Asiana 777 Crash at SFO

Butters

Note to pax: if you can't see out the front window, you have no idea if you're coming in too low and you definitely can't tell if you're going too fast.

You'd be surprised what passengers can pick up, especially if they've been in and out of that airport many times.

This crash reminds me of the '99 C-130 Al Jaber crash which was all pilot/crew error.

I am amazed that there were only 2 deaths. The plane held up well upon impact. A heart felt thank you to the flight attendants/CFR for getting everyone off in a timely manner.

Edit: Oh, and to cankled-lady, when you try to egress a plane in flops, don't be surprised if your feet give out.

Out

Edited by disgruntledemployee

Holy shit, they just showed a picture a passenger took. There were ######ers carrying their bags. If I am getting out of an aircraft that just crashed and you grab your bag, you are getting throat punched.

This is what bothered me the most, especially seeing how the passenger compartment was consumed by flames after everyone evacuated. Unless you have a small child in your bag, nothing in that bag is worth keeping anyone else inside that tin can of a time bomb a second longer than necessary.

• Upvote 1

Report from the hospitals today is that there are multiple abdominal and spinal injuries with some people paralyzed. No doubt from the sudden deceleration with the full pressure being absorbed by the lap belts. Glad some ######tards were able to get their overheads though. :bash:

Edited by Maverick77

cellphone video of crash: http://jalopnik.com/...dium=socialflow

Holy frak was that a low approach!! I can see now where some eye witnesses said it cartwheeled. Looks like it attempted to, but only got about 130 degrees before the wing came back down. Luckily too, lot more fatalities if it did fully cartwheel.

Edited by Maverick77

I fly into SFO a lot. Nav aids have been out for a while. Last time I was in, the PAPIs were also out. You always get speed up and slow down directions from ATC because they are running simulaneous approaches to both runways and they do not want you flying formation down final. Depending on the direction of the arrival or other traffic, you can get slam dunked making getting to a normal glide path a challenge. Too early to say what might have happened but there are usually lots of ATC instructions directing adjustments that can make an approach into SFO a hand full.

Holy shit, they just showed a picture a passenger took. There were fuckers carrying their bags. If I am getting out of an aircraft that just crashed and you grab your bag, you are getting throat punched.

This is actually a very common response after a crash. Under new, and extremely high stress situations, people tend to revert to something they know - i.e. get your bags and get off the plane. It's also why every professional interviewed after an incident says they "just fell back on their training." That type of irrational behavior has been documented at nearly every major crash with survivors. It's interesting if you care anything about psychology.

• Upvote 2

NTSB now saying:

7 seconds prior to impact, crew called to increase speed

4 seconds prior to impact, stall warning

1.5 seconds prior to impact, crew called for go-around.

Aimpoint, airspeed, aimpoint, airspeed.

Cheers,

Cap-10

This is actually a very common response after a crash. Under new, and extremely high stress situations, people tend to revert to something they know - i.e. get your bags and get off the plane. It's also why every professional interviewed after an incident says they "just fell back on their training." That type of irrational behavior has been documented at nearly every major crash with survivors. It's interesting if you care anything about psychology.

You are absolutely right. After something a violent as that crash, everything stops and you know you need to get out. The brain will then go into survival mode. That being said, I am still going to punch you in the face a throw your ass out the nearest door, because that is the training I would fall back on. Let this be a lesson to everyone... Wear proper footwear on a flight and fly Boeing. That plane took quite a beating, it is hard to believe there were not hundreds killed.

Edited by Butters
  • Upvote 3

You are absolutely right. After something a violent as that crash, everything stops and you know you need to get out. The brain will then go into survival mode. That being said, I am still going to punch you in the face a throw your ass out the nearest door, because that is the training I would fall back on. Let this be a lesson to everyone... Wear proper footwear on a flight and fly Boeing. That plane took quite a beating, it is hard to believe there were not hundreds killed.

Recently flew to SFO commercial. The wife couldn't understand why I absolutely INSISTED that she wear at least closed toe shoes. She was dead set on wearing sandals.

• Upvote 1

BBC is reporting that the SFO coroner is trying to determine if one of the fatalities was from a first responder that may have run the individual over. Sure hope that's not true.

Well, looks like the GS for 28L is not even there right now. Appears that it is being relocated so my theory about them locking on to a GS putting radiating HMI is out. The 28L PAPI was destroyed in the event. Another 777 had just landed in front of the accident aircraft.

BBC is reporting that the SFO coroner is trying to determine if one of the fatalities was from a first responder that may have run the individual over. Sure hope that's not true.

Hope not. I always thought instructors running EPs on the ground were joking about trying to avoid fire trucks after emergency ground egressing and such.

I listened to the tower feed and he was giving vectors to a Skywest on a go around. I couldn't quite figure out if he was in front of the asiana flight or going around because of the crash but my first thought was windshear. Perhaps a steep idle approach coupled with windshear caused them to get slow on short final and the engines being in idle took too long to spool up to regain airspeed in time. Of course that's pure speculation.

Anybody know if 30 flaps is a standard setting for landing in a 777?

Hope not. I always thought instructors running EPs on the ground were joking about trying to avoid fire trucks after emergency ground egressing and such.

That is why we brief 45* off in the MAF. Keeps you in a better position not to get hit. At least that is the theory.

I just said basically the same thing in a FB conversation with a Delta pilot. All of these people are talking about how low they were. As many landings as I have had the pleasure of observing as a paid approach critiquer/back seat driver, I am simply amazed at the ability of these chuckle heads to be able to judge where they are on the glidepath from the cattle car..... especially when coming in over the water. There is the one passenger now talking to the media explaining how HIGH they were. He even throws in some engine sounds.

Can't speak to Asiana, but ANA planes all had a camera in the nose well that displayed on a big screen when the gear were down. So you got to watch taxi, takeoff, and landing. Also, you pick up visual references on the side if you fly that aircraft/runway often, so I can believe it