FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

You said 9.5 years for your TAFMS. What base pay are you using?

Also, completely ignore the fact that the example says base pay x 12 years. It should only say x 12. That part of the equation is NOT dependent upon how much time you have served. That may be where some of the confusion lies.

Example (showing as DFAS calculates): A Major w/ 12 yrs and 3 months and 13 days of total active federal military service [($6540.60 monthly base pay) x 12 years x 147 ( total whole months served) x (10%)] divided by 12= $96,146.82 (RIF). For VSP, multiply by 1.25 = $120,183.52.

Base pay = $5680 Math is hard.

5680 x 12 months = $W (68160)

$W (68160) x Airman’s TAFMS (yrs/mths of svc) (9.5) = $X (647520)

$X (647520) x 10% (full separation pay) = $Y (64752)

$Y (64752) x 1.25 multiplier = $Z (final voluntary separation pay) $80,940

Example (showing as DFAS calculates): An officer with 9 yrs and 6 months of total active federal military service [($5680 monthly base pay) x 12 x 114 ( total whole months served) x (10%)] divided by 12= $64,752 (RIF). For VSP, multiply by 1.25 = $80,940.

Both give the same number.

Edited by Fifty-six & Two

5680 x 12 months = $W (68160)

$W (68160) x Airman’s TAFMS (yrs/mths of svc) (9.5) = $X (647520)

$X (647520) x 10% (full separation pay) = $Y (64752)

$Y (64752) x 1.25 multiplier = $Z (final voluntary separation pay) $80,940

Example (showing as DFAS calculates): An officer with 9 yrs and 6 months of total active federal military service [($5680 monthly base pay) x 12 x 114 ( total whole months served) x (10%)] divided by 12= $64,752 (RIF). For VSP, multiply by 1.25 = $80,940.

Both give the same number.

Thanks. Like I said....

I think it has to do with the multiple 12's, TAFMS being 12 years, and me being an idiot.

*shakes head again at the poorly written prose and example...the mislabeled 12*

*also despite deleting his post, believes "AFS" was a typo, and knew what it was and was just being sarcastic*

*didn't like people not appreciating his sarcasm*

*hangs head*

*is going to go sit in the corner of the DFAC and eat dinner alone*

Bendy

• Upvote 5

So if you get the VSP, and then later draw a military retirement or disability from the VA, the retirement/disability payments are reduced until the whole VSP amount is paid back. The problem I see in that is that when you receive the VSP in 2014, you pay income tax on that amount for your CY '14 taxes. Someone mentioned on here that if you receive the VSP and then later have to pay it back, it is like receiving an interest free loan for X number of years. However, wouldn't it be more like a <insert your CY 14 tax bracket amount> loan? Doesn't seem like all the great a deal *financially speaking* unless you could account for the re-payments 30 years from now by taking a deduction for the amount you've paid back to the gov't...

edited to add the assumed *financial* impracticality. If all you're looking to do is get out and don't care about the money (or plan on drawing a mil retirement down the line), it is a great deal.

Edited by Light Chop

Heard about these changes as well from some senior enlisted at the water cooler:

Mandatory minimum of 5% of all EPR's to be rated at 1 or 2 to identify personnel for possible Force Management programs.

Feedback forms will include ratee's opinion of rater's effectiveness/quality of feedback (AKA feedback feedback).

Unit attendance of others' Force Management discharge ceremonies is voluntary, but highly encouraged.  Free throwing tomatoes for the first 50 attendees at the MPF.

All personnel separating under VSP are automatically permanently demoted one grade due to failing to enhance unit cohesion.  Though the demotion is official, it will not affect VSP pay calculation.

I expect the Duffel Blog will write an article on these developments soon.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

So after reading all of the Force Shaping memos and the matrix (including all of the notes) I am apparently eligible for all VSP/RIF… I am also ineligible for all VSP/RIF. When I asked our Personnel Chief about it she said, "Ummm… I have no idea!" What a mess...

• Upvote 1

So after reading all of the Force Shaping memos and the matrix (including all of the notes) I am apparently eligible for all VSP/RIF… I am also ineligible for all VSP/RIF. When I asked our Personnel Chief about it she said, "Ummm… I have no idea!" What a mess...

A bro of mine is on a 365 - so VSP/TERA ineligible. Yet he still faces a RIF.

So if you get the VSP, and then later draw a military retirement or disability from the VA, the retirement/disability payments are reduced until the whole VSP amount is paid back. The problem I see in that is that when you receive the VSP in 2014, you pay income tax on that amount for your CY '14 taxes. Someone mentioned on here that if you receive the VSP and then later have to pay it back, it is like receiving an interest free loan for X number of years. However, wouldn't it be more like a <insert your CY 14 tax bracket amount> loan? Doesn't seem like all the great a deal *financially speaking* unless you could account for the re-payments 30 years from now by taking a deduction for the amount you've paid back to the gov't...

edited to add the assumed *financial* impracticality. If all you're looking to do is get out and don't care about the money (or plan on drawing a mil retirement down the line), it is a great deal.

Found this on the DFAS web page.

We cannot change previously issued 1099R forms, nor can we recover any funds sent to the Internal Revenue Service to cover the taxes on the payments already made to you.

When we recoup VSI/SSB payments, we treat it like a pre-tax deduction. That is, we reduce your taxable income by the amount we deduct for the recoupment each month.

For Example: If you received a gross separation payment for $60,000 less Federal Income Tax Withholding of $12,000, you would have received a net check for $48,000. We will recoup the gross amount of $60,000.

If you become eligible for $2,500 per month from retired pay, less a VA waiver of $200 you would have an adjusted gross taxable income of $2,300. We recoup at the rate of 40% of gross income, which would be $920.

Your adjusted gross taxable income will be reduced by the amount being recouped ($2,300 less $920) leaving a new taxable income amount of $1380.

http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/plan/separation-payments/vsi-ssb-recoupment.html

1)

I am saying that you can take a rated officer, put him in a non-rated job and he will figure it out in less than 6 months.

I think the vast majority of pilots are just as (if not more) capable of walking into a large shop and leading just like any other new LT is.

2)

But what kills me is the fact that AFPC has been working this for the better part of a year, and they STILL can't put forth a coherent plan in an orderly and informative manner that doesn't leave absolutely everyone scrambling to try to figure out what big blue has in store for them.

AFPC can't keep kicking people in the nuts and expect them to stay in...

Someone at AFPC needs to be throat punched for releasing this train wreck.

AFPC may be the dumbest, most mismanaged program in the United States Military...

3)

http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/Display/tabid/225/Article/107982/major-general-alfred-j-stewart.aspx

ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 1981 - July 1982, student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. December 1982 - November 1984, KC-135 copilot, 7th Air Refueling Squadron, Carswell AFB, Texas
3. November 1984 - May 1988, KC-135 copilot; aircraft commander; instructor; and standardization and evaluation pilot, 11th Air Refueling Squadron and 306th Air Refueling Squadron, Altus AFB, Okla.
4. June 1988 - July 1991, KC-135 instructor pilot, Combat Crew Training School Castle AFB, Calif.

17. August 2010 - present, Commander, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
Edited by albertschu

"Retired 1 Oct 2013"

Try this one instead: http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/Display/tabid/225/Article/108712/major-general-margaret-b-poore.aspx

Not saying anything, just saying...

Chuck

Edited by Chuck17
  • Upvote 2

Can someone explain why we're talking about implementing a 25K personnel cut when when congress only reduced our end strength by 1860 in the 2014 NDAA?  Is that even legal?

are you trolling? Multiple senior leaders have speculated the need to cut 25K between now and approx 2019.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

1) Her name makes me giggle.

2) Frocking is silly to me...either you can promote a General or you can't; makes me think (again) how messed up General officer billets are.

3) I would love to see the citation to go along with that Bronze Star/Afghanistan Campaign Medal.

It's funny to me when I hear the philosophy, "I don't want to rock the boat. I need to see how things work around here before I start changing things." When you only hold a job for a couple years max (such as the career being discussed based on her bio, and most CC jobs for that matter), one really needs to blast in there "like a bull in a china shop" fixing the broken stuff to make a real difference. Take enough time and people will convince you that it has to be this way for good reason (i.e. AFPC works fine, nothing wrong here). Some people prescribe to one philosophy, others are perfectly fine with the later philosophy. I believe far fewer have enough faith in themselves (sometimes with good reason) to effectively use the later.

With that many jobs, over such short periods of time...I would be curious how much leadership really gets exerted and what was improved along the way. What I do know is that being a double DG will get you far...regardless of your leadership philosophy or actual job performance.

Bendy

Edit: My interwebs went beserko!

Edited by Bender
  • Upvote 1