Allergies/Allergy info

Guest JPritch

• 4 weeks later...

I read on the Air Force website that a requirement for pilots was that they couldn't have any sign of allergies after the age of 12. I'm currently 16 and I have seasonal allergies that might show up one month out of the whole year if that. Should I be worried??

No.  Seasonal allergies are certainly very common among pilot applicants and those serving.  As long as you're controlled with a single medication (Allegra, Claritin, etc), you're fine.

Never had allergies until I moved to Texas. Suffered for 10 years taking Claritin or Allegra or Zrytec. Even those didn't work in the heart of allergy (mountain cedar/juniper) season for me. I decided to give the local unfiltered honey a try. A little on toast, on cereal, or in tea. After two years, I can positively say it worked. Might still suffer on a windy day or doing something that kicks up dust. Might not work for you but worth the try.

Edited by TreeA10

• 1 year later...

Has any current pilot here looked at allergy shots or know a pilot who got allergy shots?  Just curious as to how difficult the waiver would be.  Seems to me that it would be better to make pilots relatively immune to their allergy rather than treat with meds.  I don't have a day to day problem, but when the pollen flares up it would be nice to have my immune system conditioned to ignore it.

• 1 year later...

Thread revival. I’m a active duty pilot, been stuck Clovis and my allergies absolutely kill me every fall. The standard Claritin/Allegra/eye drops just aren’t cutting it. Anyone have any luck getting the allergy shots immunotherapy? It’s most deff seasonal allergies in this area, if I go TDY/deploy I immediately feel better. 

Im a little nervous to go to flight med, I’ve been stuck in drone land for awhile and I’m about to return to fly/PCS. I can suck it up for another fall but I’m remaining in AFSOC, odds are I will be back to the Clovistan at some point in the future. 

Thread revival. I’m a active duty pilot, been stuck Clovis and my allergies absolutely kill me every fall. The standard Claritin/Allegra/eye drops just aren’t cutting it. Anyone have any luck getting the allergy shots immunotherapy? It’s most deff seasonal allergies in this area, if I go TDY/deploy I immediately feel better. 

Im a little nervous to go to flight med, I’ve been stuck in drone land for awhile and I’m about to return to fly/PCS. I can suck it up for another fall but I’m remaining in AFSOC, odds are I will be back to the Clovistan at some point in the future. 

I spent 4 years in Lubbock (Reese AFB) back in the day, and it was the cotton harvesting that killed me every year. It was 1990, but the doc said to take my Allegra and Flonase and keep my mouth shut otherwise. Almost 30 years later, and I’m still taking the drugs. But I also flew for 20 years straight by not rocking the boat. Turns out I probably should’ve been DNIFd, but the doc worded my waiver “correctly” and no one was the wiser. YMMV...

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

• 7 months later...
On 8/23/2018 at 6:06 PM, viper154 said:

Just a Guard hopeful here so I can't answer to the flight med side of things but I know a guy who had the allergy/immunotherapy shots and it went from bad to basically no allergy symptoms at all. I know this is late but in case anyone else is looking.