FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

I'll ask him what he was approved for, he was really surprised he got it so fast, less than 24hr turnaround apparently. '

And I'm not sure exactly what 18thAF/CC said, but he was talking to a bunch of Capt's in that new virtual GRACC tour they do in lieu of a TDY, our guy came out of the session (all online) and was talking about how that was 18AF/CC's biggest personnel concern.

Its all RUMINT as far as i'm concerned, but I thought they warrant passing out to BODN. How are the rest of the squadrons looking at this? Any ATP/Airline talks? Ops normal? Just wondering

I think the AF managers could gain some credibility by not screwing this one up (not working out so far). Don't offer TERA and then deny it… don't let anyone apply for VSP and then tell them after they aren't eligible… don't change the rules midstream. We have a "glut of 11Ms" as Chang claims? Let them go.

Edited by Rusty Pipes

In all seriousness...and I know, I'm usually extremely sarcastic (which drives Champ and Rusty nuts), but not in this instance....please give me straight-forward, honest feedback on why you (if applicable) are so confident that things in the civilian world will be significantly better for you, your family, your sense of purpose, your paycheck...your life. Is there nothing redeeming anymore about a full Air Force career? Is "Air Force Career" a dirty phrase?

There's so much anger on BODN, I don't think General Welsh could do anything to please many of you. I don't see that much anger in real life, so I'm trying to understand the disconnect.

Thanks in advance for the straight-forward, specific responses. And if you love what you do, please don't be afraid to post as well.

Edited for spelling- thanks Barnes.

Edited by General Chang
  • Downvote 1

How are the rest of the squadrons looking at this? Any ATP/Airline talks? Ops normal? Just wondering

5 new ATPS in the last couple months, 2 more taking written this month followed soon by practical. 4 of us just took the Emerald Coast Interview course so yes, lots happening here.

In all seriousness...and I know, I'm usually extremely sarcastic (which drives Champ and Rusty nuts), but not in this instance....please give me straight-forward, honest feedback on why you (if applicable) are so confident that things in the civilian world will be significantly better for you, your family, your sense of purpose, your paycheck...your life. Is there nothing redeeming anymore about a full Air Force career? Is "Air Force Career" a dirty phrase?

There's so much anger on BODN, I don't think General Welch could do anything to please many of you. I don't see that much anger in real life, so I'm trying to understand the disconnect.

Thanks in advance for the straight-forward, specific responses. And if you love what you do, please don't be afraid to post as well.

Who's Gen Welch? Is he the new A1?

• Upvote 2

People are frustrated because these force management programs have huge implications on our personal lives. And when we aren't getting the information we need to make career decisions, it makes it even worse. I found out about the delayed VSP roll out from here, not my chain of command. That's just sad.

• Upvote 1

taking my written tomorrow morning...

Chang the reasons for wanting out are as numerous as the opinions on the board. For starters, you can live where you want and not get bounced around the same bases every few years just because. This will only get worse as higher rank is achieved and you get further from the cockpit. AMC's (& C130 especially) idea of leadership is Q3'ing everybody in the squadron for any mistake (especially flap overspeeds of less than 10 knots). The light at the end of tunnel was the mil pension which was just cut and will likely continue to be a target for future cuts/changes. Oh and since sequestration, many pilots are averaging under 10 hrs a month, unless they're deployed and we enjoy our time in wonderful countries like Afghanistan so much...

There was an amendment to the TERA PSDM the day before the window opened. Amendments below:

An Officer who is selected for assignment prior to submission of retirement eligibility request may apply; however, if the Officer’s Report Not Later Than Date (RNLTD) does not allow sufficient time to receive a reply on the retirement application prior to departure, the Officer must submit a request for extension of the RNTLD and DEROS (if applicable) using the applications in the virtual MPF. Officer should contact the MPS for assistance in submitting these applications. Please note: Retirement applications will not be expedited for individuals projected for assignment.

Retirements: Verify your duty email address and phone number, click "I have verified my email and phone" click "Self-Service Actions", click "Retirements", click "Request Retirement", click "Check Retirement Eligibility," enter the date 1 Aug 14, select the retirement program "Temporary Early Retirement Authority" and submit.

Don't know if that changes anything for people that may have been on the fence regarding an assignment or if they submitted under a different retirement program when applying for TERA.

There's so much anger on BODN, I don't think General Welch could do anything to please many of you. I don't see that much anger in real life, so I'm trying to understand the disconnect.

A) Who the F is this Gen. Welch you speak of? Is he a purveyor or juice products? Not the first time you've made this mistake...

B) I'll humor you and play your game. The answers to your questions would be evident if you read many of the threads here or left your office and talked to real no-joke airmen. I digress...as someone who's getting out and looking to take advantage of whatever seperations programs the AF may decide to offer my year group and AFSC:

I've had a great time in the AF. On the logical side, great, stable paycheck, recession-proof employment over the last 6+ years, lived in some nice places for the most part, good medical and family support for myself and dependents. On the more emotional side, great dudes, awesome mission where I feel we're really making a difference, got to fly some great airplanes, very proud to have served my country and I hope to be able to do so in other ways in the future.

Why am I wanting to get out you ask? Endless deployments, terrible personnel management (I'm looking at you A1...), non-releasable for anything other than flying the line and churning out deployments, ready for new challenges, not looking for more undesirable PCSs either. Massive uncertainty on the future of my community and what that means for one's career, where they will live, how much they'll be gone from family, etc. I'd love to stay in and do any number of jobs AD Air Force has to offer...they just aren't willing to offer then to me or my peers at this point or at any point in the near future. Career field too undermanned to support anything other than flying and deploying and adding more air medals over and over and over again. So I'll release myself.

Looking at guard opportunities, looking at other federal employment, mildly looking at other random non-gov related jobs but honestly I'd like to serve in some capacity as a career choice. I look at it like it's all the same team so if AD Air Force isn't willing to play ball with what I and my family want to do with our lives I'm willing to look elsewhere and won't feel a shred of regret or anything other than pride for the career I had up to the day I leave. God speed to my bros who are staying because it's an important job and I'm in awe of many of the good guys who want to do it for the long haul.

All that said...if this is all another BS "service before self" ploy to guilt dudes into staying on active duty, I'm sorry that you're even attempting that. It's extremely inappropriate at any level to pull that move on dudes who are separating after honorably serving.

Now get off BO.net and get back to fixing this force management train-wreck Debaclypse 2014.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 6

There's so much anger on BODN, I don't think General Welsh could do anything to please many of you. I don't see that much anger in real life, so I'm trying to understand the disconnect.

I hate to answer a question with a question, but maybe you and the people you work for need to ask yourself this… How can you manage to take some of the smartest, most highly motivated, talented, skilled, unselfish, mission oriented, succeed at all cost, patriotic citizens this country has to offer… and make them want to do something other than what many of them have dreamed their whole lives about doing??? I have learned by being on this forum long enough not to speak for others, so I will just speak for me. Since I was 4 yrs old I wanted to be a pilot. I didn't want to be just a pilot, I wanted to be a military pilot. The proudest day of my life aside from becoming a Dad was pinning my Wings on my chest… I love wearing a flight suit and I love each and every crew dawg that straps into the seat to go to every shit country that ends in "stan" so that hopefully my kids won't have to!!! It has no kidding been my dream my entire life to be able to do what I do… but I don't want to do it anymore! It's not that I don't want to hack the mission or deploy or put on a tan flight suit anymore (I'll honestly eventually miss all of that)… its that I don't want to deal with moron managers who couldn't lead a bowling ball down a hill. Patton, LeMay, Mitchell… they probably wouldn't make Captain in today's Air Force because they (like most of those who bail AD at the first opportunity) had the balls to look at the boss and say, "Sir, this is fucking stupid!" Somehow with the amazing talent pool that we have to choose from we manage to drive most of our leaders out… for some unknown reason you and your bosses can't figure out why. And for some ungodly reason… you and your bosses actually think that YOU are leaders. You're not...

Edited by Rusty Pipes
  • Upvote 10

Guest LumberjackAxe

Reasons I want to get out (even though I'm about to pin on Captain):

- I can't stand the ever-looming threat of PCS'ing to FOB Cannon/Creech/Whiteman/Grand Forks, regardless of my performance as a pilot.

- I don't like how my job performance to get promoted/ranked high/get a good next assignment isn't based on my flying abilities (if I don't do any extracurriculars, then I'm bottom third of CGOs, and when my squadron gets a drone billet that has to be filled, I get it regardless of my flying abilities or performance as a pilot).

- Having to request leave to take vacation sucks, then getting denied because no more than 10% of pilots can be gone from the squadron at one time, even though I was deployed for the last two holidays, and never mind the fact that I'm just going to sit home anyway because we don't ######ing work during Christmas (or maybe some of us do--my bro had to fly on Dec 24th, only to step to the jet and have the flight get canxed). Oh and half the squadron is already gone because they are deploying only to fly 1 day out of 5.

- I'm tired of deploying to the same $hit hole, while pretending to play "war" while staying in a country that most Europeans vacation to.

- I knew what I signed up for, but now the benefits are shrinking (pay, allowances, stipends, retirements, etc...).

- More and more people are getting out, but the workload is remaining the same (or increasing in some cases), which means that for us poor saps left, our life is about to get even more shittier (increased workload/ops tempo, more desk flying).

Reasons I would rather work in the civilian world (not even including the airlines):

- I would have 99.69% more control over where I live.

- I would have much more freedom and flexibility about what kind of work I do (I signed up to be a pilot, but I sit in front of a computer more often than I do flying related duties--that's not right).

- I would work for a company motivated by profit, therefore they would have an incentive for efficiency, unlike the Air Force.

- FedEx MD-11 pilots make a boatload more than I do, for essentially the same job.

- Better family benefits (no VA hospitals, significantly less paperwork for insurance and benefits, could be around for my kids' lives, etc...)

- I could grow a beard

- Get paid more

- Not get PCS'd to the worst locations in America for the worst assignment in the Air Force

- My extracurricular activities wouldn't be an "unofficial" requirement for my performance review.

- My friend's wife being "head of the spouse's club" wouldn't be a bullet on their OPR (it was on his supplemental bullet memo to accompany our OPRs for that last Captain's Board earlier this year).

- Much more free time to devote to things that are important to me, such as sailing, writing, local politics, anything other than volunteering to raise money for a booster club that buys lithographs for retirees).

Anyone care to add anything?

Edited by LumberjackAxe

...why you (if applicable) are so confident that things in the civilian world will be significantly better for you, your family, your sense of purpose, your paycheck...your life. Is there nothing redeeming anymore about a full Air Force career? Is "Air Force Career" a dirty phrase?

Its not that there's "nothing redeeming" about a full AF career... its more that the costs are starting to outweigh the benefits for some. The AF's HR system (even when compared to other services) is a joke, young leaders feel crushed by the bureaucracy, and there's a very apparent disconnect between the CSAF's message ("If a regulation doesn't make sense, then don't do it") and what is actually being executed (Q3s for everyone!).

The AF has trained us to make spot decisions with incomplete information that risks millions in equipment and lives, and we do it pretty damn well. The outside world very much values that skillset ...while the AF seems culturally aloof to the idea of efficiency or reform. Pay isn't the issue. The Chief is right...the AF has serious cultural issues. Unfortunately, they have little to do with sexual assault. It's more that innovation and efficiency are stifled in favor of keeping the status quo. Simply put: the AF is not a rewarding or satisfying place to work at most of the time. Everything from the assignment system, to promotions, to our inability to get bad (but not criminal) leaders out plays a part. The most valuable and most innovative sector of the AF work force is trying to leave wholesale: alarm bells should be ringing in Arlington.

Some are deciding that staying in just to reach retirement isn't the right reason to stay. I thank them for their service.

I don't see that much anger in real life, so I'm trying to understand the disconnect.

The anonymity of BaseOps provides a place to vent. At the same time, your troops are professional enough to not display their anger/frustration to you. The ground truth is probably somewhere between BaseOps and your present perception of reality.

• Upvote 1

why you (if applicable) are so confident that things in the civilian world will be significantly better for you, your family, your sense of purpose, your paycheck...your life. Is there nothing redeeming anymore about a full Air Force career? Is "Air Force Career" a dirty phrase?

I wouldn't say AF Career is a dirty word, but I for one don't want to put up with horrible mismanagement that has become a staple in the AF over the last few years. Just look at how bad this Force Management thing has played out. We're told over and over that our leaders care about us. People just want straight forward answers even if those answers aren't popular. We don't appreciate being told one thing only to have it change right before application window opens. This is obviously a big decision for people and their families, perhaps for some of us the biggest life decision we've made to date and A1 figures out a way to royally f--k it up. Why on earth would I want to continue working for this organization?

And to answer your first question, I'm confident enough in my skills (flying or my technical background) to take a chance, if you call it that, in the civilian world. I like to think of it more of an opportunity. Bottom line, the AF isn't that satisfying right now and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Edited by Lumbergh

<br />- My friend's wife being "head of the spouse's club" wouldn't be a bullet on their OPR (it was on his supplemental bullet memo to accompany our OPRs for that last Captain's Board earlier this year).<br /> <br />Anyone care to add anything?

<br /><br />Doesn't the AFI for evaluations specifically prohibit (or used to prohibit) mention of family stuff in OPRs, PRFs etc?

In all seriousness...

I'll bite, although I feel as though my response would fall on deaf ears. I have thought about this question for many years (I'm not just about to pin on Capt) and have come to quite a few answers to that questions. My answers are three fold, with a summary at the end. The short of it, we just aren't even.

1. Integrity First- This catch phrase is used to encompass the expectations of subordinates, but not accountable to self or superior. I have seen blatant betrayals from senior leaders when the "deal changes", during any feedback session, or through the horrible personnel management.

2. Service Before Self- The comment in itself reeks of cold war propaganda. Many people subscribe to the God, Family, Country mentality but the Air Force would have you believe that you would put all personal desires second to the Air Force needs. The "needs of the Air Force" have been met personally by my by missing the majority of my own birthdays, christmas and 4th of July celebrations. I have also put the service first by moving to undesirable locations on a timeline chosen for me by the Air Force. In return I am rewarded by the likes of TAMI 21 and multiple RIFs. It is of absolutely no surprise to me that this concept of a one way street with no expectation of the service to show gratitude for my dedication to it's cause.

3. Excellence in All We Do- I can't believe that this even exists as a core value any more. We have punted the majority of the leadership challenges that have come our way in recent years. The least of which is not defined by the current state of large scale acquisition programs. The fraud, waste and abuse run rampant among spineless senior leaders more focused on the nest promotion than holding peers and superiors accountable for their actions. I believe excellence exists in the warriors that I have flown with in combat. I believe whole-heartedly that it exists in most squadrons. I do not believe that it exists above that level.

The last, and most important, is the informal "affirmative action" implemented amongst company and field grade officers. The Air Force has gone to great lengths to ensure that we are all wingmen, warriors and leaders. We have reverted to baseline stratifications, masters degrees, PT tests and PME completion as a measure of success instead of number of combat deployments, hours spent in the vault or countless early morning, late nights and endless TDYs.

I want to be very clear. We are not equal. A pilot should not be measured against a personnel, maintenance or finance officer. We aren't the same people. We, as aviators, assume an inordinate amount more risk when we execute combat airdrops, prepare for air-air refueling, or execute a combat mission. We aren't even. When reviewing commissioning sources over various years you will find that pilots are required to be the top 50% or better (10% at times) of their peers. Further, at SUPT, T-38 candidates must be in the top 50% of their class. We aren't even, we aren't even close. So, when 10 years into my career a commander stratifies pilots amongst pilots it should be assumed that those numbers are easily the top percentages of the Air Force. Through the personnel management programs we have attempted to even the playing field by placing emphasis on PME and AAD. Yes, I expect that a Personnel 2LT after having completed 4 months of training in his primary AFSC should have the time and energy to commit to those. Conversely, after 12 months of SUPT followed by 6 months of MWS specific training, followed by 6 months of MQT a pilot is given the opportunity to be the WORST pilot in the squadron. From there he is expected to work 12 hour days, spend weekends preparing for upgrades and countless days and weeks on the road. We aren't even.

So, you ask why, that's why. We aren't even. We aren't even close. In a completely humble and non assuming context I contend that we just aren't the same people. We are cut from a different cloth and the Air Force has attempted to make us the same guy. So, after 12 years of military service I will cut my losses and take my chances in other ventures. I am willing to wager my military retirement that my statements above are of more substance than mere narcissism.

I'm disappointed in the Air Force, in it's leadership and the way in which it downplays it's most valuable resources. We just aren't even.

• Upvote 21

I think the writing is on the wall. Congress has already shown they are willing and able to cut our retirement, entitlements and benefits. Having been a nation at war for over a decade, our military is tired. People are tired of the constant deployments, constant PCSs and fear of going to crap assignments and locations. The powers that be don't even want to compensate us for the frequent and significant sacrifices we have made to 'serve' this nation. I fortunately have had some amazing leaders at the squadron level but I wouldn't follow most senior leaders to the bathroom, much less to the battlefield. Senior leaders keep us busy with queep, inspections, complex policies and continue to make it harder and harder to advance without butt snorkeling and stepping on everyone around you to get to the top for the prize of the almost past tense 'retirement'. Well since congress showed their cards, I'm ready to show mine. I'm burnt out on working harder than those around me to end up sitting at a desk, not flying, afraid of another non-flying assignment all at the risk of retirement not even being around when I can actually collect it and benefits being compromised - essentially nothing to show for living a life that is unstable and unpredictable. I can surely see why the most intelligent and hard working leaders leave!-- and then to tell us you will cut 25,000 Airmen so those of us remaining can bear the burden when they are gone.. Continuing the cycle of doing "more" BS with less, no thank you! Like others have said, I have served my country, it's time to move on to do something different; Be at home with my family, be able to have children without feeling my stratification is at risk by doing so, actually fly an airplane, not spend 40+ hours a week at a desk doing queep and additional duties, not deploy, not PCS and not worry about getting screwed over by lazy functionals who just want to fill a billet. To be honest with you, id leave the Air Force for free. This is a different Air Force than even my parents served in. When my 10 years are up the Air Force won't even be able to pay me to stay. As people have cited, there's a real issue with the quality of today's military senior leaders. With the Exception of General Welsh who has proved to be an exceptional leader, the fact remains, he is is only one man. There is so much disfunction on so many levels in the AF it is starting to become clear to even the lowest levels. I would still like to serve in the guard or reserve in some capacity but I like many others do not feel the cost benefit analysis of staying on active duty given the lengthy list of sacrifices tax payers ask of us passes the dummy check. My husband, also a pilot feels the same. We have both seriously fantasized about vsp since word was released. Good luck continuing to recruit a future volunteer force with the conundrum and debacle we have come to know as the Air Force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Chang,

On Sept 11, 2001, I was a senior in high school. I felt a combination of intense rage at our attackers and a solemn duty that "to whom much is given, much is expected." As someone who felt very blessed in the gene pool and upbringing, I felt it was my solemn duty to lead the fight in defending my country.

Here we are, almost 13 years later. Numerous deployments later, when I look myself in the mirror at 0 dark 30 in some sandy place, I can't convince myself anymore that I'm defending our country. A nation that doesn't care enough to commit to win its wars, yet still commits its troops to sacrifice their relationships, futures, bodies and even their lives. I do what I do solely because of the duty I feel to my brothers on the ground.

The rewards of an Air Force career? I look at the timid souls around and above me, those who in so many cases lack the intellectual honesty or critical thinking to question what exactly they are straining their families for any more. I see, all too often, people afraid to leave the peaceful mediocrity that is the essence of most Air Force careers. These people have turned a bold, fearless organization into one that the Stasi would admire: thou shalt follow the path and the dogma or find thyself forced out.

I've got some things I still want to accomplish. When they're done, I'll forge my own path. Like so many on this board, I know that if I take half the talents and work ethic I've put into flying and apply them to something else, I will succeed.

Have fun with your pathetic little check from mother government.

• Upvote 2

I read some good info in a presentation for MEDICAL AFSC's. Here's an excerpt:

Final reduction targets should be available early Feb 14

Majority of voluntary retirement/separation applications submitted will be held until new numbers are calculated

AGAIN, this is for MEDICAL AFSC's.

This info should also apply to the entire force, but it was in a presentation for MEDICAL personnel.

Quality Force Review Board (QFRB) [...] Voluntary Retirement/Separation Applications: 14 Jan - 26 Mar 14 [...] Steady-state QFRB may become normal practice

I read some good info in a presentation for MEDICAL AFSC's. Here's an excerpt:AGAIN, this is for MEDICAL AFSC's.

This info should also apply to the entire force, but it was in a presentation for MEDICAL personnel.

So, is this for pilots as well, or just Medical?

• Upvote 1

<br />So, is this for pilots as well, or just Medical?

read the post and use your mastery of the English language to decide for yourself.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guys, don't feed the troll. Chang is, at best, a lower-rung staffer who thinks he is empowered by his access to slide decks on a Sharepoint or in some org box. Maybe he gets to sit in the cheap seats during middle-management meetings, nodding profusely and scribbling notes on his steno pad. He is not an authority, and should be disregarded. He logs in to play with your emotions.

Don't feed the troll.

Truth

Chang,

What you read on BODN are the heartfelt emotions of your Air Force warriors...this anger and frustration is pent up deep inside and is far more problematic than you could fathom or repair. The Air Force folks you encounter daily likely aren't the ones on this forum; most of the folks on this forum have been fighting non-stop wars and dealing with suck that you couldn't imagine, so I understand why you feel confused. I would happily tell you in person my perspective if the chance occurred.

I'm deeply saddened that I feel the way that I do. I could write you a thesis about the subject, but most of the points have been covered in other posts. The path that I took to enter the USAF was extremely difficult and most told me it was an impossible dream. I chased a lifelong dream and wouldn't let anything in the world stand in the way of achieving it. During OTS and UPT, my level of passion and dedication to the Air Force was beyond measure. The pride and sense of duty that I felt every waking moment was extraordinary. I prayed that I would be able to serve at least 20 years. All of this was elevated to a new level when my dedication and hard work rewarded me with my fighter assignment. I walked on water...

Fast forward a few years and I am reeling with the debilitating pain of a giant blue cock in my ass fukking away my dreams. That bitch is named TAMI- she works for you. Words can't describe the pain and sense of loss that I felt. Confusion, heartbreak, and crossed describe the feeling well. Faith was lost. Trust was lost. Cards were shown and as a young Lt, I learned a valuable lesson: you are just a number and timing is everything.

I moved on and continued, somehow, to serve the country that I wrote a blank check to, payable with my life. After moving on, Service before Self was paid across 9 grueling deployments where I amassed over 1300 hours in combat serving my country. During this time, I watched the last debacle unfold in regards to the VSP/RIF around the same time I watched Mother Blue ass-###### 157 Majors out of the service. It's amazing how I have spent my entire USAF career serving my country while watching Big Blue ###### over it's own at every step. I've seen it too many times. Most of us have seen what was once our passion turn into just a another shitty job.

I'm a talented aviator and would drive a jet straight to hell to bomb the devils whorehouse and 69 virgins if my country needed me to. Sadly, the Air Force isn't interested in really serving the country or taking care of it's own. I'll find a way to keep serving my country, and it won't be in the active duty AF. Somehow, you have taken the most talented folks this country has to offer and screwed them to a point where they will turn-in their dreams and a six figure income without second thought. If you opened the gates and let folks run, you would see how bad it really is. Instead we play with VSP shenanigans...not only would we leave for free, I would offer up a chunk of savings at this point as would many. When you turn our passion into just a job, we go searching for better jobs. It never was about the job or the money, it was about passion and dreams. You broke faith.

I'm not bluffing and neither are most on this forum. Months ago it seemed like we were being threatened because the cuts were coming and we better check six. I'm calling your bluff. Open the gates...

• Upvote 13

I'll pile on as well. To me, it's all about choice. I realize that in separating from the AF I will most likely take a hefty pay cut, at least in the beginning. However, I will have gained the ability to run my own life, control where I live, what job I take, if I want to be gone from my family. I always said I'd stay in as long as I was still enjoying it. Well, that stopped when I got a terrible assignment after 3 years of doing my job to the best of my ability. Yes, service before self. Yes, needs of the AF. Yes, I signed up knowing this could happen. So I went. There were ups and downs but I never forgot that when AFPC asked me what I wanted to do after my first assignment, they basically shredded my request and put me wherever the @#$% they wanted. 10 years later, I've learned that I am just a number to the AF. That my personal life, personal desires, etc. don't matter a bit to anywho who has any power over my career. I still do the best job I can, but at the first opportunity (and I've already tried: ref last VSP debacle), I will be leaving this one-sided relationship and take on the challenges of doing something else with my life. This will most likely include the Reserves as I enjoy flying and enjoy teaching, but I won't spend the next 10 years of my life waiting for the next shitty deployment to a shittier location so I can miss my kid growing up. It's not worth it, there's no grand strategy forwhat we're doing here, and life is simply too short. I'll find a job after the AF. It might be a desk job, it might be something I'm passionate about, but it will be of my choosing, not some bureaucrat's. That's just me.

• Upvote 2