FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

I do worry for the guys who think PC will be available to them after VSP though as the matrix will probably turn red very fast.

This a catch-22. If several applicants get their VSP denied to try to encourage Palace Chase applications, the matrix won't go red early. If the matrix goes red early, then a lot of VSP applications are being approved. I definitely would've gone the Palace Chase route had they said that they would definitely give preference to that over VSP. As it was, I would've had to pull my VSP application to apply for Palace Chase, and that didn't seem like a wise move given the fact that AFPC has been consistently opaque about the selection process. Now, almost three months after my app, they say that order of application has no bearing on selection, but this way I at least have a shot at both. It's no wonder the AFPC patch is a guy shooting himself in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

It would have been smarter for AFPC to execute this in a graduated manner. Announce a 3-step voluntary process with distinct application windows: Expanded PC, ADSC Waiver, and then VSP. Expanded Palace Chase (1 to 1) only for the first month. Pause for a week and process applications. Release a new matrix (preferably one with numbers vice colors). Open the ADSC Waiver window for a month; you get out of your commitment, but no separation pay. Pause and process. Release new matrix. Now open the VSP window for a month. Pause and process. Release new matrix. Announce the RIF eligible year group/AFSC and offer one last chance to VSP for those who get their RRF and realize that they are #69/69 in the group because they deployed 7 times instead of finishing that last Master's class. Now use the RIF to meet your final manning targets.

This way, the most motivated people to get out will go first. As long as you announce the plan early (and then stick to it), people will have more time to plan and I think it would be a more equitable process. Transparency would help too...

• Upvote 3

Now, almost three months after my app, they say that order of application has no bearing on selection, but this way I at least have a shot at both. It's no wonder the AFPC patch is a guy shooting himself in the head.

Didn't the original message say that it was not first come, first serve?

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

It would have been smarter for AFPC to execute this in a graduated manner. Announce a 3-step voluntary process with distinct application windows: Expanded PC, ADSC Waiver, and then VSP. Expanded Palace Chase (1 to 1) only for the first month. Pause for a week and process applications. Release a new matrix (preferably one with numbers vice colors). Open the ADSC Waiver window for a month; you get out of your commitment, but no separation pay. Pause and process. Release new matrix. Now open the VSP window for a month. Pause and process. Release new matrix. Announce the RIF eligible year group/AFSC and offer one last chance to VSP for those who get their RRF and realize that they are #69/69 in the group because they deployed 7 times instead of finishing that last Master's class. Now use the RIF to meet your final manning targets.

This way, the most motivated people to get out will go first. As long as you announce the plan early (and then stick to it), people will have more time to plan and I think it would be a more equitable process. Transparency would help too...

Could not have said it better myself. Why can't the folks that are supposed to be subject matter experts at this come up with a simple effective plan like this that is cost effective for the Air Force and fair to it's members? It's so hard to believe that an organization can be as incompetent and useless as much as AFPC is. When this debacle is over these individuals need to meet the equivalent of an FEB and those that have conjured up the financial loss equivalent of a Class A mishap need to be fired.

If we can be fired for poor judgement that leads to the loss of millions of dollars then these people need to be held to the same standard!

Edited by FLY6584
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hahahaha... Ha! The original message said a lot of things. Few of which have held any water.

Agreed and being surprised that part of it was true is a normal response, however credibility drops when one makes it sound like this is the first one has heard of it not being first come, first serve. Maybe I misread the intent...I just don't think you can have it both ways; either way just an observation

Edited by Herk Driver

Didn't the original message say that it was not first come, first serve?

Yes, with the caveat that there would be monthly batch processing and that eligible year groups/AFSCs would be closed out as the batches were processed, so you were encouraged to apply early. That statement implied that earlier was better if you hoped to be approved. That changed to the "not first come, first served" with no caveats that we have now.

Talked to the Total Farse Service Center just after midnight CST (deployed)... Asked about updated VSP adjudication timelines and the dude just read me the standard response of "no later than mid-may". Let's see if AFPC's definition of mid-May (NLT 31 Dec) = my definition of mid-May (NLT 15 May). Good Luck

-SH

Talked to the Total Farse Service Center just after midnight CST (deployed)... Asked about updated VSP adjudication timelines and the dude just read me the standard response of "no later than mid-may". Let's see if AFPC's definition of mid-May (NLT 31 Dec) = my definition of mid-May (NLT 15 May). Good Luck

-SH

Also note the information on the website (legit? Who the F knows?). It say notification of approvals and disapprovals will be accomplished no later than "approximately 10 May." Whether that date holds any relevance or can be interpreted as "mid-May", who the F knows? One thing is certain, though, is that this is the softest deadline ever. Who says my deadline is approximate? More of a target, than deadline in my book...

I heard (this is second-hand) that two '06 11Bs from Ellsworth got disapproved yesterday (somehow); notification was from their commander. One '06 11B was approved for PALACE CHASE. The VSP applicants are currently deployed.

A call to the TFSC today reiterated that applications are still in process and will be approved/disapproved by the middle of May. Not sure if that means approximately 10 May or 15 May...

Let me start with the fact that this is purely my guess but...since AFPC clearly doesn't work on the weekends and they said "approximately 10 days after the window closes" if you count 10 business days starting today the tenth day is 15 May. So mid may and 10 days seems to be the same date, just throwing this out there.

Let me start with the fact that this is purely my guess but...since AFPC clearly doesn't work on the weekends and they said "approximately 10 days after the window closes" if you count 10 business days starting today the tenth day is 15 May. So mid may and 10 days seems to be the same date, just throwing this out there.

BOOM - Mind blown...

Is anyone able to check MyPers to see if the new RIF slides were posted as has been promised in the last two "Pulse on Force Management" articles? The AF portal and MyPers are down for non-.mil domain users currently.

Another one bites the dust.

Officer RIF matrices posted this week

The LAF and health professions reduction in force matrices will be posted to myPers this week. These matrices will give Airmen a better understanding of who will be eligible for the October board and their individual vulnerability by Air Force specialty codes and year group. These matrices can also be accessed through the force management graphic on the Air Force Portal and on the AF.mil site

• Upvote 1

Tunes, I'd take that bet. After all, we all wrote RRFs the last time this happened.

I already have had to write one just based on when the squadron's change-of-command falls. Our current SQ/CC wanted a chance to review them before he left.

I already have had to write one just based on when the squadron's change-of-command falls. Our current SQ/CC wanted a chance to review them before he left.

Yeah mine was written in February. I wonder what it says...

Might get another chance next year, the panel agreed to next years' reduction (which charlie17chick reported they were seeking)

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/04/30/panel-approves-troop-reductions-not-benefit-cuts.html?comp=700001075741&rank=7

The subcommittee's budget reflects the numbers requested by the service branches for 2015, including 490,000 soldiers, a reduction of 30,000, 184,100 Marines, making the Corps smaller by 6,100 leathernecks, and 310,900 airmen, which would be 16,700 fewer than in the active force now.

These numbers include the cuts currently underway. FY14 end strength requested was 327,600. They said during the strategic pause that the previous cut of 25k would be more like 15k due to budget changes. 327,600-16,700 = 310,900 for next year.

I'm not sure with PC apps, TERA, and VSP but there may not be many left to separate under another round of force shaping, but who knows.

I never had faith in the VSP. It's a lottery that nobody knows the rules to. Would it be nice to take the VSP money and go to my guard job? Yah sure. However if you apply logic (very dangerous to do) to AFPCs mentality, it would seem that transferring someone to the Guard would be a better business decision than paying them and losing 100% of the investment.

I do think the big cuts will be through VSP and they will fine tune the numbers with Palace Chase (as it goes out to 1 July I think). I do worry for the guys who think PC will be available to them after VSP though as the matrix will probably turn red very fast.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This was my logic also. Would I like the PURE freedom to get out and get money in addition? Absolutely. But this SEEMS to be a business decision by the AF and despite being a military, decisions will be made from a business standpoint (IMO). To me the VSP is a gamble, none of us know how they will truly figure this out. PC on the other hand is an easier decision because they aren't completely losing you. Of course I could be way off, but I just got approved in less than 2 days after submitting my PC app with a position number. If some of you are on the fence and have a position number, just think about it because a lot of people are quickly getting approved right now. Good luck everyone.

2007 11M, 4 years 3 months of ADSC remaining

• Upvote 1

This was my logic also. Would I like the PURE freedom to get out and get money in addition? Absolutely. But this SEEMS to be a business decision by the AF and despite being a military, decisions will be made from a business standpoint (IMO). To me the VSP is a gamble, none of us know how they will truly figure this out. PC on the other hand is an easier decision because they aren't completely losing you. Of course I could be way off, but I just got approved in less than 2 days after submitting my PC app with a position number. If some of you are on the fence and have a position number, just think about it because a lot of people are quickly getting approved right now. Good luck everyone.

2007 11M, 4 years 3 months of ADSC remaining

The problem is at least at my base it takes about a month from when you start the PC app to when it's submitted to afpc. Most of us went with vsp because of the whole they said monthly batches.... And you are attempting to apply logic... Something big blue is unfamiliar with.

Edited by tunes

The problem is at least at my base it takes about a month from when you start the PC app to when it's submitted to afpc. Most of us went with vsp because of the whole they said monthly batches.... And you are attempting to apply logic... Something big blue is unfamiliar with.

Completely valid, as logic is something that must be applied with caution, if at all in this case. It took me over a month because of a bad recruiter who didn't tell me he was headed to SNCOA and then PCSing while I was on leave. Awesome. His boss took over (once I was actually able to track someone down who was in their office) and I was able to submit everything in probably 6 weeks total. I totally get where you're coming from, it's frustrating no matter how you go about this. Just passing my experience along.