MCPS Goretex Jacket

USMCAirWinger

I have a few questions for anyone that has been issued this jacket for the AOR.

1. Was it a huge improvement over the standard issue one regarding survivality?

2. Was it comfortable to wear in the cockpit (pointy nose types)?

3. Did you get the pants as well?

Thanks.

1) Unknown survivabilty / fire protection improvement

2) No...I tried wearing it a few times before I deployed and I couldn't get it to break in...was like it was over starched...very stiff (STS). I ended up wearing my normal green nomex jacket down range.

3) No

Cheers,

Cap-10

Our whole squadron had them last winter. I would say about 20-30% of the guys used it and liked it. The only complaint with them is that the arms where longer/bigger than a jacket that size. It took a little getting use to but I know once I got use to it I used it on most sorties.

• 2 years later...

Just curious where the guidance is for the wear of this jacket... was looking in 36-2903 and it mentions the "Gore-tex jacket", does it actually mean this jacket?  I saw they have gore-tex flight jackets available at the base issue store (the clerk told me they were flight approved) and was thinking about getting it to replace my much much older green nomex jacket.  I assume you do not change any of velcro, or add to it (looks like a name, command, and flag velcro was already on it), nor sew on rank since that would probably ruin the gore-tex-iness of it, correct? Thanks!

I think the AFI reference to "gore tex jackets" is the ABU APECS jacket.

We can't wear the MCPS outside flight duties.  Personally, I like having shell pants, but usually wear the winter flight jacket vs. MCPS fleece and shell.  That said, I'm a Huey guy, not a pointy-nose type.