FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

Any insight on how we're going to cut 4,000 people with no VSP, TERA, or involuntary programs?

Slow accessions, continue the quality force review boards, and the normal separation/retirement process is the plan. I know the NDAA says the end strength is 312,###, but the SECAF/CSAF manning redline is 315,400 - we're pretty much there.

No, IRS has cut manning and says they will delay processing refunds. If that is the case you have a good chance of them not noticing taxes were not taken out and you should be good to go. Just don't say anything about it on the Internet or they may figure of out later.

I got mine in 2011, it was followed by a letter saying, "oops", pay your taxes in a few months.

I know SECAF says we're done...but we also have to cut another 4,000 people somewhere. Any insight on how we're going to cut 4,000 people with no VSP, TERA, or involuntary programs?

Well, my community brought back a WSO after almost a decade due to WSO manning. He's an O-5 going back through initial qual. At the same time, we RIF'd three O-4 WSOs, including an evaluator with six deployments, qualified in the new glass cockpit aircraft. So...worked great, I guess.

Basically what 11F said above. He (the general) was didn't really answer most of the questions posed to him directly so I don't have any other info to offer.

I know SECAF says we're done...but we also have to cut another 4,000 people somewhere. Any insight on how we're going to cut 4,000 people with no VSP, TERA, or involuntary programs?

Via PT fails, the crusade against sexual assault, aggressive drug testing, and MEBs. On the E side the new high year tenure limit of 15 years for E5s is starting to claim some victims as well.

• 1 month later...

So I separated 29 Sep but I now have a 16 day break in service due having an incompetent recruiter and the huge amount of people who had to be scrolled. It looks like I wasn't scrolled until 15 Oct 2014. I was hired by a reserve unit last summer but it took until earlier this month to get my orders to come to work. Has anyone else received this break in service and is there a way to get it corrected? It looks like I was scrolled after my DOS but that was outside of my control and I hope I can argue that somewhere. I found the link on the AFPC website where to request service date changes but wanted some more ammo to include in the request.

You have to do the AFBCMR process. Here's my timeline:

May 2012 DOS from active duty

Jun 2012 gained to IRR (received break in service of 20 days)

Jul 2012 gained to SELRES

Aug 2012 I found out about the break in service and filed BCMR

Jan 2013 scheduled promotion board (I didn't meet it because of the break in service)

Jun 2013 BCMR directed extension of DOS to Jun 2012 to erase break in service which meant I rated a SSB since I would have otherwise met the scheduled promotion board

Nov 2013 SSB met

Jan 2014 notified of backdated promotion, DOR Oct 2013

Apr 2014 received back pay for 20 extra days of active duty (from erasing the break in service)

May 2014 filed claim with local finance and received back pay from the backdated promotion (Oct 13-Jan 14)

Jun 2014 filed BCMR for accelerated promotion, DOR Mar 2013

Sep 2014 BCMR was resolved by ARPC (it didn't go all the way to BCMR) for accelerated promotion

Oct 2014 filed claim with local finance for back pay claim for accelerated promotion (Mar 13-Sep 13)

Dec 2014 back pay paid

If you have a break in service you won't meet a promotion board (assuming you're eligible) until you have 1 year of continuous service (regular, reserve, or a combination) prior to the board. At most you will be delayed 1 year. Who's getting booted? I'm not following....

Via PT fails, the crusade against sexual assault, aggressive drug testing, and MEBs. On the E side the new high year tenure limit of 15 years for E5s is starting to claim some victims as well.

I'm curious what the promotion rates to Major will be after they are released. I have plenty of friends who got DP's, but am curious if the rates will be the same or lower than years past.

Anyone know the rules with oprs? I went on terminal with less than 120 days of supervision after my last opr closed out. I got an LOE because my reserve unit said at least get that. I palace fronted into the reserves. The civilian on base is now telling me my opr is due and it sticks with my opr date from active duty? The problem is I was on terminal for a little over 4 months and only been to 2 UTAs since ive been busy with my civilian job.....what she is saying doesnt sound right to me...my take is that my opr date should be 1 year from when I entered the reserves...since I came palace front its basically like I entered the reserves from the street so shouldnt that be when my clock starts ticking for an opr? Hoping someone around here has some experience with this kind of thing.

My OPR actually did stick with original dates from active duty. It didn't make sense to me, but my unit did it that way too. In the end I had almost all bullets from what I had done on active duty (chief of Stan/eval) but a duty title that said pilot.

My problem is I literally did nothing since my last opr

You need to have someone MPF-ish (I'm an IMA, so not sure who is person would be in the TR world) file an AF Form 77. The period of the report is the date your last active duty OPR closed out until the date you were official gained at your current unit. In the remarks section, they should write "No report available from Date XX through Date XX. No report required according to AFI 36-2406." This happened to me when I left AD as well. Filing the AF77 will rehack your close-out date.

You need to have someone MPF-ish (I'm an IMA, so not sure who is person would be in the TR world) file an AF Form 77. The period of the report is the date your last active duty OPR closed out until the date you were official gained at your current unit. In the remarks section, they should write "No report available from Date XX through Date XX. No report required according to AFI 36-2406." This happened to me when I left AD as well. Filing the AF77 will rehack your close-out date.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Chime in if you can shed proverbial light. I escaped via VSP last September...didn't know about the scroll at the time, but requested a transfer to the IRR as part of my VSP application...transfer approved. My thought process was that I would probably end up in the Reserves at some point, but was not sure whether it would be in 6 months or three years. Anyhow, found the unit I wanted, recently got hired, and then found out I wasn't scrolled. Got in touch with a Reserve officer recruiter for my region (according to the one processing my paperwork, there are only 16 of these across the US). I am supposedly on the scroll now...waiting game. This process is the only thing holding up acquisition of training dates.

1) Has anyone recently dealt with being added to the scroll post-active duty? If so, what was your experience with timing from being added to sign-off by SecAF?

2) Other than opinion/hope/hearsay, does anyone know of a specific reference relative to IRR and breaks in service? I have heard and read various things from various sources, from official to unofficial...all seem to contradict one another.

So I separated 29 Sep but I now have a 16 day break in service due having an incompetent recruiter and the huge amount of people who had to be scrolled. It looks like I wasn't scrolled until 15 Oct 2014. I was hired by a reserve unit last summer but it took until earlier this month to get my orders to come to work. Has anyone else received this break in service and is there a way to get it corrected? It looks like I was scrolled after my DOS but that was outside of my control and I hope I can argue that somewhere. I found the link on the AFPC website where to request service date changes but wanted some more ammo to include in the request.

We have a few guys get a break due to the scrolling process...."break" was later corrected via Board of Military Corrections.

Cap-10

• 11 months later...