Allergies/Allergy info

Guest JPritch

Guest JPritch

Flight Doc, I've read some of your other posts on allergies, but am having a hard time determining whether or not I will be DQ'd or waivered.

I've had seasonal allergies since I was a child. I've gotten prescriptions and even did allergy shots for a few years.

I've been allergy and prescription free for about 8 years now (I'm 24). I can cut grass, play softball in Spring etc. with no problems.

I started the allergy shot routine after age 12, but I'm pretty sure my first visit to the doctor about my allergies occurred before age 12. Would I be waiverable?

Otherwise, I have perfect vision and no history of any other medical problems. I'm hoping this one thing won't keep me from flying!

Guest 1lebo4#

JPritch,

I am not a Doc but I would not admit anything that is not affecting you now. I am a pilot and have dealt with plenty of flight Docs, most of them very good. All Navy and Marine pilots go through what we call NAMI WAMI. It is basically the king of medical evaluations in Pensacola Florida. When you get there the first thing you do in the morning is fill out a questionnaire about your medical condition. All kinds of questions about allergies, headaches etc. Some forms even have a question asking if you are breathing just to see if you are actually reading the questions. You see, pilots are known for checking no, whether it is true or not, on almost all questions so they throw in that trick question. My advice is to not admit anything minor that is not affecting you now - allergies included? One question asks if you have ever had allergy problems. Those who said yes spent the rest of the morning getting sticked with every mold, fungus, etc known to man even. Almost everybody has had some level of allergy problems in life. Do not give them a reason to DQ you unless you feel it is significant. Who cares if you had allergies as a kid? You may develop them in the future but then again you may not. Plenty of people fly with allergies. I am not saying to mislead on bigger issues. We had a guy who had eye surgery earlier in life and tried to get by without admitting it. Another had asthma and lied about it. Not smart. Basically, be as honest as you can but use common sense. Get past your physical and then down the line deal with the minor problem if you have to. Good luck

• 1 year later...
Guest F16PilotMD

Allergies are pretty simple...they are a bad thing if you want to fly in the USAF.

Per AFI48-123:

A7.2.2.1. A verified history of allergic, nonallergic, or vasomotor rhinitis, after age 12.

The waiver guide is very clear for Initial Flying Class 1:

A verified history of allergic rhinitis after age 12 is disqualifying for FCI and IA. In a trained flyer, allergic rhinitis that is mild in degree and unlikely to limit flying activities does not require a waiver. For more significant symptoms, a waiver is possible for continued FCII and III duties, provided symptoms are controlled with the approved modes of therapy without adverse reaction or side effects.

Guest perhaps

What documentation does a doctor provide to say your are allergic to somthing? Does a doc prescribing you allegra once or twice as a teen disqualify you, or is something more in depth needed? I guess my question boils down to this: Can I say i have never been diagnosed with seasonal/nasal allergies if i have never been thru any test BUT have been prescribed allegra?

Any info is appreciated.

Guest F16PilotMD

This gets a bit sticky but, in my opinion, yes. The problem is that there really are not any tests to be run to make a diagnosis of seasonal allergic rhinitis. Allergy testing (scratch tests, etc) are just not done that often anymore now that easy, safe drugs like Allegra, Claritin, Zyrtec are available to cover most allergies. So most people carry a presumptive diagnosis of seasonal allergies. Sometimes, there is never a diagnosis made...the Rx is given just as a trial...it works and then gets used as needed. Claritin is available without prescription now so its use is going to be even more common.

I never advocate being dishonest. My line of logic is this...if never tested for allergies and all you have are mild periodic symptoms, that is not a diagnosis of seasonal allergies. Also, just because a drug made you feel better, that is not a diagnosis of seasonal allergies.

There are definitely hairs to be split here...

Guest laurendenise28

I'm not trying to be naive here, but I'm curious. I know the AF has much stricter regulations than the FAA, but why are allergies such an issue in the AF and not in the civilian flying world? And I know I have seen aircrew members in the AF with prescription allergy meds...Just wondering why dangerous. Obviously if you are sneezing so much you cannot see anything, I understand that!

Guest F16PilotMD

Dangerous? I don't think that's the reason.

I can't tell you why the reg is written the way it is but many issues like this have their roots in the concept that the USAF doesn't want to take on the medical liability/cost of your problem. There are plenty of pilots with waivers for Claritin...they got them after they were 'in' (past the IFC1). That tells me that we're not dealing with 'dangerous'. If it were, I wouldn't advocate a loose interpretation of the reg. Flying a jet isn't worth putting you in unecessary danger.

As far as civilian rules go, your guess is probably as good as mine. They tend to be much, much more modern in their medical decision making. Also, most civilian flying doesn't subject the pilots to the drastic changes in pressure seen in a fighter.

• 4 months later...
Guest waiver

Chris, I am sorry for being so blunt, but if you have to ask about telling the truth or a lie, I do not think you have the correct mind set to be an Air Force Officer.

Guest Retired AF
Originally posted by chris540:

If it is a problem is it better to be honest for just lie about it?

Sure sounds like he's talking about lying!

Here are some of the disqualifications for Class II physicals per AFI 48-123. Class I physical requirements for initial flight physical are more stringent as noted about halfway down.

A7.2. Nose, Sinuses, Mouth, and Throat.

A7.2.1. Flying Classes II and III.

A7.2.1.1. Allergic rhinitis, unless mild in degree and considered unlikely to limit the examinee’s flying activities. Waivers are considered if symptoms are controlled by desensitization or topical medication (or both).

A7.2.1.2. Chronic nonallergic or vasomotor rhinitis, unless mild, asymptomatic, and not associ- ated with eustachian tube dysfunction. Waivers are considered if symptoms are controlled by top- ical medication.

A7.2.1.3. Nasal polyps.

A7.2.1.4. Deviations of the nasal septum, septal spurs, enlarged turbinates or other obstructions to nasal ventilation which result in clinical symptoms. Symptomatic atresia or stenosis of the choana. A7.2.1.5. Epistaxis, chronic, recurrent.

A7.2.1.6. Chronic sinusitis unless mild in degree and considered unlikely to limit the examinee’s flying activities

A7.2.2. Flying Classes I and IA. In addition to the above:

A7.2.2.1. A verified history of allergic, nonallergic, or vasomotor rhinitis, after age 12.

A7.2.2.2. Any surgical procedure for sinusitis, polyposis or hyperplastic tissue. Waiver may be considered if recovery is complete and individual has been asymptomatic for 1 year.

[ 30. August 2004, 15:19: Message edited by: Retired AF ]

• 7 months later...
Guest JArcher00

What determines if you need a waiver or not? Can you be on the med always or just seasonal?

Guest F16PilotMD

First you symptoms need to be adequately controlled. Then, it depends on what you take. Some meds require waiver, some don't. The flight docs know which.

Guest flydjb

My daughter really wants to apply for the USAFA, and then attend UPT. As an infant, she had some occurances of wheezing (don't want to say the "A" word). No wheezing since she has been ~ 10 years old. Is this a problem for admission to USAF for pilot slot?

Her only medical issue now is she has seasonal allergies, that seems to respond well with Flonase use. Haven't tried too many other treatments yet. Trying to find out what is allowed these days for initial USAF admission qualification. What criterion is used to determine whether admissible or not? Is there a site that describes this in detail? I would love to do the homework, but not sure the best place to look. Appreciate any info available.

Thanks!

Guest utsandman28

First all do some searching around this site and you'll find tons of answers to all of your questions.

As far as wheezing or asth** go, if it is before age 12 you should be alright. Make sure you let them know it was strictly childhood and you had no problems with it after age 10 and your daughter should be just fine. As far as seasonal allergies, I would say don't even let them know about unless it is a problem. I think everyone in the world has seasonal allergies, so unless it is something that really effects her performance or being outdoors then I probably wouldn't report it.

As far as general admission in to the Air Force, check around this site, check at airforce.com, etc and you will find a wealth of info.

Just remember that "more is less" when offering information to the AF on childhood medical conditions. Unless your daughter has a well-documented medical condition, I wouldn't volunteer any information as it can only hurt her chances.

On a side note...give ROTC a chance as well. If she's competetive enough to get into USAFA she shouldn't have a problem getting a full-ride ROTC scholarship. All of the benefits plus a social life! (IMHO)

Guest doctidy

Allergies and wheezing are tough areas to make a call. There is just so much information to know about an individual...and they do try to make individualized decisions.

I agree w/ the asthma recommendation above. You are probably going to have to say something about the seasonal allergies. Its one thing to say "everyone has them to one degree or another"...quite another to have had to be prescribed Flonase.

Bottom line...the only way you are going to know for sure is to try.

I also agree w/ applying to both USAFA and ROTC, but for a different reason. Currently, two different organizations decide qualification...one for each. If one says "yes" while the other says "no"...talk w/ your Congressman and you'll probably be able to get it (the "no") changed. I've never seen it go the other way and this loophole will probably be closed in the next 12 months or so.

• 5 months later...

Thread revival. One of my cadets told me today that he was leaving AFROTC because of a bee sting DQ. He said on the form that he had an allergic reaction when he was seven, but nothing since then. He doesn't carry around epipens and hasn't had any problems since, so i don't see how this is DQ'ing him. The cadre don't seem willing to help very much, so what should he do about this?

Guest doctidy

He could go be tested...but an anaphylactic reaction (or any allergic reaction for that matter) doesn't go away.

• 8 months later...
Guest P27:17

In my experience, mild seasonal allergic rhinitis controlled with medication, is very waiverable for IFC 1/1A. Key word is "controlled" and then the issue of frequency comes into the equation. Most of the waivers I've seen given for this condition are "indefinite". I hope this is encouraging...good luck.

• 2 months later...
Guest shutout390

Hey guys, searched around the forum and read alot on allergies but nothin pertained to my question -

im lookin to start college and rotc spring semester, if thats possible. I have no record of allergies with my doctors (meaning they dont know of them) but i know i have season allergies (sneezing, runny nose, etc). Can i get this treated with shots? is that possible with 4 years of college? Will it hurt me to have allergies on my record?

or should i just keep my claritin with me and on the DL if/when i go through UPT?

Thanks guys.

There is a good waiver chance...

A verified history of allergic rhinitis after age 12 is disqualifying for FC I and IA. Therefore, a waiver is required for FC I and IA duties for allergic rhinitis successfully treated with topical medication, non-sedating antihistamines, or immunotherapy.

Good luck

I take it your Claritin is bought over the counter.

I would only go see an allergist for shots if your claritin isn't doing the job.

shots/allergist = needs a waiver

over the counter = no waiver

YOU MAKE THE CALL!

• 1 month later...
Guest Chinaman

I searched but all the references to allergies I found were for seasonal allergies or bee stings. How do allergies to medication factor into the Air Force equation for FC1s? I'm allergic to amoxicillin. Do you need a waiver? Is there a waiver? Thanks!

• 4 months later...
Guest PilotKD

I read through this thread quickly and it may have been mentioned before, but also keep in mind that allergies can be regional. What exactly do you think you're allergic to? Pollen, ragweed, mold, grass, etc...? Your allergies could go away by simply moving to another part of the country (like you going somewhere for UPT). Of course on the other hand, they could get worse too. Allergies can also go away (or begin) with age. For example, I grew up in the Northeast and never had a single allergy that I knew of. I spent 5-6 years in FL during and after college without allergies. I got an OTS flight slot when I was 25 and ended up starting UPT when I was 26. Literally a few days after getting to my UPT base, I had an allergy hit me big time. Eyes itching and watering, a constant runny nose (like water), etc... It as terrible. I got to my UPT base in March and in southern GA (Moody), there are lots and lots of pine trees. In the spring, they spew out so much pollen that you can wash your car and literally 30 minutes later, you've got a layer of yellow dust all over it. There was enough pollen on the ground to pile up into small drifts, like snow. Anyway, this lasted for a few months. Luckily, I was casual for 5 months and didn't start flying until September. From there, I went to Columbus, MS and by next spring, the allergies had come back, but not as bad. After pilot training, I moved back north and they went away. So, in my case, it may have been a regional thing, but again, I spent a lot of time in FL, which also had a lot of pine trees and never had a problem, so it may have just been age.

Like others have said, I would just not mention the allergies, especially if they're mild. Most of the time when you're wearing a mask, the oxygen is so dry that it's going to dry you out anyway. I don't think you're going to have a problem with breathing.