T-38 lands gear-up: crew ok

lazlo

So, intentional gear up due to malfunction, or baffoonery gear up due to pilot...well...baffoonery?

Last time a Talon landed gear up at CBM (many years ago), it flew the next day....replaced the flaps and speed brakes and it was good to go.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Edit: I spell goodly.

Edited by Cap-10

Last time a Talon landed gear up at CBM (many years ago), it flew the next day....replaced the flaps and speed brakes and it was good to go.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Edit: I spell goodly.

I landed on the center runway a few minutes after that intentional gear-up. I was surprised at how quickly it stopped and with very little damage.

I landed on the center runway a few minutes after that intentional gear-up.

That's an assumption. Hopefully it is, but like I said before, not many gear problems in the T-38.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Upvote 1

I landed on the center runway a few minutes after that intentional gear-up. I was surprised at how quickly it stopped and with very little damage.

How does someone intentionally land gear-up? Still have their wings?

What did the CVR record them saying? "Hold my beer and watch this shit?"

I saw a tweet do the same with speed break and flaps full land uneventfully, and flew the next day after it was hoisted onto a flatbed...

Edited by Dead Last

Uh, probably because the gear malfunction checklist says that all-up is preferable to whatever configuration is available at that point.

• Upvote 8

T-38 gear malfunctions are a rarity, I have my opinions. My bets would piss off most of this forum, but RAM and hindsight are getting there.

Not sure what you're basing that on, but they're in the top 3 of our IFEs.

If none of the gear come down after alternate extension, you land gear up. If one of the mains won't come down, you land gear up or punch.

Saw a T-38 do a GEAR up landing at Tinker, it was doing touch and go's at Will Rogers and one the main landing gear struts departed the aircraft on the runway at KOKC but was able to recover then performed a gear up landing at KTIK. Surprised that this doesn't happen more often, the T-38's landing gear is quite fragile considering how students pound on them everyday. The plane was put on a flat bed truck and trucked back to Vance the next day.

Edited by Prosuper