gearpig

Leaving the Air Force for the Airlines

Hacker    674
4 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Pictures of Huggy's custom mancave below.

Not enough Otto Lilienthal autographs or leftover Wright Flyer parts.

• Upvote 1

ATIS    71
5 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

That picture smells like a gym sock.  A damp, left in the bottom of some kids locker way too long gym sock. 

No visual on leather bound books, below right there. 

ATIS

• Upvote 1

dream big    129
On 7/23/2017 at 10:48 PM, JeremiahWeed said:

:beer: Absolutely top notch, I frickin laughed my ass off. No need to try in this case, it's worthy of appropriate scorn and ridicule. 

Baseops doesn't underline it in red 'cuz it somehow knows you meant the shit out of what you just typed.  :aviator:

Haha, says the guy supporting grammar Nazis while posting like a college kid.  Lay off the Whiskey next time you try to make a cogent point. 

JeremiahWeed    117
22 hours ago, dream big said:

Haha, says the guy supporting grammar Nazis while posting like a college kid.  Lay off the Whiskey next time you try to make a cogent point. 

Holy shit, you must be a blast on a TDY.  You go out in the sun with that thin skin?  Might be time to lighten up, just a bit. 

JS    89

Not exactly "leaving the AF for the airlines" material, but does anyone know anyone with experience coming off Army Guard helos into the airline world?  A good friend in helos is interested in the airlines.  Of course, if he can get into the C-12, that would be a good lead in, but he isn't the only Army helo guy with that idea.  It seems like the regionals would be his best bet to build his fixed wing time for the majors, but he's not qualified for the regionals yet.  What I gleaned so far from a cursory search on the web:

- you need 250 total fixed wing and 250 hours of PIC (possibly airplane PIC, but some regionals don't specify if helo PIC counts) to get hired at the regionals, in addition to 1500/1000/750 restricted ATP total time.

- I assume his helo time counts for the total time and that he qualifies for the 750 hour threshold as a graduate of a military flying school. 

- Also need 25 hours multiengine airplane.

- So his biggest obstacle is obviously the fixed wing and multi-engine times, and the only way I see fixing that, short of just paying out of pocket to fly at the local FBO, is a helo transition program that Envoy has.  Apparently they set you up with some outfit called Coast Flight training to get whatever fixed wing hours/PIC time and ratings you need to meet the mins.  Envoy will apparently pay part of the cost and then help facilitate the use of the GI bill to pay the rest.   Anyone have any insights into this besides from Envoys website and from the article in Flying magazine last January?  

sputnik    105

Ive seen periodic threads on APC about it, though a brief search only turned up this

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/military/103780-former-navy-rotor-guy-jumping-rtp.html

Granted I aint the most tech saavy.

I know there is an Army aviation centric forum out there that would probably be the most useful, but cant recollect the name offhand.

Edit, mabe aptap dot org is the one I was thinking of?

Edited by sputnik
  • Like 1

The 1 guy I know that fits this category had plenty of time initially in helos, but more recent was his few thou in a ANG Army C-12.  He was hired by UAL in 2012. If I remember his resume correctly, he had about a 50/50 split in time, but he had lots. He's probably in his late 40s by now.

• Like 1

HuggyU2    908

BTW... Southwest is taking applications until 11 Aug.  

swa.pilotcredentials.com

Snooter    102
On 8/4/2017 at 0:21 AM, disgruntledemployee said:

The 1 guy I know that fits this category had plenty of time initially in helos, but more recent was his few thou in a ANG Army C-12.  He was hired by UAL in 2012. If I remember his resume correctly, he had about a 50/50 split in time, but he had lots. He's probably in his late 40s by now.

I know someone similar to this, if not the same person...

FUSEPLUG    219
14 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

BTW... Southwest is taking applications until 11 Aug.  

swa.pilotcredentials.com

They're still saying upwards of 800 (total) hired this year with numbers as high as 1000 for 2018 coming from the training folks. I'll believe it when I see it, but the first few sims in the new building should be up and running soon.

Currently just over 8840 pilots on the roster. 

fire4effect    40
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:43 AM, ClearedHot said:

HT_retro_70s_home_3_jt_160905_4x3_992.jp

Is that "Debbie Does Dallas" on VHS on the table:beer:

Prosuper    221

I have been invited to apply for a MX position with Virgin Galactic working with space/aircraft at Mojave and Las Cruses. Has anybody else around here have any intell on this company. Currently at Tinker doing KC-135 flight testing/postdock and to tell you the truth I am bored out of my mind.  I'm really intrigued about getting into something this new and don't have to use USAJOBS.Gov to be part of space. 

• Upvote 3

gearpig    1,553

I thought there was another poster here who worked for either Virgin or SpaceX, but not sure what thread he posted in. 

Go for it!

matmacwc    1,092
54 minutes ago, Prosuper said:

I have been invited to apply for a MX position with Virgin Galactic working with space/aircraft at Mojave and Las Cruses. Has anybody else around here have any intell on this company. Currently at Tinker doing KC-135 flight testing/postdock and to tell you the truth I am bored out of my mind.  I'm really intrigued about getting into something this new and don't have to use USAJOBS.Gov to be part of space. 

Knew a pilot of theirs, he left due to safety reasons.

HuggyU2    908

I've got a good friend, and former U-2 squadron commander, that is one of their pilots.  I've met the other pilots, and some of the engineers.  I don't think you'd be bored, but that's just my impression as an outsider.  

My friend could do just about anything (TPS grad, semi-finalist for the Shuttle, etc...), but he seems to like it there.  

Seriously    116
8 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

I've got a good friend, and former U-2 squadron commander, that is one of their pilots.  I've met the other pilots, and some of the engineers.  I don't think you'd be bored, but that's just my impression as an outsider.  

My friend could do just about anything (TPS grad, semi-finalist for the Shuttle, etc...), but he seems to like it there.  

Gump?

HuggyU2    908

No, Gump test flies for a big company in Wichita. 

fire4effect    40
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, Prosuper said:

Good luck. I've looked at the switch from aircraft to the space side. Especially with the new Space Launch System coming online down in Florida. It seems everyone wants  specific experience related to space vehicles. Agree that USA Jobs seems to be a dead end portal for most of the more desirable appearing jobs. I have heard some good things about  Blue  Origin though.

Termy    59

Fwiw, its las cruces. And having lived near there and near mojave-I'd suggest Mojave (but live in Tehachapi) if given the choice. Both are middle of nowhere but at least you can get places from mojave. 

MooseAg03    127

I know I've asked about medical benefits, but wasn't sure if I asked about B Fund contributions by the airlines. Are there any limits like there are with 401K contributions or is the 16% valid no matter what the salary? That means at $200k a year you receive $32k in contributions. If that's the case this is worth upwards of $2 million after a 26 year airline career at a 7% return. Sounds too good to be true.

SocialD    385
2 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

I know I've asked about medical benefits, but wasn't sure if I asked about B Fund contributions by the airlines. Are there any limits like there are with 401K contributions or is the 16% valid no matter what the salary? That means at $200k a year you receive $32k in contributions. If that's the case this is worth upwards of $2 million after a 26 year airline career at a 7% return. Sounds too good to be true.

You're limited by a few things here.  The 415 limit for 2017 is $54,000 (unless you're 50+ then I believe it's 60k).  Then there is the compensation limit of $270,000.  Both of these numbers are adjusted yearly.  

415 limit.  This applies to your 401k contributions + the company contributions + 401a + TSP.  All of these combined can not exceed $54,000.  

Compensation limit.  Once you hit $270,000 the company contributions stop.  Since we have 16%, the max company contributions would be $43,200, leaving you with only needing to contribute $10,800 to hit the 415 limit.  Here is where companies start to vary...at DAL, once we hit the limit, that 16% comes back to us as taxable earnings.  We also earn 16% DC on our profit sharing checks.  

With the current compensation limit of 270k, we would need 20% DC to have the company fully fund our 54k.  

Edit:  Be careful if you continue to contribute to your TSP, as you'll have to manage your accounts to stop contributions so you do not exceed the 54k limit.  ...firstworldproblems 

Edited by SocialD

gearpig    1,553

Sick tat, bro. Which one of you is this?

In fairness, good judgement was exercised in waiting until you had 3 years seniority.

image.thumb.png.c0fddf1771581c57431494271cea4e9c.png