Opinions on C-17 v KC-10 (as well as bases?)

Rake47

I suggest you FAIP and bide your time for a C-5! In the end, it will be worth the wait.

I'd consider it if it weren't for the location I'd be FAIPing to, the fact that there's no guarantee there will even be a C-5 dropped after my FAIP tour, and the fact that it's entirely possible to xtrain to the C-5 later if I really put my mind to it.

4 months to learn how to do drops? Don't strain yourselves...

Also includes learning formation. And the typical day there isn't packed, so its almost a vacation from AMC.

If I remember correctly, these are the approximate course lengths in months:

IQT 4

CP (Airdrop) 2

PCO (AC) 1.5

AC (Airdrop) 1.5

IP 2

Lead/MC - In house

Heck, I think I've spent more time physically at Altus than at Charleston.

I really appreciate the info from everyone. I'm thinking my final list will be:

KC-10 : Travis

KC-10 : McGuire

C-17 : McChord

C-17 : Charleston

Unless anyone has a sudden burst of insight they wish to share? : ]

I've been to over 150 countries in ten years in the C17. I've done airdrop in three continents. Oh and if Travis and McGuire are what float your boat, we are there too. Comparing 10 and 17 bases who cares? If you want to burn holes in the sky and support everyone else's mission, good for you. Somebody has to do it.

• Upvote 1

Completely agree. You can be the tip of support or the shaft. I'd rather be closer to the tip, STS.

Haha, if you weren't based out of Charleston, I would be 100% convinced that you were trolling instead of 75%.

Completely agree. You can be the tip of support or the shaft. I'd rather be closer to the tip, STS.

Tankers actually support objectives being actioned regularly, airlift/AD rarely plays a direct support role in fighting (at least how you guys do it). Both are important, but it's folly to assume you're always more relevant. Thats true for all of us.

OP, hope you get something that makes you happy.

I'd consider it if it weren't for the location I'd be FAIPing to, the fact that there's no guarantee there will even be a C-5 dropped after my FAIP tour, and the fact that it's entirely possible to xtrain to the C-5 later if I really put my mind to it.

I said that tongue-in-cheek, but want to be clear about your comment.

You can NOT crosstrain to the C-5 if you "put your mind to it." First, there is currently no opportunity to crosstrain from the 17 to the 5. The best shot would be to FAIP, go OSA, or tanker. With both FAIP and OSA, you have to get an MWS after, so it could be the C-5 as well as any other MWS. If you go tankers, you can apply to Phoenix and crosstrain to an airlifter, but the odds are far greater that you'll get a 130 or 17 than a 5. Just a numbers game as far as that goes. Just so you're clear, the "top" of the strat pool get selected for Phoenix, but where you go is completely up to AFPC's randomness. If you want to have any input in that part of the crosstrain decision, you have to know somebody with clout.

I always felt closer to the battle in the -135 vs the -17, but still pretty far away. I've seen the fighters I just gave gas to peel off and drop bombs on Fallujah, I've had a lot of fighters ask me to move my orbit closer to their TIC so they can spend more time strafing. Opening night for OIF was pretty exciting with a wall of fighters on my wing ready to push into Iraq. A lot of the -17 guys I flew with seemed to think the war revolved around them. Granted I wasn't an airdropper in the 17.

Guest LumberjackAxe

Is this going to turn into a tanker vs airlift pissing contest??? I thought the MAF was above that

I think these will be common:

Job satisfaction is highest when airborne.

The grass is always greener, whether its stuck on a trip wishing to go home, or sitting at home wishing to get on a trip.

Also, I think either way, you'll have a triple digit leave balance for several years.

• Upvote 2

So would I, but you definitely won't be in either of these airframes.

The only 'possible' exception might be SOLL II...

I've done some cool things in the C17 ( not patting myself on the back, I'm not the only one). None of which I can talk about and only about half of those "support" missions were SOLL II.

Haha, if you weren't based out of Charleston, I would be 100% convinced that you were trolling instead of 75%.

Maybe a little, haha.

Tankers actually support objectives being actioned regularly, airlift/AD rarely plays a direct support role in fighting (at least how you guys do it). Both are important, but it's folly to assume you're always more relevant. Thats true for all of us.

Tankers also support the support airframes. I'm not bad mouthing tankers, there's something to be said for relevance. Direct delivery of anything (pallets of street justice, kinetics, etc.) is more appealing to me than giving everyone else a top off.

I always felt closer to the battle in the -135 vs the -17, but still pretty far away. I've seen the fighters I just gave gas to peel off and drop bombs on Fallujah, I've had a lot of fighters ask me to move my orbit closer to their TIC so they can spend more time strafing. Opening night for OIF was pretty exciting with a wall of fighters on my wing ready to push into Iraq. A lot of the -17 guys I flew with seemed to think the war revolved around them. Granted I wasn't an airdropper in the 17.

I felt pretty relevant on the opening days of OIF too. Flying into "J" fields to deliver SOF assets to the fight. I wish I could have been in a C17 for HUMRO.

Is this going to turn into a tanker vs airlift pissing contest??? I thought the MAF was above that

No

I've done some cool things in the C17 ( not patting myself on the back, I'm not the only one). None of which I can talk about and only about half of those "support" missions were SOLL II.

You flew some Arabian horses around in a grey and maroon cattle car?

Tankers also support the support airframes. I'm not bad mouthing tankers, there's something to be said for relevance. Direct delivery of anything (pallets of street justice, kinetics, etc.) is more appealing to me than giving everyone else a top off.

I felt pretty relevant on the opening days of OIF too.

No

Pallets of street justice & kinetics you can't talk about? You must have done the super spec ops C17 fighter pilot upgrade, sorry for questioning you Dr. Badass.

Pallets of street justice & kinetics you can't talk about? You must have done the super spec ops C17 fighter pilot upgrade, sorry for questioning you Dr. Badass.

The specops C-17 Fighter pilot Upgrade teaches advanced, gear down, on speed, in the zone, at the correct airfield landings. It's the tip of the shaft (STS), the best of the best of the best, SIR.

If you were a real pilot, people might care what you think.

• Upvote 2

I've been to over 150 countries in ten years in the C17. I've done airdrop in three continents.

I have the death sentence on twelve systems... >150?

Comparing 10 and 17 bases who cares?

You might want to check the title to this thread, it's pretty much the point.

Tankers also support the support airframes. I'm not bad mouthing tankers

If you want to burn holes in the sky and support everyone else's mission, good for you. Somebody has to do it

Yes you are.

I've done some cool things in the C17 ( not patting myself on the back, I'm not the only one). None of which I can talk about and only about half of those "support" missions were SOLL II. I felt pretty relevant on the opening days of OIF too. Flying into "J" fields to deliver SOF assets to the fight.

Still talking. BTW that WAS 10 years ago, so you either walked into SOLL II the day you got to CHS or you were Airland only at that point, most likely a new copilot augmenting a seasoned crew. How was the view from the RACM/LACM seats?

I thought the MAF was above that

No

Obviously.

Bottom line, every community has their day. At any time any community might suddenly find themselves not relevant to the current situation, (and arrogance is the first sign that your community is no longer relevant) but every community is still a critical part of the team regardless... except maybe TIB.