FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

Never seen this type action before. Legal or not?"Airmen eligible to retire may also be vulnerable to DOS rollback separation, Garcia said.""Retirement is not automatic. If you are eligible to retire and identified for DOS rollback, you must submit a retirement application by Jan. 31, 2014, for the May 1 or earlier retirement. If you do not, you will be separated instead, and will not receive retirement benefits," he explained.http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467760/dos-rollback-included-in-fy14-force-management.aspx

Those eligible under the DOS roll-back are those who declined an ADSC associated with PCS or retraining (that's the 3D/3E reenlist net code crap). I don't think many of those (of the 90 airmen identified) are even retirement eligible. If an airman is retirement eligible and turns down a PCS, finding the retirement tab on the AFPC website is usually the next step. I think this is a non-issue.

Never seen this type action before. Legal or not?

"Airmen eligible to retire may also be vulnerable to DOS rollback separation, Garcia said."

"Retirement is not automatic. If you are eligible to retire and identified for DOS rollback, you must submit a retirement application by Jan. 31, 2014, for the May 1 or earlier retirement. If you do not, you will be separated instead, and will not receive retirement benefits," he explained.

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467760/dos-rollback-included-in-fy14-force-management.aspx

Retirement for the Enlisted force is not the same as officers. The way it was explained to me is they have to apply for retirement versus submitting for retirement. Never looked it up to check but seemed to be semantics to me...

From what I saw the ESERBs can retire 30% of the officers in each grade in each compcat. It sounded like enlisted time was going to be included in that calculation, so your capts/jr majs with a boatload of enlisted time could get shafted.

I wouldn't say shafted, early retirement is not a bad thing.

I heard afsc's released on the 19th through rumor mill. Merry Christmas...

Would be nice to know at least.

Has anyone been through this before and know what they're looking for? Does having your bach+, masters, SOS in-correspondence, or any of that kind of stuff make a difference?

Has anyone been through this before and know what they're looking for? Does having your bach+, masters, SOS in-correspondence, or any of that kind of stuff make a difference?

Doing your fucking job well makes a difference. As to the rest...it depends.

• Upvote 2

Doing your fucking job well makes a difference. As to the rest...it depends.

If you failed a PT Test in the past 3-4 years for whatever reason I'd start sending out those resumes now. So they realized they screwed up after booting out the 157 a few years back... are the guys who were offered continuation in the few years since then screwed now? I don't know what would be worse, getting the boot at 14-15 years by not being offered continuation or actually being offered continuation and accepting only to get the boot at 17+ yrs (unless they were offered early retirement).

If you failed a PT Test in the past 3-4 years for whatever reason I'd start sending out those resumes now. So they realized they screwed up after booting out the 157 a few years back... are the guys who were offered continuation in the few years since then screwed now? I don't know what would be worse, getting the boot at 14-15 years by not being offered continuation or actually being offered continuation and accepting only to get the boot at 17+ yrs (unless they were offered early retirement).

So are they publishing any sort of other criteria?

So are they publishing any sort of other criteria?

I just spoke to the Personnel Chief for the Air Force for my entire Staff Agency (we're joint) and she said she is getting tons of calls from Commanders/supervisors, but she has no clue as to what is coming other than what everyone else has read in the original release. She is quite connected on the personnel side and said the most info she can get is that based on the programs they are looking at approx 90% of the entire AF is potentially eligible for at least one of these Force Shaping measures if they implement all of the ones on the original release. In just the 5 min conversation I could tell she was pretty frustrated with the lack of info coming down as well as the timing (I think she is getting lots of "shoot the messenger" from Generals and SES types). She had heard the same thing that has been posted here that there was supposed to be some more info released tomorrow, but said that was only through friends at AFPC (i.e. nothing official). Doing it on the Thurs before lots of people start Christmas leave is not only like the late Friday afternoon White House press dump (hoping nobody will pay attention to the bad news), but it essentially cuts out two weeks for some of the expected short suspenses on whatever the first programs will be. Not that this should be surprising, but she said that she's been telling Commanders that if they have anyone with a referral EPR/OPR in their record (mentioned failed PT tests) that they would be low hanging fruit. I've been able to get some inside baseball on personnel stuff from her in the past and she is a pretty straight shooter, so if she says she doesn't have a clue as to what is coming then I think we are in for quite the roller coaster ride in the next month or two.

It is kind of late in the game to be worrying about box-checking before the RIF board. And it is disappointing to see a "military" service that values box-checking over actual performance (as discussed in other threads). If the Air Force wants to separate me because I didn't check all the boxes then so be it, I have better things to do than worry checking the latest boxes and meeting the RIF board year after year (FY14, FY15...).

I should care more about surviving the boards but it is depressing to imagine that you will be surrounded by a even smaller group of advanced box-checkers competing to make it to that 20-year retirement and/or the much coveted O-6 slot. The Hunger Game references are spot-on...

What happens to voluntary separation pay (the actual money) if a person is picked up by a Guard or Reserve unit after separating? Do you get to keep the money or does the AF take it back?

What are some tricks for keeping the tax bill low? For instance, could the VSP push someone out of Roth IRA eligibility?

How much money will I be able to contribute to my 401(k) and IRA in 2014?

The income limits determining who can contribute to Roth IRAs are increasing very slightly. You can contribute to a Roth IRA in 2014 only if your adjusted gross income is less than $129,000 if single or $191,000 if married filing jointly. (The amount that you can contribute starts to decline -- or phase out -- for singles earning more than $114,000 and couples earning more than $181,000.)

What happens to voluntary separation pay (the actual money) if a person is picked up by a Guard or Reserve unit after separating? Do you get to keep the money or does the AF take it back?

No, it has to be paid back before you can join any other guard/reserve unit.

And another slap in the face if you decide you're done with the military period that I heard about when I had to do TAP two years ago; if you take any separation money from the military you aren't eligible to receive most of your VA benefits until it's paid back (GI BILL and VA loans not included).

Your tax/IRA questions are very interesting and something I think a lot of us will be scrambling to figure out.

No, it has to be paid back before you can join any other guard/reserve unit.

And another slap in the face if you decide you're done with the military period that I heard about when I had to do TAP two years ago; if you take any separation money from the military you aren't eligible to receive most of your VA benefits until it's paid back (GI BILL and VA loans not included).

Your tax/IRA questions are very interesting and something I think a lot of us will be scrambling to figure out.

Are you sure about that? I had several buds who took the VSP back in 2006 (?) and went straight into the Reserves. They still got the money, but if IIRC they said if they eventually earned a retirement in the Reserves the AF had the option of recouping the VSP cash. I may be talking completely out of my ass on that one, but I'm sure there are a few from that year on here that could confirm or deny.

Are you sure about that? I had several buds who took the VSP back in 2006 (?) and went straight into the Reserves. They still got the money, but if IIRC they said if they eventually earned a retirement in the Reserves the AF had the option of recouping the VSP cash. I may be talking completely out of my ass on that one, but I'm sure there are a few from that year on here that could confirm or deny.

I think you're that it doesn't have to be paid back immediately but I am 99% sure it has to be paid back before you collect a retirement. I do know that when I tried to join the reserves in 2011 i signed a paper that said I was not planning on accepting any sort of separation pay on my exit from active duty.

What are some tricks for keeping the tax bill low? For instance, could the VSP push someone out of Roth IRA eligibility?

How much money will I be able to contribute to my 401(k) and IRA in 2014?

The income limits determining who can contribute to Roth IRAs are increasing very slightly. You can contribute to a Roth IRA in 2014 only if your adjusted gross income is less than $129,000 if single or $191,000 if married filing jointly. (The amount that you can contribute starts to decline -- or phase out -- for singles earning more than $114,000 and couples earning more than $181,000.)

Here is what someone sent me...

1) If you take the VSP and continue in Reserves

- pay back is at your final retirement (60 years old if you stay as a part

time reservist) spread over 4 years at 25% pre-tax value of original amount

per year

- you get "present value" of post-taxed amount upfront over at least 2

decades time (if you're 30, that would be 30 years time before you payback)

- payback is at same amount but "future value" is likely to be less valuable

- you get the benefit of the VSP AND continued service

- you get a retirement check after 60 that includes your active duty service

years/points (minus the 4 yrs of 25% pay back)

Also see AFI 36-2005 and search for VSI