gearpig

Leaving the Air Force for the Airlines

JO missed that class when he took his MBA that said when supply gets short, pay has to go up to attract new talent and you can no longer treat your employees like meat.

JO missed that class when he took his MBA that said when supply gets short, pay has to go up to attract new talent and you can no longer treat your employees like meat.

Fingers Goldfein missed that class too...

I don't know if I'd blame Fingers so much as I would Congress.  

So far he's met with airline execs and sent out memos on empowering sq/ccs and allowing sleeves to be rolled up. There are still many steps he can take to try to unf*ck the Air Force without needing to go to Congress, but he has chosen not to take them.
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, FUSEPLUG said:

I don't know if I'd blame Fingers so much as I would Congress.  

The vast majority of reasons that guys are separating for are 100% in the span of control of the CSAF.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hacker said:

The vast majority of reasons that guys are separating for are 100% in the span of control of the CSAF.

The shoes would just stab him in the back and SJW's in uniform would cry right to the press. Outside of MX, SP's, Op's, and Spec Op's the rest of the USAF looks like huge giant safe space ready to call troops who are mission first bigots, fill in the blank phoebes or racists. It has happened to me when I step outside my MX bubble and converse will other USAF members who can't tell the difference between a ICBM and a C-5.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Prosuper said:

The shoes would just stab him in the back and SJW's in uniform would cry right to the press. Outside of MX, SP's, Op's, and Spec Op's the rest of the USAF looks like huge giant safe space ready to call troops who are mission first bigots, fill in the blank phoebes or racists. It has happened to me when I step outside my MX bubble and converse will other USAF members who can't tell the difference between a ICBM and a C-5.

Ah, yes...the folks for whom we should re-name the service "The Force".

Well, this oughta take care of anymore fly-bys...

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2017-09-14/industry-panel-weighs-rolling-back-aviation-safety-rules

In other words, if you can't get Congress to do it, then getting vested interests to apply pressure is Plan B.  Sounds remarkably familiar, no?

Faye Malarkey Black, president of the regional airline association, said the proposed changes would incorporate more meaningful education into pilot training than mere flight hours.

"Far from weakening safety, it's one of the most important things we can do right now to advance pilot training," she said.

Riiiiight

4 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Well, this oughta take care of anymore fly-bys...

https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2017-09-14/industry-panel-weighs-rolling-back-aviation-safety-rules

In other words, if you can't get Congress to do it, then getting vested interests to apply pressure is Plan B.  Sounds remarkably familiar, no?

You're pretty interested in airline hiring, for a nav.  

20 minutes ago, Karl Hungus said:

Not even that. 

Or even in a uniform for almost ten years now.

However, pointing out the many, many, many times that Big Blue has said one thing while doing another is a sad hobby of mine.

But if the messenger is more important than the message, I can't do anything about that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Karl Hungus said:

I was at the Reno Races on Friday, and was in a conversation with 3 other guys that were airline pilots:  all three were former Navs, and none of them had done the military pilot transition. 

5 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

I was at the Reno Races on Friday, and was in a conversation with 3 other guys that were airline pilots:  all three were former Navs, and none of them had done the military pilot transition. 

I'm never flying commercially again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

A year ago I ended up being forced to fly back home on a CRJ regional out of Dallas. I had never really flown in anything like that before but noticed the airplane just sounded like it had a lot of drag after takeoff. Thought nothing of it until about 45 mins into the flight, I felt the main gear go up in the wheel wells below me. We were hauling @$$ too. Then I got to see them fly over my home airport and divert to a place that had maintenance. Sure enough, over the intercom they told us all they had a gear issue and were diverting. Panic ensued from the passengers on the plane. All in all a great flight, I wanted to say hi to the pilots but they stayed locked in the cockpit until after we were off the plane. Got a free  nights stay in BFE, Texas. Needless to say, I ended up just renting a car and driving the next day...

Edited by Duck

4 minutes ago, Duck said:

about 45 mins into the flight, I felt the main gear go up in the wheel wells below me

"positive rate"

"nice"

"how's the wife?" 

45 mins later  - oh shit, gear up

Edited by extender10
  • Upvote 4

"3 greens" isn't part of the cruise level off check in a CRJ?

Edited by HU&W

22 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Not even that. 

Or even in a uniform for almost ten years now.

However, pointing out the many, many, many times that Big Blue has said one thing while doing another is a sad hobby of mine.

But if the messenger is more important than the message, I can't do anything about that.

I've seen several navs (and FEs, loads, booms, etc) building hours and getting ratings in the quest to get hired by a regional.  A few have indicated that they want a repeal of the 1500 hours requirement for an ATP, as it would let them get hired sooner.  Gotta protect people from themselves I guess.  Thought you said elsewhere you were a nav... figured you might have similar desires.

:beer: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duck said:

A year ago I ended up being forced to fly back home on a CRJ regional out of Dallas. I had never really flown in anything like that before but noticed the airplane just sounded like it had a lot of drag after takeoff. Thought nothing of it until about 45 mins into the flight, I felt the main gear go up in the wheel wells below me. We were hauling @$$ too. Then I got to see them fly over my home airport and divert to a place that had maintenance. Sure enough, over the intercom they told us all they had a gear issue and were diverting. Panic ensued from the passengers on the plane. All in all a great flight, I wanted to say hi to the pilots but they stayed locked in the cockpit until after we were off the plane. Got a free  nights stay in BFE, Texas. Needless to say, I ended up just renting a car and driving the next day...

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/airliner-forced-land-after-pilots-accidentally-leave-landing-gear-down-for-entire-flight/YCu3nXWUl3367aYfQHffMJ/

1 hour ago, Duck said:

And they want $15 an hour.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Karl Hungus said:

Thought you said elsewhere you were a nav... 

ABM (ret). 

Or meth dealer.

Same thing really...

And no desire to get behind of the yoke of anything other than a Cessna or an ultralight.

Edited by brickhistory

1 hour ago, matmacwc said:

And they want $15 an hour.

To be fair, the regionals aren't the only place with stupid-pilot-tricks.

Slide8.JPG

On 9/18/2017 at 9:11 AM, HuggyU2 said:

I hear there are even enlisted shoe clerks in the left seat at the legacy carriers.

22 minutes ago, LJDRVR said:

I hear there are even enlisted shoe clerks in the left seat at the legacy carriers.

Thats funny, I know 1.

4 hours ago, LJDRVR said:

tenor.gif