FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

1,900? Our WG/CC briefed we're looking to cut 5,000 officers and 20,000 enlisted.

I certainly don't have any reliable information. Like everyone else, I only know what I read in the portal, CSAF memos, and the AF Times and I try to read the tea leaves as best able.

If I read the initial CSAF guidance correctly, he conveyed that due to the budgetary unpleasantness, we MAY have to draw drown 25K positions over the course of FIVE years.

The AF Times subsequently reported that based on our expected approved budget, we would have to reduce our end strength by 1,900 positions over the next FY, but that certainly isn't finalized.

"Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Welsh has repeatedly warned that sequestration, if left in place, could force the service to cut roughly 25,000 total force airmen over the next five years. Grosso could not say exactly how many airmen the Air Force plans to cut under the 2014 force reductions because a final budget has not been passed for the year, but said the number could be in the thousands. The latest fiscal 2014 budget deal — if it passes — would leave the Air Force with an end strength of nearly 1,900 fewer billets than it had in fiscal 2013, Grosso said. The resulting end strength of 327,600 would match the administration’s proposed 2014 budget."

Edited by DUNBAR

I just got the TERA II info from my boss, looks like essentially the same program they offered in the summer with he exception that anyone with 19 years can apply to retire regardless of AFSC.

It says to search 25484 on mypers for the AFSC overage/eligibility matrix but I'm not seeing anything new. Anybody have any any other way to find this matrix? I'm assuming the overages are an AFPC product that's not too hard to find but I'm having no luck.

For instance, could the VSP push someone out of Roth IRA eligibility?

Yes & no. If the VSP (or any income source) pushes you above the limits, you cannot contribute to a Roth. However, make a contribution to a traditional IRA, then convert it to a Roth.

Back door way of making Roth "contributions" has been in place since 2009 (?) or so....

They will know who wants to get out and then they will RIF you for less money. Same with 15-year TERA....they'll deny you the 15 year retirement and VSP after you show your cards, and then RIF you for less money. It is all about cost savings...

Or they won't RIF you either, despite you asking them to. Then, they won't promote you twice, after which they'll offer you continuation which you will turn down, and then you're gone and they don't pay you a dime. Could be a bad deal or it could be the best (Air Force related) thing that ever happened to you.

Edited by TAMInated

So VSP payment has to be repaid eventually through retirement pay if you jump to guard/reserve, what about RIF payments? I would hope if you are involuntarily separated they would not make you pay back the compensation for choosing to join a reserve component.

I'm one of the 157 that got booted a couple of years back and got a check for $131k (actually around $96k after taxes) as I was shown the door. When I retire from the Guard there is a formula that will reduce my retirement pay for the first 6-9 years until that $131k is "paid back". Works out that I'll only get a around 50% of my retirement pay during those years. Think of VSP and ISP as interest free, up front loans from your future retirement pay, should you go on to achieve a military retirement. Sort of like those 2 month basic pay loans you got as LTs PSCing into your first assignments that you had to "pay" back over the next year.

I paid off our cars and stashed away the majority of my ISP. Between a years worth of Maj pay, my wife's salary, and the ISP, I had a federal tax bill of over $60k for 2011. I had to re-characterize my Roth IRAs into Traditional IRAs before I filed taxes.

Did I read that right? You paid over $60,000 in taxes in 2011? Yikes.

Yes, that's right, $60k+. For one year in my life I lived beyond what Obama considers rich ($250k+ income).

Which you then (reference ) were able to convert back to a Roth (assuming you prefer the Roth for your own situation...).

I didn't/haven't done this. Jughead, I sent you an IM. I'm a former Offutt guy.

I didn't/haven't done this.

No deadline* to do so; you will pay tax on any gain, but otherwise it's just a paperwork exercise. If your original contribution was deductible (unlikely, given the situation you describe), you'll pay tax on that, too.

*Unless the law gets changed. In any case, if a Roth is what you want, chances are "sooner" is better than "later"....

As far as I know, the RIF separation dates are 31 Dec, which leads me to believe the payment comes after that, which hits you in the 2015 tax year. So doing the timing right, one could theoretically jump to an airline/guard gig, and ride out most of 2015 on low-paying probation with a similar tax bill as previous years.

Or hell, use the money to start a business and cook the books so that you operated at a loss. Point is, you've got a lot more leeway getting it in 2015 vs 2014.

Which you then (reference ) were able to convert back to a Roth (assuming you prefer the Roth for your own situation...).

This can be very expensive. Be aware if you do this that money will be considered taxable income for the year. Not only will you pay taxes on the balance and any gains, if you are near a cut-off that extra "income" can bump you up into a higher tax bracket for the year. Make sure you run all the numbers for deciding to make the switch.

This can be very expensive. Be aware if you do this that money will be considered taxable income for the year. Not only will you pay taxes on the balance and any gains, if you are near a cut-off that extra "income" can bump you up into a higher tax bracket for the year. Make sure you run all the numbers for deciding to make the switch.

It's remarkable the DOD doesn't offer the option to take it as 2 or 3 payments across several years or to simply defer it for tax purposes.

Slight delay from the 19th release date:

Leaders,

Request widest distribution to your military members, their supervisory chains, and squadron leadership.

Last evening, AFPC notified installations that the release of TERA eligibility rosters and the FY14 Expanded Force Management Matrix will be delayed at least 24 hours and possibly to an even later date, due to recent modifications to the TERA matrix. In addition, this will also delay the associated individual email notifications to eligible Airmen.

For fucks sake, can't these clowns get anything right?

My view is that all these policies won't be needed with the emerging budget deal and will all be cancelled by the fall. It will take AF/A1 six months to figure this out. Countless dudes will show their hands through VSP or TERA applications before the AF turns the wheel hard the other direction. It's like the Air Force's human resources system is run by a pecking pigeon inside a German missile.,.

All the stuff on myPers says to reference some kind of matrix, which as was pointed out, is not released yet. Thanks myPers, I'll get right on looking at that non-existent thing to potentially determine the future of my career!

How hard could it be:

matrix.gif

edit to add: who am I kidding, no way 11S or 12S will be eligible...

Edited by nsplayr

My view is that all these policies won't be needed with the emerging budget deal and will all be cancelled by the fall. It will take AF/A1 six months to figure this out. Countless dudes will show their hands through VSP or TERA applications before the AF turns the wheel hard the other direction. It's like the Air Force's human resources system is run by a pecking pigeon inside a German missile.,.

1) I'm willing to bet a bottle of scotch that the force shaping goes through on some level even with the recent budget deal as we were told today that Gen Welch is doing the Force Management in order for the force to be ready for FY2023 (however the verbiage the went).

2) It was specifically said today (after someone asked the specific question) at the base Force Management mass brief that the Air Force will not necessarily accept all VSP applicants for a specific AFSC/year group in order to not have a RIF for that specific AFSC/year group. Translation: If the Air Force gets 7 VSP applicants for 5 required eduction cuts for a certain AFSC/year group and all 7 are guys that the AF doesn't want to let go, then the AF have the option of dealer's choice, ie--they can disapprove all 7 and elect to go to a later RIF to get the kind of guys they want out of the Air Force in that specific AFSC/year group.

The Air Force...where the points don't matter and they get to change the rules as they go.

1) I'm willing to bet a bottle of scotch that the force shaping goes through on some level even with the recent budget deal as we were told today that Gen Welch is doing the Force Management in order for the force to be ready for FY2023 (however the verbiage the went).

2) It was specifically said today (after someone asked the specific question) at the base Force Management mass brief that the Air Force will not necessarily accept all VSP applicants for a specific AFSC/year group in order to not have a RIF for that specific AFSC/year group. Translation: If the Air Force gets 7 VSP applicants for 5 required eduction cuts for a certain AFSC/year group and all 7 are guys that the AF doesn't want to let go, then the AF have the option of dealer's choice, ie--they can disapprove all 7 and elect to go to a later RIF to get the kind of guys they want out of the Air Force in that specific AFSC/year group.

The Air Force...where the points don't matter and they get to change the rules as they go.

True...while I can't find anything specifically saying that VSP is a required first step (legality) in reducing forces, it seems best to think of it that way.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title10/pdf/USCODE-2011-title10-subtitleA-partII-chap59-sec1175a.pdf --for anyone interested, here is the law of the land. Worth getting familiar with a few things from title 10 these days IMO.