferred to the Department of the Navy by the President at any time, or by Congress during time of war."

He rambled on about how they are still military and blah blah... I'm just trying to figure out if they are still considered military and why. They protect the homeland, but they don't take the fight to the bad guys like the four main branches... I'm not trying to insult the CG.

"I'm not saying your mother's a whore... I'm just saying she has sex with lots of people for money!"

It was a question. Last i checked asking a question to clarify something is the exact opposite of short-sighted and closed-minded.

In between asking your question you threw out a lot of insults; I'm not a smart man, but I'm pretty certain that's what swanee was referring to.

• Upvote 1

At least two Coasties graduated BUD/S before the Coast Guard SEAL program was suspended. If they can get through one of the toughest military schools in the world, I'd say they are military. Edited by Catbox

And, according to the ones in a strange green-colored camo uniform that I've talked to in the Coast Guard mess where I have lunch most days, these guys are deployed to Afghanistan and doing some pretty serious shit over there. DHS or DoD, any folks that do that AND go out to rescue people in the exact weather everyone else watches from the squadron bar have earned huge respect.

God forbid we use the military to do that...

• Upvote 1