Housing When Getting Orders for UPT

I just got notified I was selected in the AFRC board, and I am very excited. I want to start planning arrangements. I'm currently in a lease in a rental house, and I am about to buy a house. I am trying to figure out how it plays out when I get orders. I was hired as a traditional reservist so I will go back to being a part timer after training, and I will continue to live in another city then my squadron.

Will I be given any kind of housing allowance for my current residence when I get orders for training? Does it make sense to go ahead and buy my house or will I need to cut all my liabilities from my current city while I am gone? I asked my squadron contact, and he said he will have to look into it so I thought I would reach out to see if anyone had experience with this.

Thanks,

Derek

As an AD type I can't speak much to Reservist rules but I would assume you would get BAH for your assigned location, which would be pilot training. If you're renting a house, hopefully you read the fine print and there was a military clause so you can get out of it when your orders drop...

Youll get BAH for your UPT location, because its a PCS.

If you can wait, i would seriously consider holding off on buying the house. You will be renting at UPT, which your BAH should cover, but if you aren't renting your new house out, you're paying the mortgage out of pocket. If you don't mind renting it out or have a trustworthy family member, etc, that can cover the mortgage, go for it. But if not, on a new 2LT's salary, you may be stretched thin with mortgage and rent in two places.

One of the guard dudes in my squadron mentioned that with approval supposedly guard and/or reserve dudes cn get BAH for both locations if you can show that the PCS is for training and that you will be returning home after training..he mentoned that you had t already have a mortgage in place r something......I have no clue how true or accurate that is since it didnt apply to me i didnt investigate further

One of the guard dudes in my squadron mentioned that with approval supposedly guard and/or reserve dudes cn get BAH for both locations if you can show that the PCS is for training and that you will be returning home after training..he mentoned that you had t already have a mortgage in place r something......I have no clue how true or accurate that is since it didnt apply to me i didnt investigate further

This is partially true. I was on this type of waiver while at CBM for UPT, however in my case the waiver was conditional on having dependents and they were staying home. I have not heard of an instance of someone getting it without dependents.

If you can hold off, I would. Interest rates will probably stay below 5% for the next year or two. You also want to minimize your outside stressors while at UPT, and a crazy tenant or a broken furnance blah blah etc that you can't do a thing about will just make you crazy. Lots of people on here have horror stories about that kind of thing.

YMMV. Good luck and congrats on the slot.

I was also wondering about this. My wife and (will be year old when I leave for UPT) son plan on staying in our home while I'm at training. My wife has a dream job that would be stupid to leave. I was planning on staying in the dorms while at UPT and sending whatever $ back to the wife (quality daycare is a bitch on the wallet). But I was also wondering if there is/was any assistance for families not going to UPT. I know with all the budget cuts seems like anything/everything is getting hit. Thanks for any and all help.

Edited by chem_teacher_flies85

I was also wondering about this. My wife and (will be year old when I leave for UPT) son plan on staying in our home while I'm at training. My wife has a dream job that would be stupid to leave. I was planning on staying in the dorms while at UPT and sending whatever $ back to the wife (quality daycare is a bitch on the wallet). But I was also wondering if there is/was any assistance for families not going to UPT. I know with all the budget cuts seems like anything/everything is getting hit. Thanks for any and all help.

I believe the same 'BAH waiver' still applies in your case. From what I've heard from the one guy I know that got it...you have to prove to finance that you are going to UPT unaccompanied and will be staying in the AF dorms. You should then be able to collect BAH at your home, but will be forced to live in unaccompanied housing on base (the dorms)

Good luck!

I believe the same 'BAH waiver' still applies in your case. From what I've heard from the one guy I know that got it...you have to prove to finance that you are going to UPT unaccompanied and will be staying in the AF dorms. You should then be able to collect BAH at your home, but will be forced to live in unaccompanied housing on base (the dorms)

Good luck!

Shack. Exactly how it was for me, 7 yrs ago. YMMV.