FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

^^ What he said

That's what she said.

Edit: okay, so upon further review...there is evidence TrunkMonkey is a dude. However, much like mIRC, I just assume you are all smokin' hot chicks. It makes talking to you easier when you're being stupid. ...and by stupid I mean not agreeing with me or not immediately giving me what I want.

What he said...

Bendy

Edited by Bender

Saw this running around online:

Senior Leaders,

In an attempt to provide more direct comms, I will send a weekly update on our Force Management programs. The idea will be to provide a progress report and ground truth on any ongoing rumors that are floating through the force. Similar information is being provided to your A1s and your FSS/CCs.

Progress: AFPC has been working hard this week on processing TERA and VSP applications. As voluntary applications are approved, involuntary targets are reduced and categories of Airmen become ineligible for the involuntary boards - that's a good news story. So far we've already closed over 100 grade/AFSC combinations from the original matrices posted back in January. As part of our normal battle rhythm and plan, we will be updating the matrices at least every other week. This will allow us to show progress and provide Airmen with up-to-date information - again a good news story. This may mean some supervisors and commanders have prepared Retention Forms on Airmen who won't end up meeting a board. Rather than viewing it as unnecessary work, this is again a better situation than having to involuntarily separate Airmen. As categories close, AFPC will also provide updated eligibility rosters to Wings and other units so they can adjust work on retention forms. Here's our progress to date:

Officer VSP to date:

Processed applications: 936
Ineligible applications: 297 (Airmen applied but their AFSC or year group
was not eligible)
Approved applications: 275
Disapproved: 64 (Airmen was eligible when the applied, but disapproved based on receiving enough volunteers in the year group and AFSC)

Remaining applications: 300

* Once a category is closed under any program, Airmen in those year groups and AFSCs are removed from the involuntary boards.

AFPC is processing the remaining officers applications this week and will continue to accept applications through 1 May. This now includes our deployed Airmen who were previously rendered ineligible. We've fixed that issue and word is going out through a revised PSDM next week. This means deployed Airmen have an opportunity to apply for voluntary opportunities, regardless of their DEROS. We now simply adjust their retirement/separation date based on when they come home vice trying to force them into a specific date.

Enlisted VSP to date:

Processed applications: 6,488
Ineligible applications: 1,093
Approved applications: 2,471
Disapproved: 806
Remaining applications: 2,118
AFPC is processing the remaining enlisted applications this week and will continue to accept applications through 1 May.

Officer TERA to date:

Processed applications: 1,032
Ineligible applications: 352
Approved applications: 323
Disapproved: 40
Remaining applications: 317
AFPC is processing the remaining applications. The initial TERA window closed on 26 March.

Enlisted TERA to date:

Processed applications: 4,077
Ineligible applications: 1,277
Approved applications: 2,132
Disapproved: 298
Remaining applications: 370
AFPC is processing the remaining applications. The initial TERA window closed on 26 March.

ADDITIONAL TERA WINDOW:

As previously discussed, we are opening a new TERA window (15 Apr - 13 May) to ensure our deployed Airmen and those on short tours have an opportunity to apply for TERA along with officers who require an active duty service commitment waivers not previously authorized. This primarily includes some rated officers and health professions, but also includes some waivers for education commitments associated with AFIT and EWI as examples.

BLOG/Rumor updates:

Revoked Applications:

You probably read about AFPC revoking approved TERA applications after Airmen were notified. This happened in 19 cases (of the 5,000+ applications) where Airmen were erroneously approved in a category for which they were not eligible or where we already met the quota -- in almost all of these situations, the approval notification to disapproval notification was less than 48 hours. To honor the original commitment, we've gone back out to each of these Airmen and their commanders and provided the option to continue on with the previously approved retirement, or remain on active duty since they were not eligible for involuntary programs anyway. It's been a mixed bag with about half choosing to stay and half choosing to go. Bottom line: we made it right and gave them an option. In our PA release, we highlighted that one error is too many in the people business, but it's unrealistic to think we'll never have human error given the complex and dynamic nature of the programs. So when we find one or are alerted to one through the chain of command, we'll make it right.

Retirement Approval Adjustment:

Finally, you may have seen some traffic on social media regarding 300 officers who were approved for TERA who then had their retirement orders rejected. Rest assured, there are no changes to the approvals, and all those members were contacted to ensure they understood they were still approved. Unfortunately, due to some technical limitations within the personnel data system, automated adjustments had to be made to reload some officers for early retirements (the system wanted to adjust their date to 20 years). This has been fixed.

Going Forward:

We are still on track to start the first involuntary board in May, the Quality Force Review Board (QFRB). This board will look at those Airmen (E1-E8) with negative quality force indicators to determine whether they should be retained. This coincides with our emphasis on quality and wanting to ensure we have exhausted these pools before we have to make the harder choices on separating high performing Airmen in the June and July retention boards. We appreciate your support as we continue to navigate through these challenging Force Management programs. We'll continue to provide updates on our progress and are publishing updates to the field on a weekly basis. Please continue to provide feedback and concerns so we can address them appropriately.

V/R

Sam

Lt Gen Sam Cox
USAF A-1

Edited by nsplayr

Officer VSP to date:

was not eligible)
Disapproved: 64 (Airmen was eligible when the applied, but disapproved based on receiving enough volunteers in the year group and AFSC)

* Once a category is closed under any program, Airmen in those year groups and AFSCs are removed from the involuntary boards.

Analysis:

936-297-275=364 applications processed but not approved or disapproved. Anybody know how that works?

64 disapproved? I'm pretty sure there were more than 64 kicked back for UPT ADSC. I know of at least 5.

Only 300 left to process? Was this published prior to the UPT ADSC waiver and the resultant reapplications?

How did a handful of UPT waivers get approved and now the rest are on hold 'til the first?

Obligatory snark:

I hope A1 doesn't get saturated after the 1st...since they're only going to have 7 days, per this from MyPers:

• Application window closes 1 May 2014
  • Applications will be approved/disapproved approximately monthly after window opens and no later than 7 May 2014
Edited by VSP or 365

AFPC is processing the remaining officers applications this week and will continue to accept applications through 1 May

I love how this is in direct contrast to the new 14-08 that says they will not process until after 1 May. Another example of the right hand not talking to the left at AFPC. The way this reads, I get the feeling that it was either written in a vacuum OR well before 14-08 was revised.

-SH

Saw this running around online:

Every other week, eh? So, when can we expect some new numbers on overages by AFSC and year group?

Officer VSP to date:

was not eligible)

Analysis:

936-297-275=364 applications processed but not approved or disapproved. Anybody know how that works?

64 disapproved? I'm pretty sure there were more than 64 kicked back for UPT ADSC. I know of at least 5.

Only 300 left to process? Was this published prior to the UPT ADSC waiver and the resultant reapplications?

How did a handful of UPT waivers get approved and now the rest are on hold 'til the first?

Obligatory snark:

I hope A1 doesn't get saturated after the 1st...since they're only going to have 7 days, per this from MyPers:

• Application window closes 1 May 2014
  • Applications will be approved/disapproved approximately monthly after window opens and no later than 7 May 2014

They can always move the deadline. Again.

TERA Phase III window is open today...must apply via vMPF. Anyone care to guess the status of vMPF?

Again, YCMTSU!!!!

EDIT: As of 1345Z vMPF is up and running again.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Edited by CosmoPilot

Fellow Exec in the office just got an email regarding his VSP. Separations office requested he change his DOS to a date that fell after his ADSC for advanced flying training training. If he was willing to do so, it would be approved. If not, his application would "remain open and be processed after 1 May to see where it falls with other applications that need ADSC waivers."

Fellow Exec in the office just got an email regarding his VSP. Separations office requested he change his DOS to a date that fell after his ADSC for advanced flying training training. If he was willing to do so, it would be approved. If not, his application would "remain open and be processed after 1 May to see where it falls with other applications that need ADSC waivers."

Sorry, forgot the required info:

12S

Refer to above post regarding ADSC

SQ/CC and WG/CC approved

YGBSM! Why are they opening another TERA/VSP window, when they haven't even finished processing the first round??? How do they even know they'll need an additional window until they complete all the current applications...

113 - days since release of the first FY14 Force Management PSDM

68 - days since the VSP application window opened

15 - MORE days until they'll even look at the remaining applications, who have ADSC's, which are now waiverable…I hope this is worth the wait, prolly should have just applied for PC...

Edited by Charlie17Chick
  • Upvote 1

2008 11M... Previously was "referred to BPO" and just had movement on my app. Status is now "Referred to AFPC BPO Separations Supervisory Review" which is interesting since they claim they aren't processing until May 1. Possibly just getting all the apps to the last possible step? I have no idea. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YGBSM! Why are they opening another TERA/VSP window, when they haven't even finished processing the first round??? How do they even know they'll need an additional window until they complete all the current applications...

113 - days since release of the first FY14 Force Management PSDM

68 - days since the VSP application window opened

15 - MORE days until they'll even look at the remaining applications, who have ADSC's, which are now waiverable…I hope this is worth the wait, prolly should have just applied for PC...

You'd think that all of our applications would have been ready for approval, pending the waiver. Then, one click and VSP approved....

Any other words on those folks who apparently already got approved with UPT ADSCs? If those are real, what reason is there to wait til 1 May on the rest?

You'd think that all of our applications would have been ready for approval, pending the waiver. Then, one click and VSP approved....

Any other words on those folks who apparently already got approved with UPT ADSCs? If those are real, what reason is there to wait til 1 May on the rest?

I have yet to hear directly from a confirmed pilot who received an ADSC waiver in person or on this forum

This leads me to a question for Lt Gen Cox: Why are they waiting until after 1 May to process 2004-2008 11X applications? EVERY pilot in that time frame is going to have an ADSC from UPT. That would make it impossible to meet their force reeducation goals without waving an ADSC. I repeat, NO PILOT from 2004-2008 can be released without an ADSC wavier. So why make us wait even longer, continue to string our families along, impact our planning for military careers as well as potential civilian careers for a situation that isn’t going to occur.

02-03 11X’s, different story. Some will have ADSCs, some will not. But there is no reason why they can’t process 2004-2008.

I am a 2006 11M.

Did AFPC say that they wanted to zero out each year group in each AFSC? It really looks to me like they may look for a few more people in year groups that don't have ADSCs to get to the overall numbers. This would allow them to take an overage in some year groups that do have an ADSC. I could be wrong but it looks they are setting up for that scenario. I certainly hope I am wrong.

Edited by Herk Driver

Did AFPC say that they wanted to zero out each year group in each AFSC? It really looks to me like they may look for a few more people in year groups that don't have ADSCs to get to the overall numbers. This would allow them to take an overage in some year groups that do have an ADSC. I could be wrong but it looks they are setting up for that scenario. I certainly hope I am wrong.

That's what it seems like to me. I just can't figure why they would eliminate higher numbers from the more experienced guys in their pilot force. You'd think they would want to match the overages they identified to keep from gutting the experience level.

Either way, I hear they are hurting for T-6 IPs and now they may create a shortage in the 11M world. It may mean good news for RPA guys like me trying to make it back into an airplane if VSP doesn't work out. But I'm sure big blue will find a way to crush my dreams.

That's what it seems like to me. I just can't figure why they would eliminate higher numbers from the more experienced guys in their pilot force. You'd think they would want to match the overages they identified to keep from gutting the experience level.

Either way, I hear they are hurting for T-6 IPs and now they may create a shortage in the 11M world. It may mean good news for RPA guys like me trying to make it back into an airplane if VSP doesn't work out. But I'm sure big blue will find a way to crush my dreams.

Hmmm. Alpha tour to white jet tour. That'd really "broaden" my career.

I spoke directly with the 2007 c17 IP in my squadron that got vsp a week or so ago. He was the first and only vsp approved I have heard of for those with a upt adsc (he has five years). He submitted it in the initial wave and did not get it sent back.