FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

Serve at the pleasure of our senior leaders?!

That is perhaps the most obsequious and pusillanimous statement I've ever heard from our officer corps. I think what you meant to say was that you service the pleasure of your senior leaders. Noonin was spot on.

If you want to contribute to this board, then by all means, please do, but make it something useful. You might start by helping us figure out whether we're actually eligible to apply for this debacle or not.

Bonus points for using "Pusillanimous" correctly in a sentence!

• Upvote 1

PSDM 13-130 if you have access. I didn't see FOUO anywhere, so here you go.

From the RIF slides:

ELIGIBILITY:
Captains in 2005 through 2008 year groups; Majors in 1997 through 1999 and 2001 through 2003 year groups; LAF-J Majors with DOR 1 May 2010 through 30 Sep 2013
In specified AFSCs and competitive categories
See applicable matrix at FM website (link on summary slide)
Officers with less than 6 yrs TAFCS or 18 yrs or more TAFMS as mandatory separation date are ineligible
On promotion list prior to 16 Jun 14 are ineligible
Less than 1 year TIG as of 31 Jan 15 are ineligible
Approved DOS after 31 Jan 15 remain eligible for RIF
GENERAL GUIDANCE:
Mandatory DOS is 31 Jan 15
Commanders will complete Retention Recommendation Forms on all officers meeting the board
Unearned portions of education assistance funds, special pay or bonuses will not be recouped for officers not retained
If not electing to apply for VSP or TERA, Officers with 6 yrs, but less than 20 yrs TAFMS are authorized full separation pay
Officers with 180 days or more AD are authorized TAP benefits
Refer to PSDM for complete criteria and procedural guidance
From the VSP slides:
ELIGIBILITY:
Officers eligible to meet the RIF Board
Officers w/ 6 or more yrs and less than 15 yrs of service as of 31 Jan 15
Application period is 14 Jan to 1 May 14
Mandatory separation date is 29 Sep 14; officers reaching 6-yr minimum requirement between 30 Sep 14 – 31 Jan 15 will be given DOS to match the 6-yr date
VSP is 1.25X full separation pay rate (see PSDM for full explanation on how pay is calculated)
This is not a “first in/first served” program
NOTE FROM THE ACTUAL PSDM: TERA-eligible officers who choose to apply for VSP in lieu of TERA must sign the acknowledgement at the bottom of the Individual Ready Reserve/Statement of Understanding

PSDM 13-130 if you have access. I didn't see FOUO anywhere, so here you go.

From the RIF slides:

ELIGIBILITY:

Captains in 2005 through 2008 year groups; Majors in 1997 through 1999 and 2001 through 2003 year groups;

On promotion list prior to 16 Jun 14 are ineligible

Less than 1 year TIG as of 31 Jan 15 are ineligible

From the VSP slides:

ELIGIBILITY:

Officers eligible to meet the RIF Board (would this be an "OR" or an "AND"????)

Officers w/ 6 or more yrs and less than 15 yrs of service as of 31 Jan 15

Application period is 14 Jan to 1 May 14

I tried accessing the PSDMs but the latest one that I saw was 13-128. I wonder if they already rescinded it to change the rules.

On a serious note, how do you guys read the second line on the VSP eligibility? I am a 04 year group Major select pinning on 1 Mar (at the current rate). I will be ineligible for the RIF. The VSP states that if you are RIF eligible than you are VSP eligible. It also lists the second row of data stating between 6 and 15 years are eligible. I like to think this means I would qualify. I'm sure there are many of us in this boat that want to VSP if eligible. How do you guys read this?

School me on some knowledge...what is the definition of "year group?"

Date pinned on said rank? EAD? Commissioned? Birthday? Baptized? Bar/Bat Mitzvahed?

Thanks.

There's an asterisk at the top of the charts that says "Year groups are based on TAFCS date"

Edited by Fuzz

I tried accessing the PSDMs but the latest one that I saw was 13-128. I wonder if they already rescinded it to change the rules.

On a serious note, how do you guys read the second line on the VSP eligibility? I am a 04 year group Major select pinning on 1 Mar (at the current rate). I will be ineligible for the RIF. The VSP states that if you are RIF eligible than you are VSP eligible. It also lists the second row of data stating between 6 and 15 years are eligible. I like to think this means I would qualify. I'm sure there are many of us in this boat that want to VSP if eligible. How do you guys read this?

I know some people that are passed over in the '04 year group that are probably wondering the same thing.

So if I'm reading these tea leaves correctly, 11F's from the '97 year group are not eligible for voluntary force management programs from the chart posted earlier due to being in undermanned AFSCs. However, Majors from the '97 year group are eligible to be RIF'ed. Has anyone seen any other information that those undermanned AFSCs will be opened up for the RIF board? It doesn't make sense that you can't use a voluntary force management program, TERA, VSP, etc, but can be RIF'd (also after being selectively continued a year and a half ago). I know I just answered my own question there, but c'mon man. If this is true, this is like the early '90's where Big Blue RIF'd folks that had previously been selectively continued. Oh well, Merry Christmas!

I'm on leave and my CAC reader is TU, so I'm a little out of the loop. If I'm reading that chart right, a 2009 11S isn't eligible for any voluntary program, so we shouldn't be under any nonvoluntary program either right? Then if any AFSC is involved, it will be further broken down so H model gunships might get hit, but whiskeys get left alone, etc right?

Personally I'm more curious to see how big blue handles the next round of announcements. A red tag in your locker that means you died and went to the civilian side? Finance "fixing the glitch" and letting everything resolve itself? Maybe the dean notifying the local draft board that we're eligible for 'nam. So many choices!

Edited by pintail21

I'm on leave and my CAC reader is TU, so I'm a little out of the loop. If I'm reading that chart right, a 2009 11S isn't eligible for any voluntary program, so we shouldn't be under any nonvoluntary program either right? Then if any AFSC is involved, it will be further broken down so H model gunships might get hit, but whiskeys get left alone, etc right?

Personally I'm more curious to see how big blue handles the next round of announcements. A red tag in your locker that means you died and went to the civilian side? Finance "fixing the glitch" and letting everything resolve itself? Maybe the dean notifying the local draft board that we're eligible for 'nam. So many choices!

pretty sure you are eligible to be force shaped

Reverse promotion board.

1. A form will be filled out with either a do not retain, retain or definitely retain rating. Last time the cutoff was 75% definitely retain. So unless you are in the bottom 25 percent you are probably good to go. The form itself will be the best of your OPRs

2. Your OSB. Or officer selection brief. Contains a snapshot of your career. Log on to the vMPF and look at your DVB or AMS and check out your SURF... Masters y/no PME y/no etc.

3. All of your OPRS and any negative information included on your record. If you failed a PFT and your rater wanted your LOR in your record then it will be included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Records will be scored like a promotion board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging by the profile of those I've known get rif'd the last time, any kind of uif in your record, or current personality clash with your current cc, and you're prob right fucked. On the plus side, getting RIF'd could be the best thing to happen for your personal life, as I've seen a RIF guy going from getting the pink slip to turning around and scoring an AGR gig and receive the pilot bonus three years ahead of his normal eligibility year, which also means he gets to keep his invol sep pay in retirement. Talk about #winning #FuckBlue.

For those with the motivation, provided they're good dudes and they're getting the boot for wrong place wrong time type actions by unfavorable cc's, the ARC is waiting to absorb them so they can end up where they probably were going to be much more vocationally happy in the first place. Same goes for those looking for airline jobs, the ARC network is better than active duty IMO.

Merry Christmas and remember, if you do everything with the honest internalization that everything ends, life is a hell of a lot more liberating.

• Upvote 1

Anyone thinking of writing a "do not retain me" letter to the various boards? Knew a handful of non-DUI/UIF/LOR/PFT Failure/Sexual Assault/insert-flavor-of-the-moment-here types who did so on the last clusterfuck in 2011. Seemed to work out well for them.

Anyone thinking of writing a "do not retain me" letter to the various boards? Knew a handful of non-DUI/UIF/LOR/PFT Failure/Sexual Assault/insert-flavor-of-the-moment-here types who did so on the last cluster###### in 2011. Seemed to work out well for them.

I'm pretty much sold on this. Does anyone have a good template/format for this letter?