FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

FYI, this may be common knowledge but it wasn't for me. When I got VSP approved, the A1C at the MPF sent me the email verifying it and it said, in all caps, "Since you are separating voluntarily you are not entitled to 20 days PTDY." This is not true. If you look at the FAQs on mypers it clearly states that we do get the 20 days. I brought it to her and she said "Oh yeah, you do get the 20 days, sorry."

I also talked to Airman and Family Readiness Center and they confirmed that even though VSP says we are not entitled to TAMP, if you join a Reserve Unit as a drilling reservist you will get 180 days of active duty healthcare.

FYI, this may be common knowledge but it wasn't for me. When I got VSP approved, the A1C at the MPF sent me the email verifying it and it said, in all caps, "Since you are separating voluntarily you are not entitled to 20 days PTDY." This is not true. If you look at the FAQs on mypers it clearly states that we do get the 20 days. I brought it to her and she said "Oh yeah, you do get the 20 days, sorry."

I also talked to Airman and Family Readiness Center and they confirmed that even though VSP says we are not entitled to TAMP, if you join a Reserve Unit as a drilling reservist you will get 180 days of active duty healthcare.

Really? So we get 20 days of job hunting if approved for VSP? I'm scheduled for a 737-Type rating/ATP course in June. Would love to use PTDY instead of taking Leave.

Really? So we get 20 days of job hunting if approved for VSP? I'm scheduled for a 737-Type rating/ATP course in June. Would love to use PTDY instead of taking Leave.

yep, 20 days of PTDY when separating...pretty legit.

@FLY6584 take a look at permissive tdy rule 15. I have heard people being approved for that.

Also, according to a c17 guy who is outprocessing under vsp, he can only take 60 days of terminal, so he's burning through some leave now instead of being able to take it in one big chunk.

Edited by Pirot

What AFSC and year group? When did you get notification?

3pox1 and 4 year group i was notified on monday the 5th of may im hoping the rip i got from mps is my orders and i was only allowed 5 ptdy days

FLY, where are you doing your type? Im in vegas doing it right now.

They just updated all the guidance and you def. get the 20 days PTDY. Also, if you have 70 days of leave then thats when you start your terminal, how can they tell you you cant take it all at once?? Makes no sense. And instead of burning it all right now, just sell some. About 50 days gets you around $9k as a Major

FLY, where are you doing your type? Im in vegas doing it right now.

They just updated all the guidance and you def. get the 20 days PTDY. Also, if you have 70 days of leave then thats when you start your terminal, how can they tell you you cant take it all at once?? Makes no sense. And instead of burning it all right now, just sell some. About 50 days gets you around $9k as a Major

I'm doing mine at CPT down in Miami. Had a buddy go through who had nothing, but good things to say about it. Classes of 4 people... two teams of two so that should be nice also.

I only have about 14 days of leave so that's not really an issue for me. I have never hesitated to take a vacation when I needed it and I most certainly needed it a lot while on AD.

@FLY6584 take a look at permissive tdy rule 15. I have heard people being approved for that.

Also, according to a c17 guy who is outprocessing under vsp, he can only take 60 days of terminal, so he's burning through some leave now instead of being able to take it in one big chunk.

Yeah my partner that I'm going through training with got approved for that under rule 15, but he's a LtCol staff guy right now so his Commander wasn't worried about a bunch of guys in a flying squadron putting in for it if he approved it for him.

The rule can be interpreted both ways. I can see how a Commander would approve it and I could see how a Commander wouldn't approve it. I'm waiting to see what happens with the VSP before I ask my Commander. Worse comes to worse I'll just use my leave which will suck, but it'll be nice to have that box checked.

Edited by FLY6584

Enlisted VSP has nothing to do with Officer VSP, which applies to the majority of folks here.

I think he's trying to say congrats on VSP, but for some reason it came out with a hint of douchebag.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Upvote 1

I'm doing mine at CPT down in Miami. Had a buddy go through who had nothing, but good things to say about it. Classes of 4 people... two teams of two so that should be nice also.

I only have about 14 days of leave so that's not really an issue for me. I have never hesitated to take a vacation when I needed it and I most certainly needed it a lot while on AD.

Yeah my partner that I'm going through training with got approved for that under rule 15, but he's a LtCol staff guy right now so his Commander wasn't worried about a bunch of guys in a flying squadron putting in for it if he approved it for him.

The rule can be interpreted both ways. I can see how a Commander would approve it and I could see how a Commander wouldn't approve it. I'm waiting to see what happens with the VSP before I ask my Commander. Worse comes to worse I'll just use my leave which will suck, but it'll be nice to have that box checked.

I just did the CPT program in April and was very happy. It's not really fun, but it's not really difficult either. You're busy for 10 days straight, but its definitely worth it in the end. Plus, if you use VA, they somehow know exactly how to do the paperwork such that it gets approved really quickly. I finished on Apr 11, and I got my VA refund check from CPT on 5 May.

Edited by Mish_Hacker

So it's Friday, anyone have odds on whether we hear anything at all today?

"We find it's always better to fire people on a Friday. Studies have statistically shown that there's less chance of an incident if you do it at the end of the week."

• Upvote 1

yep, 20 days of PTDY when separating...pretty legit.

What reg is that written in? It goes against everything we've been told since December. It's something I need to see to believe. Not saying I'm doubting you, just verifying.

What reg is that written in? It goes against everything we've been told since December. It's something I need to see to believe. Not saying I'm doubting you, just verifying.

AFI 36-3003 Table 7 Rule 4. Key words are MAY and UP TO. Be sure to fully understand column C when making arrangements.

So the way I read it you only are eligible for the 20 days of PTDY if you're VSPing or retiring, not just regular-guy separating...that check?

Also never realized you could get up to 7 days PTDY to interview for a Guard/Reserve job. Oh well...the more you know! All the PC hopefuls can put that in their hip pocket if they didn't know already...AFI 36-3003 table 7 rule 19.

Edited by nsplayr