gearpig

Leaving the Air Force for the Airlines

4 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Where was this advice a couple of years ago. Ugh.

For real though, it's a fine line. I stayed too close and found myself picked up for school as a candidate (thanks to the mass exodus most likely) and now 3-years non-flying at an AOC.

did the same but turned down school.. that's when I had no choice to show my cards :D

#humblebrag

Meh but who cares. That’s like bragging that you were the last man still standing on the deck of the titanic.

42 minutes ago, Duck said:

Meh but who cares. That’s like bragging that you were the last man still standing on the deck of the titanic.

Just how I thought, but you had better words than I could come up with.

Edited by sputnik

My therapist says I have a way with words...

1 hour ago, Duck said:

My therapist says I have a way with words...

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2017 at 5:52 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Where was this advice a couple of years ago. Ugh.

For real though, it's a fine line. I stayed too close and found myself picked up for school as a candidate (thanks to the mass exodus most likely) and now 3-years non-flying at an AOC.

Can you teach powered flight or something?  If not check out the aero club at the Academy...some of the most beautiful flying in the country, better than nothing! Congrats.

Dudes getting picked up by the Major Airlines - what are your quals? Which airlines are taking the lowest hour mil guys? Us single seat folks don't rack up hours very quickly and the regionals is going to suck . . .

58 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

Dudes getting picked up by the Major Airlines - what are your quals? Which airlines are taking the lowest hour mil guys? Us single seat folks don't rack up hours very quickly and the regionals is going to suck . . .

If you’re current and qualified you should have no problem getting to the majors. A spin through the regionals is usually for guys that haven’t flown in 3-5 years. 

I got hired or called by all the major airlines with less than 3k single seat hours and an atp. But I stayed for 20. Folks are certainly getting hired with less. 

Edited by HossHarris

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

if you do at least two manned flying assignments you probably are good on hours. I had 1250 TPIC when I got picked up.

2 hours ago, Crosswind said:

1500 hours in vipers + UPT.

A fighter guy with 1500 hours total, some IP time, and an ATP will get hired at a major. I personally know a couple. 

• Upvote 1

1800TT, 850 in Vipers, 4 ship Flight lead with a hundred or so 121 hours, hired at 2 Legacies in mid 2014.  Pretty certain I was hired because I had checked the 121 container, on top of my mil time.  If your goal is the legacies asap, don't scoff the regionals.  

On 10/5/2017 at 9:29 PM, Warrior said:

He said 3 years non-flying AT an AOC.  

He did not say 3 years non-flying AS an AOC.

Reading comprehension inop, my bad.

• Upvote 1

Plane - Total time/IP time

T6 - 825/655

MC12 - 754/0

KC135 - 1200/600

I was direct to A-code for each plane, so I used 85% of total time for PIC time.

Just got an invite to AA interview. UPS app is "active," which means it meets their scoring criteria. I just signed up for the SWA hiring window, so we'll see if I get a call from them. The only internal recommendation I have at the moment is with UPS.

My availability date is set to 1 Jan 2018, so I was surprised to get a hit from AA for the video interview in early September.

I also got a CJO at a regional, but that wasn't surprising.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, SocialD said:

1800TT, 850 in Vipers, 4 ship Flight lead with a hundred or so 121 hours, hired at 2 Legacies in mid 2014.  Pretty certain I was hired because I had checked the 121 container, on top of my mil time.  If your goal is the legacies asap, don't scoff the regionals.  

Old gouge. If you're current, you don't need to waste your time with a regional.

I had 1750 (1500 PIC) hrs TT when I got hired last year.

Recency is the most important factor. If you have the ATP, and are current, it is reasonable with a mil background to expect a call.

38 minutes ago, Buddy Spike said:

Old gouge. If you're current, you don't need to waste your time with a regional.

This is true until you don't get a call approaching your availability date. If you are getting ready to separate and don't have an interview, I know several people who have been very successful picking up a regional job for a couple of months. I'd choose a flying reserve job over a regional, but some guys don't have that option.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Buddy Spike said:

How is that "old gouge"?

He wasn't suggesting that anyone *had* to do time at the regionals in order to get hired at The Show, but that 121 time on a military guy's application was looked at quite favorably.

That's still very much true, so for guys who don't have class dates at a "career airline" by the time their separation date comes around (or have issues with total time or currency/recency), the regionals remain a great option rather than sitting in your house on the couch doing nothing and waiting for the call.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Buddy Spike said:

I kind of read between the lines based on his post and the fact that his location is "midwest Viper unit."  I assumed crosswind was a Guard baby, probably not an IP and likely didn't have 1500TT or the 1000 turbine.  We have quite a few guys who have 500-700 Viper hours, but are short of the 1500TT or 1000 Turbine requirement.  A few of them have chosen to roll to the regionals to get their TT and turbine time up fast.  Much better than slugging it out full time for another 3-5years getting 150-175 hours/yr, while all those seniority numbers pile on top.  It worked great for me, as I got to the legacies faster than most of our senior IPs.  Again, I firmly believe that checking the 121 container is what got me called so early.  It damn sure wasn't my sub 3.0 GPA in Aviation...

Based on your times and assuming that you're an IP/EP, you were right in the window for fighter guys.  However, for the young guys out there with low fighter hours, the regionals may just be the faster way to the airlines.  

11 hours ago, Hacker said:

How is that "old gouge"?

He wasn't suggesting that anyone *had* to do time at the regionals in order to get hired at The Show, but that 121 time on a military guy's application was looked at quite favorably.

That's still very much true, so for guys who don't have class dates at a "career airline" by the time their separation date comes around (or have issues with total time or currency/recency), the regionals remain a great option rather than sitting in your house on the couch doing nothing and waiting for the call.

IIRC that used to be the conventional wisdom back in the timeframe he was talking about before airlines were hiring like they are today. 121 time would push guys over the edge to get a call.  My point was that 121 time is no longer required, and having a clean record and currency is more important for a military guy. Going to a regional isn't a requirement and won't really do anything for you if you're a current/qualified mil guy these days.

But you're right. If your separation date is upcoming (admittedly, I didn't think of it within the context of an active duty guy retiring) and you haven't heard anything or if you don't have the hours yet, absolutely go get a job at a regional. 

• Upvote 1

Your avatar compelled me to respond where normally I would view internet chest beating “LOOK AT ME, I GOT HIRED” as a masturbatory waste of time. Now let me reverse myself and do precisely that.

FDX
2500 total
1600 PIC
2x heavy MWS IP
Safety school
BS Masters degree
3x type ratings from mil acft + 737 from ATP sims

I don’t think any anonymous internet hero will have a good read on all the majors internal guidance on the lowest hrs being called to interview. All I know are the big three—DAL, AAL, and UAL don’t appear to have any real difficult mins published on their websites. And ZERO PIC time from what I can tell. Those mins are almost non-existent.

FDX is still hanging on to their 1000 turbine PIC mins “preferred” which you should read as required. I haven’t met anyone in Memphis who was an SIC-only wonder boy. I have heard internet tales of these unicorns over at pax carriers on the APC forums though.

From what I’ve observed, any of these majors you’d want to work at LOVE mil guys. Although some SS fighter guys tend to have a rough time in the training phase dealing with another crewmember, all that shit eventually evens out and the company gets a “mission-oriented” pilot who wants to help the company make $$.

Get your apps in, update every month, play the waiting game. You’ve got nothing to lose. And good luck!

The single-seat to crewed airplane stuff isn’t cosmic at all, although it’s a stereotype for a reason....

dont be an asshole and you’ll do fine.  And when you get to the Ep part where they give you the plane and the radios it’s easy. Although you will have to get your own atis in that situation. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2017 at 2:21 PM, Buddy Spike said:

Disagree.

I know plenty of high-time guys with single-seat time AND crew time that are not getting the call.

Part 121 Regional work should not be removed from the decision matrix.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1