Pararescueman earns Silver Star

TacoJohn

...damn. Could be just the wording of the article but they made it sound like he was calling in air strikes as well. Maybe I'm out of the loop but I didn't realize any PJs got JTAC qualified.

As they're not quoting assets used, could have been something as simple as using the -60's on site to suppress/neutralize enemy forces or maybe Apaches coming in and vectoring them on target? Total speculation

Edited by Torch

...damn. Could be just the wording of the article but they made it sound like he was calling in air strikes as well. Maybe I'm out of the loop but I didn't realize any PJs got JTAC qualified.

g. Units and organizations that have a reasonable expectation to conduct terminal attack control in order to accomplish their assigned missions need to have individuals available trained to the appropriate standards to perform this activity (e.g., JTACs). However, experience has shown that there are, and will likely continue to be, instances where terminal attack control will be requested by personnel/units that do not have JTACs present. In these instances, JTACs, FAC(A)s, and/or CAS aircrews should attempt to assist these personnel/units to the greatest extent possible to bring fires to bear in support of their combat operations.

Chapter I, 2g, JP 3-09.3

PJs do not get JTAC qualified currently, some have been to JFO school. Internal to Rescue we train to use CCA format as well as simple bearing and range to work together to affect a rescue while suppressing/destroying threats. It's up to the actual shooter to ensure all deconfliction/coordination has been accomplished. So while not actually controlling strikes, they're fully trained to tell the overhead players where they see enemy positions.

Been much discussion over how to get a JTAC capability inherent in rescue, whether an actual dude assigned to the PJ team/squadron or training CROs or other team members in JFO as above. Several example from recent ops (like this one) demonstrate the need in case no A-10 or FAC(A) is around, but hard to convince senior leader aviators that PJs have any business on the ground more than a rotor disk from the helo sometimes.