Just turned 29 and looking at my options

bb17

So far I've interviewed 4 times over the last year and a half and haven't managed to land a slot. My last interview was a couple weeks ago for a Reserve slot. My guess is that I might have a couple more shots at Guard units since they don't have to wait until a Reserve board to know if they can hire me. Have you seen anybody get hired at 29?

I'll chime in with limited experience. Personally, I haven't seen anyone get hired after turning 29. Also, I only know one person who went from hire to UPT in less than a year (11 months and some days).

With that being said, give it everything you've got for the next year. If it doesn't work out, you can at least live without regret or "what ifs?" and move on to the next chapter of your life.

Also, I believe the age limit for Army Helo pilots is a little higher, which could be pretty sweet!

FWIW ive seen 2 dudes recently get picked up for OTS at 28yo and change. Havent witnessed anyone older than that but im still a noob so im sure some others will chime in with some more information. You could also try and get ETP but pretty sure that isnt too likely. If this is something you really want then I would try my hardest to push for this. Good luck!

Rare because it shouldnt happen, why would a unit want to hire an old dude with no experience or credibility?

Maybe an old dude with no experience or credibility is at least more mature or has work experience compared to a young dude, with no experience or credibility?

• Upvote 2

Rare because it shouldnt happen, why would a unit want to hire an old dude with no experience or credibility?

Fortunately for me I'm just an old dude.

Edited by bb17

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I am in a similar situation. I am currently at age 32, working as a civilian electrical engineer with a TS clearance at an Air Force base that primarily maintains F-16’s and plans to acquire a large number of F-35’s in the next few years. I passed the MEPS physical and have taken the AFOQT (Pilot 78, Navigator 70), TBAS, ASVAB (91), and am in the process of accumulating flight hours and possibly obtaining a PPL.  Since my age is a big factor, what would be the fastest or most probable way to obtain training to fly a turbofan-powered aircraft with a thrust-to-weight ratio close to 1 in the front or back seat (CSO, WSO, pilot)?  I am open to any path or branch (OTS, ROTC, Air Force, Navy, Air Guard, etc).  Perhaps it’s possible to train as an enlisted RPA pilot then switch to manned aircraft, or go in as an engineer then switch to flight?  Who are the most important people to impress (other pilots, commanders, recruiters)?  I know UPT basics like the T-6 boldface, and some BFM (couters, turn-circle geometry, reversals).  I am more than willing to put in the work, I just want to know where to focus it, or which branch of service.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

I am in a similar situation. I am currently at age 32, working as a civilian electrical engineer with a TS clearance at an Air Force base that primarily maintains F-16’s and plans to acquire a large number of F-35’s in the next few years. I passed the MEPS physical and have taken the AFOQT (Pilot 78, Navigator 70), TBAS, ASVAB (91), and am in the process of accumulating flight hours and possibly obtaining a PPL.  Since my age is a big factor, what would be the fastest or most probable way to obtain training to fly a turbofan-powered aircraft with a thrust-to-weight ratio close to 1 in the front or back seat (CSO, WSO, pilot)?  I am open to any path or branch (OTS, ROTC, Air Force, Navy, Air Guard, etc).  Perhaps it’s possible to train as an enlisted RPA pilot then switch to manned aircraft, or go in as an engineer then switch to flight?  Who are the most important people to impress (other pilots, commanders, recruiters)?  I know UPT basics like the T-6 boldface, and some BFM (couters, turn-circle geometry, reversals).  I am more than willing to put in the work, I just want to know where to focus it, or which branch of service.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Style points for emailing 1FW/ALL with your question. ...that's one technique, I guess

Style points for emailing 1FW/ALL with your question. ...that's one technique, I guess

Serious?

I was going to post a new thread, but this seems like a good existing thread to post my question in.  I would like get a spot at UPT, and was told that I am too old. Here's my situation:

College Degree: B.S.: Nuclear Medicine Technology
GPA 3.35
Flight hours: ~35 hours (most of which were acquired a decade ago)
Currently work in R&D for medical devices
Physical: In good shape, with a month or two to train I could score really well on a physical test

At this point I've only had a brief conversation with a local recruiter who basically said, "oh, yeah...sorry. If you were turning 28, instead of 29..." I thought I would ask here before I try to press him on this issue.

First: Is there any way to complete all testing and paperwork in time to be seen before a selection committee prior to May 19th (my 29th birthday).
Second: Would that matter (I.e., would I even be considered for an interview?)
Third: Is it possible to start UPT by 30, given where I am at right now?

I guess what I'm asking is, if this is something I really want, and if I were to score well on all tests and benchmarks... do I have a shot? Or would I be wasting my energy on something that just isn't going to happen?

On 9/23/2015 at 1:50 PM, bb17 said:

Chiming back in after a couple years. I got selected at age 31. So if you are wondering, it is possible if you are determined to make it happen! 

"So you're saying there's a chance?!" lol

AD/ANG/Reserves??

You were selected at 31? How old will you be when you start UPT? In my scenario (see above), I was wondering if it would be an option (if I were seen fit to be selected) that they would select me for a class that would fall before my 30th, but was full, and then reassign to a later class with openings with an age waiver (which my recruiter is insisting they are not offering at this time). It was simply an "out-there" hypothetical I was throwing around in my head. 

It's definitely not "out there" to go to UPT when you're 29/30+. As long as your class start date is prior to your 30th bday, I don't think you need a waiver (you'll have to check me on that). But even after that you can get an age waiver (there is literally a waiver for everything)...and that's for active duty, ANG and AFR. Don't let a recruiter tell you no. In my UPT class there were 4 of us that were over 30.

If it's something you want to do, keep asking and pushing. Find the regs, and if a recruiter tells you no, show them the regs. They may not know, or they may not want to do the work to push a waiver. In any case, it's certainly still a possibility for you if you decide it's the path you want to pursue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Does age matter more if you are applying for a 'Fighter Wing' ? I am considering on applying at my local ANG unit in Oregon who flies F-15s while applying to go for an active duty pilot slot at the same time. I am currently 27.5 years old & have a PPL Airplane w/ 150+ flight hours. Also, are the AFOQT score and GPA expectations the same regardless of Guard/reserve unit airframe? I know that in military flight schools, certain grades are required to fly certain aircraft after completing UPT or primary (jet grades etc.).