Webmail (home Outlook email) issues

DFRESH

There is a way to recover your old certificates. However, I am also downrange and those instructions are on my desktop at homestation. Try searching the portal for recovering CAC certificates.

I followed the directions (both with the windows 8 workaround and activex install) and still get this message after entering my pin:

The page cannot be displayed Explanation: There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

Try the following:

• Refresh page: Search for the page again by clicking the Refresh button. The timeout may have occurred due to Internet congestion.
    • Check spelling: Check that you typed the Web page address correctly. The address may have been mistyped.
      • Access from a link: If there is a link to the page you are looking for, try accessing the page from that link.

Technical Information (for support personnel)

• Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. The server denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). Contact the server administrator. (12202)

Unfortunately, this can be an issue on the account provisioning side. Which mail server are you trying to access? If you prefer to keep that info off the forums you can PM me.

There is a way to recover your old certificates. However, I am also downrange and those instructions are on my desktop at homestation. Try searching the portal for recovering CAC certificates.

that didn't work, says my last certificates are revoked.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump. Has anyone been able to get S/MIME (encryption) working with the new webmail? My workcenter does not have NIPR connectivity, so we rely on local ISP for service. I've looked into the options of the new webmail, but haven't found anything. Thanks!

Bump. Has anyone been able to get S/MIME (encryption) working with the new webmail? My workcenter does not have NIPR connectivity, so we rely on local ISP for service. I've looked into the options of the new webmail, but haven't found anything. Thanks!

I've been able to get it to work running IE11 in compatibility mode with the new OWA interface (yellow vice the old blue).

Options> See All Options> Settings> S/MIME (should be across the top [Mail, Calendar, General, Sent Items, Regional, S/MIME])

Stop the madness!!!!!

Stop doing work at home....chase some tail....chase your wife....take your kids to the park!!!

If your base requires some local ISP to do your work and its not working...I guess you get to go home early that day.

Cap-10

• Upvote 3

Stop the madness!!!!!

Stop doing work at home....chase some tail....chase your wife....take your kids to the park!!!

If your base requires some local ISP to do your work and its not working...I guess you get to go home early that day.

Cap-10

This. My old man said the same thing as well, great advice to heed. The wheels aren't going to fall off the train if you don't read emails overnight.

MountainHerc,

Are you keeping up with queep at home while you are downrange....if so, stop it!

Here's my plan that has worked for the last 16.9 years:

1) when getting ready for leave, TDY, deployment, etc, put the ol out of office reply to work.

2) enjoy your time away from the squadron...it will not burn down and the wheels will keep on turning while you are gone...trust me. You are not as important as you think you are. However, you are a unique snowflake---just like everyone else!

3) when you return, open up outlook and delete every email you got while gone....don't spend even a second reading them. If it was that important, that person already found the info they needed or they will write/email/call back at a later date.

BLOB (that's the lesser used Bottom Line On Bottom): concentrate on the mish downrange and stop giving a shit about the squadron running's back home...it will be there when you RTB safety!

Check 6!

Cap-10

4)

• Upvote 1

Webmail is an SA-building tool that lets you keep somewhat track of part of your legitimate duties. Don't let an SA tool distract you from your primary mission (downrange flying, spending time with the fam, etc.), but don't stubbornly refuse to use all the tools that are available to you. The ability to check webmail while TDY, on leave or deployed has been a key enabler to making my life better once returning back to the mothership on several occasions.

I've been on leave for 10 days now, but I've been able to expedite my Palace Chase application because the ISR finally sent me some documents and I happened to check my webmail. IMHO I'd rather get a decision on that sooner rather than later and I'm glad I saw the email the day it was sent. Never once felt like a slave to email since I check on my own time and only if I feel like it. YMMV.

To the OP asking about security cert. issues on OWA, I've had the same issues since being migrated to us.af.mil. Can't read any of my previously sent emails due to S/MIME issues among other problems. Google "military CAC" for lots of good troubleshooting tips. I'm running a mac (OSX Mavericks) and Safari 7.0.1 emulating IE 8.0 so there are a lot of variables as to why it's not working for me. Should be relatively straight forward on a PC running IE natively.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 1

yes, S/MIME is Miscrosoft propietary and only works on 32-bit versions of IE. So S/MIME will never work on a Mac, since Microsoft ended support for the OS X version of IE many many years ago.

MountainHerc,

Are you keeping up with queep at home while you are downrange....if so, stop it!

Here's my plan that has worked for the last 16.9 years:

1) when getting ready for leave, TDY, deployment, etc, put the ol out of office reply to work.

2) enjoy your time away from the squadron...it will not burn down and the wheels will keep on turning while you are gone...trust me. You are not as important as you think you are. However, you are a unique snowflake---just like everyone else!

3) when you return, open up outlook and delete every email you got while gone....don't spend even a second reading them. If it was that important, that person already found the info they needed or they will write/email/call back at a later date.

BLOB (that's the lesser used Bottom Line On Bottom): concentrate on the mish downrange and stop giving a shit about the squadron running's back home...it will be there when you RTB safety!

Check 6!

Cap-10

4)

This. I ended up with some ungodly number of emails numbering in the thousands. Strangely enough, the world kept turning, I was still flying, and only some I.T. geek called asking if I wanted to keep my account open because the server was filling up.

If the place falls apart while you are gone, you and the leadership are doing something wrong.

Sorry, it's true, you aren't that important. If you have Eagles or stars on your shoulders I might be wrong.

Edited by matmacwc

If the place falls apart while you are gone, you and the leadership are doing something wrong.

Sorry, it's true, you aren't that important. If you have Eagles or stars on your shoulders I might be wrong.

You're not wrong. Shouldn't fall apart then either. CSAF got tossed.. the AF didn't.. oh wait.

CAP-10, I'm not doing work at home, I'm trying to do work at work. At my undisclosed location, I spend the majority of my workday working with and on the Host Nation's side of the base. We have no DSN or NIPR, so the Host Nation pays for our ISP. Of course, most of our comm is through e-mail, and needs to be encrypted. Our current work around sucks, so if we can get S/MIME back, we're going to do it. Once duty hours are over, the rest can wait for tomorrow.

This reminds my of one of my former Sqdn Ops Officers many years ago. I walked by his desk one Friday and he was taking the 12-15 inches of paper out of his inbox and tossing it in the wastebasket. I asked him what he was doing and he explained that it was mostly BS and a waste of time. If something was really important he'd get a call in a day or two and he'd have plenty of time then to deal with it (since he wasn't wasting time on the other BS). Seemed to work well for him.

I oftentimes check my work email from home to avoid going into work in the first place, and if it gives me SA on what's going on around the office, I don't see the harm. Shit, it takes all of 2 minutes to check---a lot less than it takes for all y'all to make your 10th post of the day on BODN.

• Upvote 2

I oftentimes check my work email from home to avoid going into work in the first place, and if it gives me SA on what's going on around the office, I don't see the harm. Shit, it takes all of 2 minutes to check---a lot less than it takes for all y'all to make your 10th post of the day on BODN.

Word. When I was working a crew schedule and had EPRs/OPRs/whatever to sign on my days off, I would happily pull out my laptop and spend 10 minutes signing and checking email rather than drive 30 minutes each way to base and then get sucked in to other shit from people seeing me around the squadron. My work email use at home gave me much more free time.

I'm also able to take care of all of my PCS stuff from home whenever I move and it's a million times easier because I already have everything saved on my computer to upload. CAC reader for personal computer is a necessity IMHO.