FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

I saw they put out new force management opportunities for FY '14. I'm an ATC officer and have been considering getting out to jump over to the FAA and this seems like an opportunity which may finalize that decision if the terms are correct. I know this is an ops forum but I was hoping that someone might have more SA.

If I apply for this program under the Limited Active Duty Service Commitment (LADSC), does that entitle me to separation pay or is the "benefit" merely the reduction of your required service commitment?

If there is no separation pay I'd probably just wait out my PCS ADSC which ends late next year anyways.

Thanks

Disclaimer: I have not read the PSDMs that carefully...

You need to read them carefully...typically you are entitled to separation pay when you are involuntarily separated from the AF. The exception has been the VSP of recent years which offered incentives for people to leave. I did not see any incentives in the PSDMs and with the AF looking to cut numbers to meet end strength goals, I doubt you are going to get cash to get out early. In addition, there are SERBs for both O-5s and O-6s in some circumstances so the AF has gotten somewhat serious about getting the manpower house in order. The LADSC waiver is your big benefit in this case.

A more thorough and careful reading of any associated PSDMs may prove me wrong.

My advice: If you have an FAA job lined up then take the opportunity to jump on it now regardless of any sep pay. Don't forget that for the time being that some FAA employees are affected by the sequester but it does not appear that FY14 is going to be much different.

Don't worry there are others on this forum that know more about the A1 stuff. If history is any indicator, I feel certain he will not miss the chance to correct any mistakes and point out that I should stick to my piloting stuff.

Edited by Herk Driver

Unless you have a big in into the agency, expect a lengthy delay in getting hired by the FAA once separated from the AF. Hiring freeze in effect at the moment due to sequestration, and without any freezes in place at my time it took almost two years to get processed and hired.

Best of luck tho and hit me if you have any questions.

Edited by Clayton Bigsby

Air Force opens doors to single parents

So the Air Force is looking to slim down the force, but yet they want to start allowing single parents to join the military...makes sense to me. So why the exclusion of no more than 3 kids for officers and 2 for enlisted?

I'm sure this decision was not at all political in nature and will undoubtedly help us succeed more than ever in our various missions.

• Upvote 1

From the article: Handicapped Americans National today filed suit against the Pentagon to let wheelchair-bound recruits serve in infantry units, and a group named Blind But Not Broken has pressed for Braille heads-up-displays (HUD) to be installed in all F-22 fighter jets.

YGBSM.

From the article: Handicapped Americans National today filed suit against the Pentagon to let wheelchair-bound recruits serve in infantry units, and a group named Blind But Not Broken has pressed for Braille heads-up-displays (HUD) to be installed in all F-22 fighter jets.

YGBSM.

You do know it's a satirical article like the Onion right?

YGBSM.

I'm pretty sure you're blind and/or broken.

YGBSM.

About fucking time.

YGBSM.

Why wouldn't they. I mean, the ability for the pilot to breath isn't a requirement on these jets either... Zing!

P. S. it's satire. Learn to know the difference.

I don't think the article is satire. I checked the author's credentials:

Paul is a former Marine grunt with eight years of experience -- specializing in snapping necks and cashing checks. He enjoys blowing things up, making people laugh, and hardcore gangster rap music.

Read more: http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/01/pentagon-announces-plan-guaranteeing-disabled-americans-teenagers-right-to-military-service/#ixzz2b0NNwqWw

Did my part to help right the ship yesterday: dropped my resignation papers from the AGR program. After 8 years of the madness, time to be a Dirty DSG for awhile before its time to punch for good. Couldn't be happier :)

Did my part to help right the ship yesterday: dropped my resignation papers from the AGR program. After 8 years of the madness, time to be a Dirty DSG for awhile before its time to punch for good. Couldn't be happier :)

Nice, being a DSG is one of the best jobs imaginable. Not the first and you will not be the last to do this is the next few years!

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Another VSP that won't allow rated folks the "opportunity" to get out. I'm so excited. Some would even say I just can't hide it.

It's been the tale of 2 Air Forces since around '07 VSP… those we need (rated) and those we don't. Airlines are hiring. Pilots will walk for free.

It's been the tale of 2 Air Forces since around '07 VSP… those we need (rated) and those we don't. Airlines are hiring. Pilots will walk for free.

This.

I can't wait to hear the collective "fuck this" when I see 11Xs on the list as RIF-eligible AFSCs.

• Upvote 2

Here's a start. These kids are not going to have to pay back their ROTC scholarships if released. Wow.

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467645/rotc-cadets-irr-graduates-eligible-for-release.aspx

ROTC cadets, IRR graduates eligible for release

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO -- RANDOLPH, Texas -- Reserve Officer Training Corps cadets slated to graduate in 2014 and recently commissioned graduates in the Individual Ready Reserve waiting to enter active duty may be eligible for release from their military service commitment, Air Force officials said Dec. 3.

Cadets and recent graduates classified into the following fields may apply:
13M Airfield Operations
13N Nuclear and Missile Operations
14N Intelligence
17D Cyberspace Operations
21A Aircraft Maintenance
21M Munitions and Missile Maintenance
21R - Logistics Readiness
31P Security Forces
35P Public Affairs
38P Personnel
63A Acquisition
64P Contracting

“The decision to offer voluntary release from ROTC-incurred commitments is part of the effort to align our policies and programs to a future force that is projected to be smaller and leaner,” said Lt. Col. Jonelle Eychner, chief of officer accessions and training.

Although ROTC applicants approved for the program will no longer receive their monthly stipend beginning March 1, the Air Force will not seek scholarship or stipend recoupment in exchange for release from their service commitment.

The Air Force is also encouraging the recent ROTC graduates who are waiting to enter active duty in the skills listed above to look instead for Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve opportunities to associate in a variety of skills.

ROTC is not the only officer accessions program affected.

“We have also reduced officer training school where possible to ease the impact on ROTC,” Eychner explained. “But we can’t cut any deeper into OTS production without harming our ability to fill specific technical career fields.”

Eligible cadets and IRR officers can apply for release Jan. 6-24, 2014. Applicants will be notified of their request status, and on Feb. 28 approved officers will be officially separated from service and approved cadets will be disenrolled from ROTC without any further obligations.

Interested cadets should contact their ROTC detachment for eligibility and application information. Interested IRR officers should contact the AFPC Accessions office at (210) 565-2275

Here's a start. These kids are not going to have to pay back their ROTC scholarships if released. Wow.

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467645/rotc-cadets-irr-graduates-eligible-for-release.aspx

ROTC cadets, IRR graduates eligible for release

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO -- RANDOLPH, Texas -- Reserve Officer Training Corps cadets slated to graduate in 2014 and recently commissioned graduates in the Individual Ready Reserve waiting to enter active duty may be eligible for release from their military service commitment, Air Force officials said Dec. 3.

ebac092dd1cbbe108d3c7412fb720075.jpg

• Upvote 5