FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

Yup, similar issue I'm having, but I Palace Chased. I supposedly qualify for TAMP, but was told that it takes up to 30 days for my unit to gain me thanks to the slow ass process at ARPC. Until that time, my family has no health care. Of course the DEERS office's recommended solution is to pay out of pocket and Tricare "should" reimburse us when they back date our TAMP qualification date, but I know how that works. What a clown show.

You do have healthcare immediately if you are TAMP eligible. I ran into the same issue but ARPC will gain you much quicker than that. I called Tricare while still on active duty and they also said they would backdate and pay everything. The day after I separated I called Tricare to check my status and the TAMP was in the system and my family and I were fully covered.

My guard unit told me it would take 4-6 weeks to get gained into the system but I went back to the Dyess ID card office 1 week after swearing in and they said I was showing in the system as gained and gave me a new, normal CAC, not the green one, and my TAMP card.

The TAMP benefits are essentially Tricare Standard. If you were on Prime before you may need to select off-base Dr's with Tricare. Also beware that you do NOT have any dental insurance through TAMP until you call them and set it up. They charge around $80/month for a family.

I agree that it is a huge clown show. I spend at least 15 hours on the phone and running around base trying to get this sorted out before I left active duty but never had any luck. However, since the day I left, everything was very smooth and the insurance was available right away.

Edited by BONE WSO

You do have healthcare immediately if you are TAMP eligible. I ran into the same issue but ARPC will gain you much quicker than that. I called Tricare while still on active duty and they also said they would backdate and pay everything. The day after I separated I called Tricare to check my status and the TAMP was in the system and my family and I were fully covered.

My guard unit told me it would take 4-6 weeks to get gained into the system but I went back to the Dyess ID card office 1 week after swearing in and they said I was showing in the system as gained and gave me a new, normal CAC, not the green one, and my TAMP card.

The TAMP benefits are essentially Tricare Standard. If you were on Prime before you may need to select off-base Dr's with Tricare. Also beware that you do NOT have any dental insurance through TAMP until you call them and set it up. They charge around $80/month for a family.

I agree that it is a huge clown show. I spend at least 15 hours on the phone and running around base trying to get this sorted out before I left active duty but never had any luck. However, since the day I left, everything was very smooth and the insurance was available right away.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'm already coming up on 14 days since separating with no health care. Normally I wouldn't care, but since I have a 6 month old, that changes things a bit.

As far as I recall:

Palace Front: TAMP

Involuntary separation (RIF, 2x passed over and not continued): TAMP

Palace Chase: ??

VSP: no TAMP

Separation with no ADSC: no TAMP

That's the way it's been ever since I started paying attention to separations (since 2006). If you're going into the SELRES, you hardly need TAMP, though, because now we can get Tricare Reserve Select for pretty cheap.

http://www.tricare.mil/tamp Eligibility

Sponsors and eligible family members may be covered by TAMP if the sponsor is:

• Involuntarily separating from active duty under honorable conditions
  • A National Guard or Reserve member separating from a period of more than 30 consecutive days of active duty served in support of a contingency operation
  • Separating from active duty following involuntary retention (stop-loss) in support of a contingency operation
  • Separating from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency operation
  • Receiving a sole survivorship discharge
  • Separating from regular active duty service and agree to become a member of the Selected Reserve of a Reserve Component. The Service member must become a Selected Reservist the day immediately following release from regular active duty service to qualify.

TAMP eligibility is determined by the Services and documented in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System. TAMP eligibility can be viewed online via MilConnect. Service members should check with their Service personnel departments for information or assistance with TAMP eligibility.

It's interesting at the end of this article that 20 people were "accidentally" approved for retirement, the Air Force tried to retract the approvals, but then "after outraged airmen vented online and launched a White House petition, the Air Force backtracked and said it would honor those approvals."

Sounds like if you were told that you'd get TAMP, you just gotta make a big enough fuss… 6 months of benefits is going to cost FAR less than retirement that they accidentally approved.

Yup, similar issue I'm having, but I Palace Chased. I supposedly qualify for TAMP, but was told that it takes up to 30 days for my unit to gain me thanks to the slow ass process at ARPC. Until that time, my family has no health care. Of course the DEERS office's recommended solution is to pay out of pocket and Tricare "should" reimburse us when they back date our TAMP qualification date, but I know how that works. What a clown show.

Going through this right now. Turns out my scroll went 23 sep and my is at my losing base didn't know.... Was gained by my unit within a week and tricare back dated my coverage to day after separation date.

I also called and switched back to prime.

Does anyone know if you can change your date of separation to an earlier date? I originally requested to separate on 31 Dec, but I was just offered a job with a cargo company that needs me to start on Nov 10th and unfortunately I don't have enough leave built up to go terminal that soon.

Does anyone know if you can change your date of separation to an earlier date? I originally requested to separate on 31 Dec, but I was just offered a job with a cargo company that needs me to start on Nov 10th and unfortunately I don't have enough leave built up to go terminal that soon.

i know a guy that pushed his back but still within the window. I'd highly doubt they would have a problem moving yours up....but then again it is big blue.

Come on guys. Isn't it obvious? Creating clear and concise guidance is much more difficult, therefore any punishment for failure in doing it correctly should be much more lenient, than say...flying a multi-million dollar aircraft in a dynamic setting.

I totally understand why hosing over a thousand+ Airmen should be treated less harshly than one mistake during an airborne emergency.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got this gem of an email (below) yesterday, but already knew I was eligible for TAMP. I called Tricare and asked them what I should do and they told me to call DEERs first. On my separation order (don't have DD214 yet because I separate 31 Dec 2014) you will read them your separation code. Mine was eligible for TAMP, and I was told to call Tricare 30 days out from my separation to enroll. Upon enrolling, you will have zero non-coverage time under Tricare Prime/Standard depending on where you live. Also, your new ID should give you two years of Base Exchange privileges and anything on base. Pretty great deal if you ask me. See email below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response Via Email(myPers - Total Force Service Center) - 11/01/2014 08:43 AM

As your application for separation was approved under the Air Force FY14/15 Voluntary Separation Program, we want to ensure you are aware of the following Air Force press release dated 31 October 2014. The Air Force is diligently working on the implications of this benefits adjustment. You will receive further detailed guidance as it becomes finalized and available. We appreciate your continued patience in this matter until this guidance is available. In the interim, you may contact the Total Force Service Center (TFSC) at 1-800-525-0102.

AF authorizes medical benefits for some separatees WASHINGTON (AFNS) Air Force senior leaders announced adjustments to benefits for Airmen separated under the fiscal year 2014 Voluntary Separation Pay (VSP) program Oct. 31.

Based on inconsistent issuance and confusion with transitional medical benefits for Airmen separating under the VSP program, the Air Force requested clarification from the Office of the Secretary of Defense General Counsel. A review of the law (10 USC 1175a) determined that the Air Force is authorized to pay the transition assistance management program (TAMP) benefits to Airmen separated under VSP.

I understand this situation affects the livelihood of our Airmen which is why we aggressively sought clarification from the Department, said Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James. I am pleased to see our Airmen will receive the needed transitional benefits they deserve.

TAMP provides Airmen with medical transition benefits for 180 days from an Airmans date of separation. In addition to the monetary incentive for those who elected the VSP option, permissive TDY, commissary, exchange and Morale Welfare and Recreation privileges are extended with an agreement to serve in the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR).

Specific instructions on implementation of the benefits will be provided to affected Airmen late next week.

Lt. General Sam Cox says you guys (I'm already out) shouldn't be online getting information from blogs and forums but instead be using your local personal office or AFPC for VSP guidance and sites such as this are nothing but a bunch of outside agitators.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Lt. General Sam Cox says you guys (I'm already out) shouldn't be online getting information from blogs and forums but instead be using your local personal office or AFPC for VSP guidance and sites such as this are nothing but a bunch of outside agitators.

That statement certainly makes it sound like he is slightly "agitated"

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Sorry... Leaders are going to have to deal with social media and a well-connected force.

These tools can be used to highlight times when AFPC guidance is less than clear which results in very different implementations across the AF. They can also be used as an additional comm channel: some organizations have used these vehicles to quickly harness the power of the organization.

• Upvote 1

I receive more accurate information from this site than any other medium in the Air Force. No offense to AFPC but they don't look too good by not running this program with a bit more transparency than is currently being done.

• Upvote 2

I remember sitting in Polifka getting a briefing from the AF/A1 and as I was seeing charts about Force Management programs with very detailed information, I was thinking there are about 800 of us getting this information, there are about 330,000 more Airmen that need to be getting it but aren't. None of these charts were available to Airmen because they had sensitive personnel information. The Air Force's inability to get an accurate and useful message out about anything forces us to turn to the only sources that ever seem to provide anything helpful, internet forums.

Edited by Gravedigger
  • Upvote 1

Note that Lt Gen Cox did NOT say that you should attempt to get said info from a local commander.

Remember when your chain of command meant something, and commanders were notified when their personnel received life-changing news? The robot email now knows more about your destiny than the man in the office with the G-series orders.

My, how things have changed...

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

With all the blown suspenses the AF has produced with these FM programs, I'm not sure what to make of the dates a functional sent out last week but looks like SRs will more than likely be passing out the pink slips next week for those still awaiting their fate (unless of course there's another "strategic pause").

· 19 Nov 14 - Reduction in Force (RIF) Results (Public Release)

· 21 Nov 14 - IDE/SDE Designation Board Results (Public Release)

I did talk to my FSS POC (0-3) and he confirmed he received an email (that he couldn't pass to me) that next week was when SRs were supposedly going to find out who in their org are getting the boot and who aren't. However, he said the email didn't have a 19 Nov date in it.

I imagine though that Big Blue would rather pass the pink slips this coming week rather than Thanksgiving week because I'm sure plenty of folks will probably be out a good chunk of Turkey week..

I imagine though that Big Blue would rather pass the pink slips this coming week rather than Thanksgiving week because I'm sure plenty of folks will probably be out a good chunk of Turkey week..

Didn't stop them from dropping all those PSDMS at 1700 the day most people left for Xmas vacation last year.