FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

The word we got at a "town hall" today was that if you are eligible for Tera and RIF, don't apply for Tera and are subsequently told you're RIFd that you would then be able to apply for Tera. The discrepancy in timelines for that was specifically brought up, but that's what the little rock MPS chick had to say about it

The word we got at a "town hall" today was that if you are eligible for Tera and RIF, don't apply for Tera and are subsequently told you're RIFd that you would then be able to apply for Tera. The discrepancy in timelines for that was specifically brought up, but that's what the little rock MPS chick had to say about it

If that is true then they should let the TERA guys pick a retirement date between 1 Aug 14 and 31 Jan 15. Saying they will let you know about TERA by 1 Apr with a mandatory retirement date of 1 Aug is total bullshit because if you have any leave built up you could possibly go immediately on terminal. That gives you no time for the mandatory briefings, classes, etc. I get that it is a good deal to have the TERA offer if you want it, I just don't get the reason for the rush to get them out the door. Anyone hear of a reason for the random 1 Aug mandatory retirement date?

56&2, C17J is talking riddles...there is nothing official on MyPers for either 13-130 or 13-131.

Considering the "unofficial" shit looked pretty much like the "official" shit for 13-130, and MyPers has been lagging behind significantly with info, I wouldn't discount what he says.

It has taken 2 weeks because there are a bunch of Colonels and Generals who have to sign off on it so it was probably sitting in someone's inbox while we were on 'holiday' for the past two weeks. Why should I have to work through the holidays and my time off to release an important message about your career and future??

I'm not sure how confident they were in telling us that. Like every answer they gave, trust but verify. I was surprised on how many questions the CC's were asking.

Considering the "unofficial" shit looked pretty much like the "official" shit for 13-130, and MyPers has been lagging behind significantly with info, I wouldn't discount what he says.

Fuzz, neither PSDM 13-130, 13-131, nor the mysterious matrix associated with them are on myPers as of a few minutes ago so there still is nothing "official".

While I agree with you that noone should expect too many changes from the "unofficial" PSDMs (if any), noone can do squat about anything until they are "official".

Fuzz, neither PSDM 13-130, 13-131, nor the mysterious matrix associated with them are on myPers as of a few minutes ago so there still is nothing "official".

While I agree with you that noone should expect too many changes from the "unofficial" PSDMs (if any), noone can do squat about anything until they are "official".

13-130 and its matrix were on MyPers, I guess they've taken it down now that they don't know what they are doing.

I heard this as well second hand from a coworker. What I don't understand is that if you pass up the opportunity for a good deal, and are then handed a bad deal, what impetus is there for the AF to give you another shot at the good deal? Sure, I'll bet you could apply for TERA once RIF'd but I wonder what the selection rate would be. My guess is zero. Something TERA and RIF eligibles will want to clear up before passing up their opportunity to TERA before being RIF'd.

It's probably a legal thing. If someone is eligible for TERA, but gets RIF'd, the Air Force would be involuntarily separating someone who they just had said was eligible to retire. Legitimate ground for a lawsuit, I imagine.

I heard this as well second hand from a coworker. What I don't understand is that if you pass up the opportunity for a good deal, and are then handed a bad deal, what impetus is there for the AF to give you another shot at the good deal? Sure, I'll bet you could apply for TERA once RIF'd but I wonder what the selection rate would be. My guess is zero. Something TERA and RIF eligibles will want to clear up before passing up their opportunity to TERA before being RIF'd.

This whole thing is stupid. If this is the case they should just say to TERA eligible folks that they have the option to apply, but if they don't meet their "quota" some may possibly be forced to retire… not this basic threat to take TERA now or never. They also need to come out and say if you apply for TERA then you WILL get it… not this apply and we'll let you know shit! A whole lot of people in this eligibility group were part of the last VSP debacle and some wondering if they would get the boot like the poor 157 non-continued guys. This isn't some fucking gameshow where you get to take your chances with what's behind door #2… these are people's lives here; and if we're talking TERA then we are talking about the lives of people who have served every minute of these 12+ years of war! Gameshow… its more like a fucking Clown show!!!

Rant complete...

Edited by Rusty Pipes
  • Upvote 3

It's probably a legal thing. If someone is eligible for TERA, but gets RIF'd, the Air Force would be involuntarily separating someone who they just had said was eligible to retire. Legitimate ground for a lawsuit, I imagine.

Eligible and applying. Bet your ass if the AF denies me and then tries to RIF me I'll be lawyering up while contacting multiple congressmen.

All of this doubt & morale/productivity crushing could be avoided with some clear guidance. UFB.

• Upvote 1

Any of the town halls talk about people who are on deployments/365s already? If they can't get back by 2 Jul 14 (30 days before 1 Aug) they can't apply for TERA (13-128) but if they come out on the RIF eligible list they are suppose to be able to apply for VSP or TERA (13-130 unofficial).

It would make sense if AF wants to cut as many of the 25K as they can now, extend the retirement/eligibility dates so anyone who is downrange and eligible can leave peacefully with TERA or VSP as soon as it is in the best interest of the AF for them to do so.

Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 6:46 PM

TO: MAJCOMS, A1/J1s, FSS/CCs, MPS/Chiefs, MPS Supts
SUBJECT: FY14 Officer Voluntary Separation Pay (VSP) Program Application

Window and Release of FY14 Reduction in Force (RIF)-VSP and Force Shaping

Board (FSB) PSDMs Update

1. Details regarding the Reduction in Force board, coupled with voluntary

separation pay, and the Force Shaping Board are expected to be released

within the next two weeks. The start of the FY14 officer VSP application

window will be shortly after the PSDMs are publicly released. The Air Force

is completing final decisions on eligibility for the boards, which in turn

impacts eligibility for the VSP program. This still allows an eligible

officer a three-month window to apply for voluntary separation programs.

2. The application window for other force management programs already

announced such as Officer and Enlisted Temporary Early Retirement Authority,

Enlisted Voluntary Separation Programs, and Enhanced Selective Early

Retirement Board will remain the same and begin Jan 14, 2014.

Board (FSB) PSDMs Update

Let me guess...11M's will no longer be eligible.

Board (FSB) PSDMs Update

awesome....my base said we could apply early and they would send it to AFPC on the 14th when the window opened so myself and many others already submitted our packages.....

Our MPF chief sent a VSP FY14 calculator that seems to use 5% of base pay x months of service instead of 10% that has been posted here earlier. No reference listed backing the formula used. Anybody have any intel?

that's going around at my deployed location too.....i just figured it was wrong and went with what was in the PSDM

Didn't see that coming...

RIF, FSB and VSP

AFPC has announced that the RIF and FSB rosters will be further delayed, and that as a result the VSP window for application will NOT open on 14 Jan as advertised for these programs. It WILL still open on 14 Jan for other programs. Further details are expected to be released within the next two weeks.

awesome....my base said we could apply early and they would send it to AFPC on the 14th when the window opened so myself and many others already submitted our packages.....

that's going around at my deployed location too.....i just figured it was wrong and went with what was in the PSDM

+1 to that. Wouldn't be surprised if the formula changes in the new PSDM though.

Also FWIW... I asked AFPC a VSP question two days ago using the link on MyPers. The guy answered it referencing the unreleased PSDM and mentioned applying during the application window. If you haven't already submitted paperwork to be held at the Wg, it might be worth thinking about waiting until the application window officially opens to hit submit. It seems reasonable to me that they'd use your application date to determine eligibility vs the date your Wg/CC signs it. Probably a ridiculous detail, but why give them a reason to deny you?