Congress to Probe SEAL Crash

hobbitcid

Not from anyone who doesn't base their questions on emotion, there aren't. There were certainly some things that needed thorough debriefing from an operational standpoint that night, but none of those things point to some sort of consipracy. Someone needs to sit the famililes down and give them a thorough debriefing on the circumstances as there are answers to their questions, but the very questions being raised make it clear that the famlies are completely unfamliar with what their loved ones did on a daily basis. Among other ridiculous statements:

Klayman, Strange and others have questioned why so many special ops were on one aircraft that they claim was not equipped for such a dangerous mission. They also want to know why members of Team 6 weren’t looked after just months after the bin Laden operation.
Strange said, “There was no eye in the sky tracking [the Chinook]. Why not?”

Ugh. Really? Aside from the misinformed absurdity of this statement, I don't think it would have gone over well with those members that were involved with the Bin Laden raid if they were subsequently handled with kid gloves and not allowed to continue with their lives within the unit.

What accusation, exactly, is being made by the comments that insinuate the bodies must have been cremated to hide something, Sen Chaffetz? Or are you just reaching for controversy where there is none?

Your sons/brothers/cousins/nephews signed up for dangerous work on the understanding that they may have to make the ultimate sacrifice one day. Unfortunately they found themselves in that circumstance. They weren't doing anything at the time that thousands of others haven't done previously, and since. They aren't any more special than the thousands of others that have died in the last decade+, some in very similar circumstances. War is hell, chance ran against your loved ones that night, Im sorry for your loss. Move on with your lives.

• Upvote 1

Not from anyone who doesn't base their questions on emotion, there aren't. There were certainly some things that needed thorough debriefing from an operational standpoint that night, but none of those things point to some sort of consipracy. Someone needs to sit the famililes down and give them a thorough debriefing on the circumstances as there are answers to their questions, but the very questions being raised make it clear that the famlies are completely unfamliar with what their loved ones did on a daily basis. Among other ridiculous statements:

Klayman, Strange and others have questioned why so many special ops were on one aircraft that they claim was not equipped for such a dangerous mission. They also want to know why members of Team 6 weren’t looked after just months after the bin Laden operation.
Strange said, “There was no eye in the sky tracking [the Chinook]. Why not?”

Ugh. Really? Aside from the misinformed absurdity of this statement, I don't think it would have gone over well with those members that were involved with the Bin Laden raid if they were subsequently handled with kid gloves and not allowed to continue with their lives within the unit.

What accusation, exactly, is being made by the comments that insinuate the bodies must have been cremated to hide something, Sen Chaffetz? Or are you just reaching for controversy where there is none?

Your sons/brothers/cousins/nephews signed up for dangerous work on the understanding that they may have to make the ultimate sacrifice one day. Unfortunately they found themselves in that circumstance. They weren't doing anything at the time that thousands of others haven't done previously, and since. They aren't any more special than the thousands of others that have died in the last decade+, some in very similar circumstances. War is hell, chance ran against your loved ones that night, Im sorry for your loss. Move on with your lives.

How exactly are you such an expert on the crash to be able to tell others to chill out and have a sit down with officials?

About time too - lots of questions about this mission...

http://thehill.com/h...thal-seal-crash

Wrong. There are no questions if people simply read the investigation report. It is accurate and yes, I do know the entire story - regrettably. A terrible tragedy, and horrible loss. There is no coverup here, and no hiding of anything that should be made public. Classified is... classified. My understanding is that family were briefed on all that was pertinent to the causes, including non-publicly releasable information. This is grandstanding by congress, and using families as chess pieces to look like they are tough on the DOD and to get headlines.

• Upvote 2

My favorite quote from that ridiculous article.

"Administration leaks that emerged after the bin Laden raid prompted members of Team 6 to worry about their safety.

For example, Michael Strange told his father he was working on a will before he returned to Afghanistan in the summer of 2011, his father said."

Well I sure as hell hope he was working on a will before he returned, he probably worked on one every time he deployed, he has a dangerous as shit job. Even those of us without a job that dangerous when we deploy still have one.

• Upvote 1

Hmmm... Did not mean to start a firestorm here - I no longer have access to SIPR (retired) to read the final report but based on my own limited experience there seemed to be a lot of inconsistencies with regard to the mission. The way it went down just did not seem right...

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe the threshold for "journalism" these days...

Jeffrey T. Kuhner is a radio commentator on WRKO AM-680 in Boston.

I think that about covers it.

The shoot down of EXTORTION 17 was a horrible event for the US military, and more specifically the SOF community. The preposterous conspiracy theories surrounding it are an insult to the heroes that died that day. I'm also tired of only reading about the SEALs that died with no mention of the Air Force CCT and PJs on board or the Army helo crew that also perished. People trying to paint this as some kind of "set up" make me sick. These men were on their way into battle and some muj got a lucky shot off. Period. At least they were visited by a couple GBUs and some 40 and 105mm a few days later.

Here's a toast to the heroes of EXTORTION 17.....

:beer:

Edited by backseatdriver
  • Upvote 3

Well without violating the valid RoE at Baseops RE operations - I'll defer to the current article in the Washington Times.

http://www.washingto...vy-seal-team-6/

Just wondering...

Jesus tap-dancing christ. Everyone is so busy looking to blow the lid off of some Washington cover up that they forget some people are still fighting a war.