FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

Except VSP and TERA are separate offices. Apparently TERA only has like 4 people working there (retirements) and the added workload is hugely delaying regular retirements. TFSC said they are getting almost as many calls from angry normal retirements pulled into the swirling TERA cesspool as TERA hopefuls looking to get released from this prison on planet bullshit.

According to what AFPC released, 15 Apr-3 May. No word on what the retirement date will be set at. Normally it's supposed to be at least 120 days, hence the previous 1 Apr notification deadline for a 1 Aug retirement date. It's maddening that they've only notified 66 officers out of around 600 eligible and they are opening a new round next week. Still, I think TERA is the best deal in the AF right now.

Where is the AFPC release about 15 April found?

I tried to TERA 1 minute after the window opened. Due to my ACP, they said no. I argued via myPERS because the original PSDM wasn't specific and stated any unearned portion of retention bonuses must be recouped. AFPC escalated my case to the GS1000 making the decisions (policy section) and they still said no. The AF was kind enough to update the PSDM a few days later. It's so nice having 18 revisions of the PSDMs during the application window.

Anyways, I'm "now" eligible for round 2 of TERA but myPERS didn't have anything new posted as of 3:30pm EST.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Edited by CosmoPilot

Absolutely no chance that I would roll those dice! Training date at the end of the month, so I think this one has been turned down a number of times already... Sorry to the next person down the list, hope they don't have an ADSC that prevents them from declining.

My Sq/CC and another one both called different functionals at AFPC who didn't know whether 3-day opting would cause a member to be VSP ineligible. I wish I could say I was surprised.

So check this out, only way to successfully 3-day is apply for separation and have an approval number and date established when you turn in the denial paperwork. Just so happens that this is the same app in vMPF where you apply for VSP and we've all highlighted that you can only apply for one program at a time. My CC called Chief of Separations Branch today who didn't know the answer and said he would get back to him, which of course he did not.

I know somewhere in this process over the next two days someone at AFPC or in an MPF-type career field will tell me that I have to pull my VSP app to apply for Separation in Lieu of and I will "kindly" tell them how completely unacceptable that is.

Anyone know the date that PSDM 13-130 was rescinded? I ask because in that original PSDM where it talked about separations whether voluntary or involuntary, it said that the GI Bill transfer ADSC and the education assistance funds ADSC would be considered fullfilled if approved for separation (attachment 1 paragraphs 11 and 12 I think). Now we've got a new ADSC waivers table that is saying that if you haven't fulfilled the GI Bill transfer ADSC, you can't transfer it anymore (Note 3). It also says it'll recoup tuition assistance, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the transfer benefit which could be worth more than the VSP payout. For example if junior goes to school in NYC, the housing alone would get you close to $150K with today's numbers.

Anyone know the date that PSDM 13-130 was rescinded? I ask because in that original PSDM where it talked about separations whether voluntary or involuntary, it said that the GI Bill transfer ADSC and the education assistance funds ADSC would be considered fullfilled if approved for separation (attachment 1 paragraphs 11 and 12 I think). Now we've got a new ADSC waivers table that is saying that if you haven't fulfilled the GI Bill transfer ADSC, you can't transfer it anymore (Note 3). It also says it'll recoup tuition assistance, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the transfer benefit which could be worth more than the VSP payout. For example if junior goes to school in NYC, the housing alone would get you close to $150K with today's numbers.

I would be worried about that too, except for the last sentence on Note 3 "This note does not apply to officers approved for VSP or TERA." That tells me VSP/TERA still keep their benefits. It looks like to me they are referring to the LADSC Waiver program.

I think PSDM 13-130 was rescinded on 14 Feb, because I submitted my VSP app on 13 Feb and was pissed when the rules and timeline changed the next day.

ALCON,

Just had a VSP status change to "referred to AFPC off voluntary separation pay"

Anyone know what that means?

2005 11M (Curently T-6 IP)

Both Sq/Wg CC's approved

Was it BPO before? No idea. Congrats?

Edited by MostlyDeployed

Yes... I was part of the group that was denied and told to reapply. Since I reapplied, it has been with BPO until 6 to 9 minutes ago when it changed to the current status. It would be nice if they listed the steps somewhere...

Yes... I was part of the group that was denied and told to reapply. Since I reapplied, it has been with BPO until 6 to 9 minutes ago when it changed to the current status. It would be nice if they listed the steps somewhere...

are you looking in CMS or vMPF?

CMS (through vMPF)

CMS (through vMPF)

I think they are the same. It will say something like "referred to af vsp office" or something like that in cms, but when you click view my application under voluntary separation it will say "referred to bpo"....others can chime in here, but that has been what people are reporting so far during this debacle.

I think they are the same. It will say something like "referred to af vsp office" or something like that in cms, but when you click view my application under voluntary separation it will say "referred to bpo"....others can chime in here, but that has been what people are reporting so far during this debacle.

Yea, that's correct, it just means your base sent it to AFPC and now they'll sit on it. Good luck!

So check this out, only way to successfully 3-day is apply for separation and have an approval number and date established when you turn in the denial paperwork. Just so happens that this is the same app in vMPF where you apply for VSP and we've all highlighted that you can only apply for one program at a time. My CC called Chief of Separations Branch today who didn't know the answer and said he would get back to him, which of course he did not.

I know somewhere in this process over the next two days someone at AFPC or in an MPF-type career field will tell me that I have to pull my VSP app to apply for Separation in Lieu of and I will "kindly" tell them how completely unacceptable that is.

Yes, I had a somewhat similar situation. You can pull the VSP app to 3 day opt, or take the chance. Mine was a 7 day opt, which I did with MPF but they never told me to do it in vMPF, VSP comes out 3 months later and I apply for that (trying to get earlier). My email in-container start lighting up with "Welcome to base X" and I lose my mind. I call the MPF and ask what the F? They admit to screwing up and tell me I can pull my VSP app to 7 day opt, or, get this, let it ride and if I get denied 7 day opt then. Would have been like a 4 month opt. I'm glad the MPF had a visitor log and I had kept my emails as proof I was trying to do the right thing with the 7 day opt.

Yea, that's correct, it just means your base sent it to AFPC and now they'll sit on it. Good luck!

That's definitely true. Mine has been at "Referred to AFPC OFF Voluntary Separation Pay" for about 5 weeks now. I know some have said there's have been waiting for closer to 2 months. From everything I understand this is the final step before approval/disapproval, but expect to wait some more. So much for processing in "monthly batches"

I think PSDM 13-130 was rescinded on 14 Feb, because I submitted my VSP app on 13 Feb and was pissed when the rules and timeline changed the next day.

I think I'm going to save and print my myPers incident from a Feb phone call that says "PSDM 14-08 does not apply to you if you are eligible for the RIF. VSP provisions in 13-130 apply to RIF eligible officers." Those are the provision I thought I was applying under, which did not refer to 13-65 for ADSC waivers or recoupment of money for ADSCs. If this was a courtroom, they'd be fooked.

VSP approved today.

11M

No ADSC

Submitted 9 Feb

Just curious...did you initially submit the application 9 Feb or did it get the "Referred to BPO" (or "Referred to AFPC OFF Voluntary Separation Pay") on 9 Feb? I'm trying to get a sense if the time stamp for either of the events has any effect on how fast your application gets processed. My guess is your No ADSC probably played the biggest role since you didn't have to wait for waiver table that came out last week. Congrats.

If the VSP is a manning/budget planning tool. Why do people get approved and paid to leave who have no ADSC? Wouldn't it be cheaper and smarter for the AF to deny a persons VSP who has no commitment since they are most likely getting out anyway? I can't keep up withy he endless changes AFPC makes, but I thought the whole point was to cut ties with those who are under a commitment.

Yes, I had a somewhat similar situation. You can pull the VSP app to 3 day opt, or take the chance. Mine was a 7 day opt, which I did with MPF but they never told me to do it in vMPF, VSP comes out 3 months later and I apply for that (trying to get earlier). My email in-container start lighting up with "Welcome to base X" and I lose my mind. I call the MPF and ask what the F? They admit to screwing up and tell me I can pull my VSP app to 7 day opt, or, get this, let it ride and if I get denied 7 day opt then. Would have been like a 4 month opt. I'm glad the MPF had a visitor log and I had kept my emails as proof I was trying to do the right thing with the 7 day opt.

Just received verification from AFPC. I already have a separation app in system, so no new CMS case required. If I do not get selected for VSP, I will default to DOS criteria established in AFI.

** All apps that required waiver are being held until application window closes on 1 May. They will then be batch processed. ** - directly from AFPC Separations Branch Chief

So, if you have an ADSC that originally excluded you, you can stop checking CMS 10 times a day and just continue to wait..... Sorry it's not "you're getting approved tomorrow" news, but at least it's something official.

From AFPC's standpoint, this allows them to get through all those with no ADSC remaining and then determine if they need to approve any with waivers. The they will approve the people in each yr group with the least amount....

If the VSP is a manning/budget planning tool. Why do people get approved and paid to leave who have no ADSC? Wouldn't it be cheaper and smarter for the AF to deny a persons VSP who has no commitment since they are most likely getting out anyway? I can't keep up withy he endless changes AFPC makes, but I thought the whole point was to cut ties with those who are under a commitment.

This is purely a numbers game. The point is to cut ties with a certain number of people...ADSC or no ADSC.

However, it makes no sense from a planning perspective to only let out those with an ADSC. That leaves you with a bunch of free agents and no idea of their future plans.

• Upvote 1