Allergies/Allergy info

Guest JPritch

I would imagine if youre allergic to any medication, you should NEVER hold that back. Environment and general allergies are something that can't really be manipulated or changed - yet there are usually always alternatives for medications.

• 6 months later...
Guest StreamOfTheSky

Hello all.

I'm applying for AF OTS with the non-rated (technical, preferably Engineering) board. I already have my B.S. in Electrical Engineering.

My problem is my allerigies, while seasonal, are moderate to severe, roughly for the entire month of May. Otherwise, they are completely controllable with my Zyrtec, and I also have Nasonex (nasal spray) and Patanol (eye drops) prescreptions, though I barely use them. During May, I am stuffed up, coughing, and sneezing frequently, as well as often getting watery eyes, if exposed to pollen. My allergies are basically grasses, weeds, trees, dust, and cat dander. I have no bee or food allergies, and barring a tremendous amount of dust, it's really the tree pollen allergies that cause the major outbreak in May.

Unfortunately, I have a long medical record of the allergies, and my allergy doc diagnosed me with allergy induced asthma 2 years ago (I'm 25 now) in May. I got allergy shots when I was younger, they ended when I was in my mid-teens, definitely after age 12-13, if that also hurts me.

I was able to take the AFOQT after calling my recruiter weekly for the approval to go and finally getting it -- the day before the test I was scheduled for. :( I rocked the test, fortunately, but I'm still worried MEPS will never give me a chance to prove I can breathe. I was supposed to have my physical the day after the AFOQT, but it was postponed, and my recruiter just keeps telling me that thay're still deciding and he will get back to me.

Do you guys think I'm screwed, or there's still a chance? I'm not even trying for pilot, does that matter at all? If I do get the physical, should I expect to be exposed to all sorts of cruel histimine tests to see how much I can take before i start choking?

For what it's worth, I applied for the Navy as a Naval Reactors Engineer before this and was medically disqualified before getting a physical or anything. I told this to my AF recruiter, and they have all the paperwork from that failed application already.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for your help.

Edited by StreamOfTheSky

Guest StreamOfTheSky

Update!

Called my recruiter today, and shockingly I was medically DQed. He's submitting my info to a Surgeon General, and said it could take up to a month to hear back. I need to submit my applicant portfolio in about a month to make the next board... I have no faith at all that the result of that will get me anywhere. They were content to take my previous Navy forms and use them as word of God, even though I filled out my AF medical docs differently after learning that I put down some medical problems I shouldn't have.

The recruiter mentioned that I had taken a Pulmonary Function Test. That was back a few years ago when my allergy doc wanted me to take one in the middle of May, when my allergies were at a point most conducive to giving me a bogus asthma prognosis at their worst. I would even be willing to pay for a new PFT just to prove I can breathe, but that's probably wasted money. I'm just so pissed off I have no chance for a condition I've never even suffered from, and never used any prescription medicine/inhaler for. :gun:

• 1 month later...

I have "Mild seasonal allergies" and this is what I experienced. I "fessed up" to it in my FCI physical. It was no big deal. All they did was took an x-ray of my sinuses to see if they were normal, which they were. I am not a doctor, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. What I think they are looking for is any history of breathing problems triggered by seasonal alleriges or a pathological inability to equalize pressure in your sinus cavities that may be triggered by seasonal allergies. About 69% of my squadron has the sniffles in the spring when the pollen blooms and the other 69% gets the sinffles in the winter from other alergens.

From about March 1 to Sept 1, I take a shot of Flonase up each nostril and down a Claritin (all prescribed by the flight doc). Otherwise I would not be able to go outside with out sneezing my cranuim off. I fly with Afrin (also prescribed) just in case and take a nice long hot shower in the morning to clean everything out (so to speak).

I think the issue here is if your allergies are a trigger for more serious problem, not just a sniffle here or there.

Once again, just relaying personal experiences. I am not giving any medical advice. I am not a doctor yet I did get laid once in Vegas beacuse I told this cougar I was a cardiothorassic surgeon. Very Nice!

• 2 years later...

Question about allergies. I have seasonal allergies (ragweed,pollen etc.) but they are easily controlled bt OTC meds. I am not worried about that but when I was very little (I don't remember it, but was told by my mother), I had a mild skin reaction to penicillin/amoxicillin. I have been told my parents for my entire life that I am allegic to these, and have told all my doctors etc that I am.

I am not sure if it has been actually tested and/or documented that I am allergic to these but either way. If I am allergic to these, is this disqualifying? Should I be worried?

I was just hired by an F-16 Unit and am naturally, frantically going through anything that could go wrong in my physical.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Question about allergies. I have seasonal allergies (ragweed,pollen etc.) but they are easily controlled bt OTC meds. I am not worried about that but when I was very little (I don't remember it, but was told by my mother), I had a mild skin reaction to penicillin/amoxicillin. I have been told my parents for my entire life that I am allegic to these, and have told all my doctors etc that I am.

I am not sure if it has been actually tested and/or documented that I am allergic to these but either way. If I am allergic to these, is this disqualifying? Should I be worried?

I was just hired by an F-16 Unit and am naturally, frantically going through anything that could go wrong in my physical.

Thanks in advance for the info!

I wouldn't worry. I'm allergic to penicillin. Fully documented, Flt docs don't care. Also have seasonal allergies: my Claritin comes from the flight doc. Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Hey everybody, quick question for you all. I was recently hired by a unit to fly C-17's and I am in the "processing" stage as we speak. I will be off to MEPS to get my physical and everything done within the next two months.

Question is in regards to Penicillin; I was diagnosed to be allergic as a child and have been told by my parents my whole life that I am. It is also documented by every doctor I have ever visited. A few years back I accidentally received Amoxicillin when I had my wisdom teeth out ( long story...) and I took it for a solid week and only had an isolated rash before I finally realized what I was taking and stopped.

I intend on disclosing it at MEPS, and just wondering if it is a DQ item, or if it is a quick waiver?

** Side note: I will also need a waiver for PRK that I received last year. Eye's meet USAF pre and post op limits.

Thanks for your time!!

Merged previous post with parent thread - read this.

I will be off to MEPS to get my physical and everything done within the next two months. Question is in regards to Penicillin; I was diagnosed to be allergic as a child and have been told by my parents my whole life that I am. It is also documented by every doctor I have ever visited. A few years back I accidentally received Amoxicillin when I had my wisdom teeth out ( long story...) and I took it for a solid week and only had an isolated rash before I finally realized what I was taking and stopped. I intend on disclosing it at MEPS, and just wondering if it is a DQ item, or if it is a quick waiver?
Read this thread. Penicillin allergy is not important and will not require a waiver.
** Side note: I will also need a waiver for PRK that I received last year. Eye's meet USAF pre and post op limits.
Read this.
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd throw this out because someone might benefit.......Moved to Texas in 2000. Every year starting in September and getting progressively worse by January, my eyes would tear and itch and my sinuses would get stuffy making it difficult to breathe. Started with Claritin, Zyrtec, and afrin but even all that didn't help by January when it felt like sand was being poured into my eyes so I just dealt with the misery. Nothing like flying with stuffed up sinuses and ears just to make life that much more fun. (BTW, Zyrtec is not on the approved list for flying.)

Can't remember who suggested honey but I threw it into the old wives tale category and ignored it until I was willing to try anything. Got some local raw honey and started adding it to tea, toast, cereal, whiskey, etc. can't remember how long it took but wrote off the first year as a possible fluke. Now, into the second year, I'll say it works and works well. Symptoms are gone or barely register.

Might work for you, might not, but someone might benefit and it is worth the shot.

Yep. The key is "local" honey. Was traveling through the central valley in CA to visit family a few summers ago when everything was blooming...had the worst allergies ever. My wife's grandmother suggested the local honey thing...helped immensely!

Yep. The key is "local" honey. Was traveling through the central valley in CA to visit family a few summers ago when everything was blooming...had the worst allergies ever. My wife's grandmother suggested the local honey thing...helped immensely!

True. This has to do with the fact that it's from local pollen that is harvested from bees that are picking up pollen from local plants. It's the same principle of the flu shot (getting a shot of a live virus to help your body build up immunity against those viruses).

All correct.

The way I understand it, the point is to ingest the allergen. You are essentially tricking your immune response into recognizing the pollen as a food, and not an allergen. Once the immune response is trained, the body will no longer react to the allergen with histamines and will basically ignore its presence.

Same thing is used for poison ivy. I've reacted to poison ivy for years and it's awful. A few years ago, I found a product called Oral Ivy which is tinctured poison ivy oil. You mix it in small amounts with water and drink once or twice a day for a few months in the off-season. The next time you're exposed to the plant's oils, you don't react. I never would have believed it if I hadn't tried it myself.

Doesn't work with peanuts...

Edited by tankass

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'm going to MEPS soon. Originally they DQ'd me because of an allergy to penicillin and sulfa drugs from when I was a baby. I've always put them as medical allergies even though it was a one time deal from when I was very young. Anyway, I went to a doctor and did a test for both drug allergies. I'm no longer allergic to either. My recruiter said MEPS said they would still DQ me, but I could get a waiver. I'm not sure why I would be DQd / need a waiver for something that doesn't effect me.

Could it just be a miscommunication between MEPS and my recruiter?

Thanks for your time!

I've had allergy to PCN/SULFA also since childhood. Been in over twenty years, no waivers ever for it, not DQd...but rules sometimes change over time. Go read deaddebate's stuff in his signature block and see if you really are DQ/waiverable. Good luck.

Medication allergies are not disqualifying, neither for entry nor flying duty. One of the following is true:

You aren't telling the entire story

Somebody doesn't know the regulations

Somebody misspoke or misheard something

Go back to your recruiter and get clarification.

• 3 months later...

So, I have seasonal allergies, take an over the counter antihistamine, and I have been prescribed flonase at least once. My allergies are basically non-existent with the antihistamine. Pretty sure I'll be waivered.

I also kind of suspect that I have a slightly deviated septum. Can I be DQ'd for that? The doctors don't know, and the only time it affected me was when I tried to take a netty pot (the water still dripped through a little, though)

I'm losing sleep over this.

So, I have seasonal allergies, take an over the counter antihistamine, and I have been prescribed flonase at least once. My allergies are basically non-existent with the antihistamine. Pretty sure I'll be waivered.

Yep.

I also kind of suspect that I have a slightly deviated septum. Can I be DQ'd for that? The doctors don't know, and the only time it affected me was when I tried to take a netty pot (the water still dripped through a little, though)

Doesn't matter. If you've ever broken your nose or had any facial surgery, include it in your history and leave it at that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm losing sleep over this.

I have both, I just ground tested Allegra and was cleared to take it whenever needed. The broken nose thing was never an issue.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread...

Long story: I was selected by a reserve squadron to fly for them. I filled out all the prescreen stuff for MEPS which didn't include anything about my allergies. I get to MEPS and fill out their paperwork which asks about my allergies. I say I have an allergy to penicillin. Doctor asks about it and I confirm. He asks what happens and I say I might barf but I don't know since it's been over 20 years since I've taken penicillin. He ends up DQing me since he thinks my vomiting is considered an anaphylaxis. Strange, I don't consider vomiting to be life threatening but okay you are the doctor here. Everyone at MEPS including the doctor assures me this is no biggie and it's a one-day waiver. Fine I'm good. Let's get this done I'm hungry.

Under direction of my recruiter, I go to my primary care doctor and get a note indicating that I experience GI distress/discomfort when taking penicillin. He even said that my reaction was likely whatever illness I had at the time and not the penicillin. Recruiter sends my doctor's note to MEPS. About six weeks later, MEPS finally sends waiver paperwork back saying they denied the waiver. Recruiter says it's because I didn't sign as examiner on my paperwork at MEPS even though I was told not to. Three weeks later, recruiter sends paperwork up to the Surgeon General at HQ who also denies it. No reason given (yet).

Seems unusual and frankly bizarre that I would be DQ'd for something as simple as an allergic reaction to penicillin especially when there are a myriad of other antibiotics I could take. I understand the Air Force has wants and needs. However, I feel there may be a disconnect either with communication or improper guidance on someone's end. Whether it's mine or theirs I am not sure. And maybe it's my fault because I'm a doofus who can't keep his mouth shut. I honestly had no idea a simple allergy would mess me up this bad. Anyway, I am wondering if I am the one who goofed or are my fishy suspicions correct?

tl;dr: Over 20 years ago, I took penicillin and barfed which today is considered anaphylaxis. I was denied a waiver for penicillin. Seems fishy but them's the breaks! Or is it?

Im deathly allergic to pennicillin and/or sulfa...served 24 yrs with no issues, no waivers, no problems. Recommend checking "deaddebate's" sign block, read all you can in waiver guides and afi48-123 re: your specific issue. Then re-attack.

Agree with Learjetter, I've been allergic to penicillin for 29 years (8+ in the AF) never an issue with the AF in general or my flight physical and I'm not aware of any waiver in my file for it.

Your other option may be to have the doctor approve a ground trial of the drug now. Disclaimers: I'm no medical expert and you should obviously see one prior to that choice. I've been offered a trial and have refused every time because I don't see the gain.

I feel there may be a disconnect either with communication or improper guidance on someone's end. Whether it's mine or theirs I am not sure.

Probably.  Determine which office finally DQ'd you (MEPS CMO, AETC/SG, etc.), and request your sponsoring unit reach out for clarification/pressure.

Your other option may be to have the doctor approve a ground trial of the drug now.

Good idea.  Talk to your doc; see what he thinks.

Thanks for the responses, you guys. The recruiter said it was the SG who issued the final DQ, and she closed my file (great). I'll see what my squadron POC has to say. He had my information with another recruiter they work with who also sent my information to the SG. This whole thing has become very messy ever since MEPS.

Anyway, thanks again!