FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

are you trolling? Multiple senior leaders have speculated the need to cut 25K between now and approx 2019.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

But the question is, why are we (the AF) acting like we need to toss all 25,000 before the end of FY14, instead of evening out the cuts. Hell, even if we go 5000 people a year, that's still a better solution than axing all 25,000 at one go.

Supposedly, according to them. There's always another side to that story. Maybe that's what put them on the bottom of a rack&stack, maybe it's not. I personally haven't witnessed the star-player-turned-dirtbag scenario because of a vsp application.

I've seen the "star player handed a shitty assignment due to VSP application" though.

Fellas, I've been working rated assignments with the last three 11M and other functionals for ~five years. Including three trips to AFPC to haggle. Been working with lots of Sq/CCs and OG/CCs for the same timeframe. Never, not once, has VSP status entered any of those conversations, nor affected someone I know's assignment.

If you think your VSP status is affecting your strat, school push, assignment options, etc...PM me, I'd like to hear your story.

hope this stays the case.

Fellas, I've been working rated assignments with the last three 11M and other functionals for ~five years. Including three trips to AFPC to haggle. Been working with lots of Sq/CCs and OG/CCs for the same timeframe. Never, not once, has VSP status entered any of those conversations, nor affected someone I know's assignment.

If you think your VSP status is affecting your strat, school push, assignment options, etc...PM me, I'd like to hear your story.

I don't know of any commanders who would be obtuse enough to call up the functional and mention something like that outright. I do know of several however, who would be vindictive enough to affect such ends, albeit via more surreptitious methods. Ultimately, I think it depends on who your commanders are, but I agree with Porkchop here, proceed with caution. It's difficult to know what ends up on the "for eyes" section of one's record.

On another subject:

VSP eligibility matrix -> 2004 year group eligible

PSDM 13-130 -> 2004 year group ineligible

WTF?

Has 13-130 been officially posted yet? If not, can someone pm me the info. About to take a 120 day winter vacation and trying to get the skinny before I depart. The information machine at my base is acting like VSP is the word that shall not be named. I'm a heavy guy with all fighter types in my chain of command up through the wing commander... It will be a lot of fun to tell them I want to VSP right before my VML

On another subject:

VSP eligibility matrix -> 2004 year group eligible

PSDM 13-130 -> 2004 year group ineligible

WTF?

It is not a VSP matrix, it is a Voluntary Force Management matrix.

From the slide itself, "Being in an AFSC colored blue does not guarantee voluntary program eligibility, and approval is not guaranteed subject to AF requirements."

Just because they aren't eligible for VSP according to the PSDM, doesn't mean they aren't eligible for other voluntary force management programs such as TERA.

Edited by Fifty-six & Two

Are we waiting on a matrix to see which AFSCs will be eligible for the RIF too or is it going to be everyone? Er, we probably don't know still do we? Big Blue is really on top of this.

One would hope the results of VSP/TERA would then alter the RIF matrix....

Is there a reason why that Col on his bio claims to have a Bronze Star yet isn't wearing it in his official bio pic.

I would theorize his bronze star was from his command of the expeditionary group and that photo predates it. Edited by Fuzz

Ok, so I just heard that my Wg/CC will resist any attempt to get out by his 11M members, due to his perception that we are "critically manned." Whether or not he can actually do this, the perception is created that members who volunteer to VSP or introduce a DNR letter in a RIF are not "team players." Anyone else hearing things from their leadership that is running counter to Big Blue's force shaping initiatives?

Seriously now - is this the Wg/CC from Little Rock who Azimuth is so fond of? Because I heard from a friend in the Med Group that he was told not to even bother applying because the Wg/CC wouldn't support it. I haven't gotten my paws on a copy of the PSDM yet so I'm not sure if the Wg/CC even gets a vote in this particular process...

Seriously now - is this the Wg/CC from Little Rock who Azimuth is so fond of? Because I heard from a friend in the Med Group that he was told not to even bother applying because the Wg/CC wouldn't support it. I haven't gotten my paws on a copy of the PSDM yet so I'm not sure if the Wg/CC even gets a vote in this particular process...

Both the unit commander and the wing commander approve or disapprove. They are not the final say, as the application still gets pushed with disapproval. I would think the chances of overall approval greatly diminish if both disapprove.

Edited by Fifty-six & Two

Why does anyone even expect this RIF/VSP/Nonsense to be any different this time around. I dropped by the front office today and it was business as usual. People are literally confused out of their minds about job security and the guys in the front don't even acknowledge what's going on....apparently those in charge with tenure and job security could really give two shits about what's happening, as is evident by the mass confusion. This is literally like having a mishap jet take the barrier, and calling the spouses and telling them their husbands are dead, to prep them just in case it really turns out to be true. Great relief when daddy comes home, but what the hell kind of process is this?!

• Upvote 2

Between him and the previous Little Rock WG/CC aka SOS Commander, they are producing some real winners.

I know exactly who you are talking about and I can't stand that guy. He looked a friend of mine dead in the eyes and said not to bother trying because navs have no place in his Air Force and if he has anything to do with us we will all be force shaped within a year (about two years ago). That guy is a piece of work. I knew someone that worked closely with him and he refused to admit anything was his fault. Everything that didn't turn out perfect had to be blamed on someone other than him. If that's the type of people that get promoted to general, I just don't know what to think anymore.

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth, he was the WG/CC of the AETC side at LRF.

Between him and the previous Little Rock WG/CC aka SOS Commander, they are producing some real winners.

Edited by Champ Kind

People are literally confused out of their minds about job security and the guys in the front don't even acknowledge what's going on....apparently those in charge with tenure and job security could really give two shits about what's happening, as is evident by the mass confusion. This is literally like having a mishap jet take the barrier, and calling the spouses and telling them their husbands are dead, to prep them just in case it really turns out to be true. Great relief when daddy comes home, but what the hell kind of process is this?!

I've had a few tonight, so forgive me... But what the heck are you trying to say? "Literally"...you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. This sucks, we all know it, but... this too shall pass. Keep some perspective, play your best hand, prepare for the worse, hope for the best, and have the best scotch on hand when you hear a decision, regardless. You (we) are all more than what the AF currently thinks of us, don't lower yourself to that level.

Edit, post buffoonery

Edited by Tonka