15 year retirements on the table

Check it out on the Portal. PSDM 13-74 for officers and 13-73 for enlisted (both listed as FOUO or I'd post them). Matrix that defines which AFSC's will be eligible not yet up, but I have a feeling we all know who won't be eligible!

Big points:

HAVE to retire by 1 Nov 13

Application window 29 July to 19 Aug

ADSCs MAY be waived

Not first come first serve

Retirement reduced by 1% per year prior to 20

Full military retirement benefits

Check it out on the Portal. PSDM 13-74 for officers and 13-73 for enlisted (both listed as FOUO or I'd post them). Matrix that defines which AFSC's will be eligible not yet up, but I have a feeling we all know who won't be eligible!

Big points:

HAVE to retire by 1 Nov 13

Application window 29 July to 19 Aug

ADSCs MAY be waived

Not first come first serve

Retirement reduced by 1% per year prior to 20

Full military retirement benefits

So you're telling me I could leave 5 years early and still get 45% along with the rest of the retirement benefits?

It makes me want to punch infants and kick toddlers knowing that I am only half way to being eligible.

So you're telling me I could leave 5 years early and still get 45% along with the rest of the retirement benefits?

It appears that way based upon the literature.

Something else to take note of: Your commissioning year must be between 94-98. Certain individuals who are prior enlisted and meet the TAFMS minimum requirement of 15 years by 31 Oct may be ineligible just because of that sentence.

The pre-decisional matrix is posted on the link within the message. No 11X or 12X's appear to be eligible from what I saw. The window to submit is very narrow. Mandatory 1 Nov retirement date with 60-90 days of leave means terminal leave is just around the corner.

It makes me want to punch infants and kick toddlers knowing that I am only half way to being eligible.

Better than being 270 days from eligibility...

It appears that way based upon the literature.

Something else to take note of: Your commissioning year must be between 94-98. Certain individuals who are prior enlisted and meet the TAFMS minimum requirement of 15 years by 31 Oct may be ineligible just because of that sentence.

Well nevermind then.. damnit!

Guest ThatGuy
So you're telling me I could leave 5 years early and still get 45% along with the rest of the retirement benefits? It makes me want to punch infants and kick toddlers knowing that I am only half way to being eligible.

And next week we will all have to attend training for people who like to punch infants and kick toddlers. Maybe they will have an interactive CBT like the one for SERE?

Edited by slick999

The pre-decisional matrix is posted on the link within the message. No 11X or 12X's appear to be eligible from what I saw. The window to submit is very narrow. Mandatory 1 Nov retirement date with 60-90 days of leave means terminal leave is just around the corner.

Were you looking at the FM Sustainment Matrix? What I wasn't clear on was this just a list of career field shortages/overages or was this a list of eligible AFSCs? As I'm looking at it the links seem to be broken and everything goes back to the original PDF doc.

The not waiving deployment return date sucks becuase I imagine that so many people are going to beat down this door they wont offer it next year when I wont be deployment resricted from applying.

However, I have to admit this is amazing step in the right direction.

Edited by Catbox
  • Upvote 1

This should make the answer to my question about people wanting to punch right at 20 mor clear. I think this might be a litmus test to either test the probability of mass exodus or a new roadmap for a retirement plan. I bet the AF will get more applications than they can approve. Lets just hope this isn't another 'show your cards' VSP fiasco...

Like most incentives the 15 year retirement will attract many of the best and brightest, improving the promotion opportunities for the less capable. These types of incentives provide short term immediate savings while costing more in the future. Yes the 15 year retirees take a hit down to 32% but the benefits associated with additional opportunities exceed the loss in revenue very quickly. for eample, a Maj retiring at 15 years will be around 37-40 years of age, will be at the peak of his or her expertise, will have more than 25 years of viable employment lef and will have medical benefits and a pension for life. This makes them very valuable... The best and brigtest know this and will take advantage of the opportunity.

I don't have access to .mil sites but if this is anything like what I saw in the '90s I suspect there will be signifcant restrictions on the AFSCs authorized to participate and will be accompanies by a reduction in continuation to 20 for Majors. In essence, you dont make Lt Col on the first round, you either take early retirement or take your chances at the next board with no continuation to fall back on. In about 3-5 years the Major ranks will be so decimated that continuation to 24 will be the norm (my year group) and promotion to Lt Col in following year groups will rise to 85-90%...

The cycle continues to repeat itself...

Were you looking at the FM Sustainment Matrix? What I wasn't clear on was this just a list of career field shortages/overages or was this a list of eligible AFSCs? As I'm looking at it the links seem to be broken and everything goes back to the original PDF doc.

The not waiving deployment return date sucks becuase I imagine that so many people are going to beat down this door they wont offer it next year when I wont be deployment resricted from applying.

However, I have to admit this is amazing step in the right direction.

Yes. As the matrix is pre-decisional, it is nothing more than data at this point. I am sure not all of those AFSCs are eligible, but I feel confident that 11x and 12x are not included as they are not even included in the initial data. I have been wrong before...You can probably expect those that have overages by year group and by AFSC to be eligible and possibly a few outlyers to be included or not. The PSDM says the eligibles will be posted by 29 Jul, IIRC.

I can't see any possible way this will apply to 11x and 12x. I can't imagine a scenario where they would offer bonuses to keep people in while simultaneously giving them a very attractive out...but AFPC isn't known for their logical decision making.

Got me there...although usually AFPC's policy ideas make things worse for the rank-and-file, not better. Like the VSP turnaround.

I can't see any possible way this will apply to 11x and 12x. I can't imagine a scenario where they would offer bonuses to keep people in while simultaneously giving them a very attractive out...but AFPC isn't known for their logical decision making.

This very thing happened with the VSP for the 97 Year Group. I am a 96 guy and was not eligible for VSP. However, I went to UPT with some 97 guys. So, when our commitment was up, my only choices was 1. sign bonus 2. don't sign bonus but stay in and 3. don't sign get out. The 97 guys had a 4th option, take VSP and get out.

They were throwing money in both directions.

Fvck....

Cannot read the message because no .mil access while on leave -- but, from what I'm reading, I'm:

1. not eligible for the bonus due to TAFMSD

2. not eligible for early out due to 11MXXX

3. not eligible for early out because I'm prior enlisted

This circus keeps getting better.

GC - please PM me so you and I together can find something where I can get out NOW....I have all my ducks in a row to go make some $$$ in the airlines. I'm your huckleberry....

• Upvote 1