Asiana 777 Crash at SFO

Butters

Good thing it didn't hit that 74. Wonder if they took off. "Ladies and gentlemen we just had an airplane crash in front of us. We may be delayed a bit".

Witness accounts said that the aircraft appeared to be "almost 45 degrees pointed up" at landing. I doubt it was that high, but my guess is slow airspeed, very high AOA resulting in a nasty landing with the tail hitting first. Another witness account said they hit and got airborne again. That would check. Aimpoint - airspeed!

Bored on a Saturday afternoon...

SFO Tower Audio (pretty slow to load)

Sounds like things were normal/normal until it hit the ground. No mention of an emergency and other aircraft being cleared to land.

I may be hearing things but it sounds to me like they're sending a lot of other aircraft around and are telling the Asiana crew that all the emergency crews are rolling. check out around 0:57.

The two dead are most likely the two flight attendants that would have been strapped in their seats located in the back galley, right where the tail ripped off :( (that is purely my speculation, no news reports on who exactly died yet)

I may be hearing things but it sounds to me like they're sending a lot of other aircraft around and are telling the Asiana crew that all the emergency crews are rolling. check out around 0:57.

Not hearing things, that is exactly what is going on in the audio.

Edited by Maverick77

Not hearing things, that is exactly what is going on in the audio.

That was a poor attempt at sarcasm. It's pretty clear they had an emergency from the tower audio.

Can anyone make heads or tails from what the pilot is saying on the recording? Like many have said before certainly don't hear any emergency call... 2 on the crew holding short will have a good perspective

The two dead are most likely the two flight attendants that would have been strapped in their seats located in the back galley, right where the tail ripped off :( (that is purely my speculation, no news reports on who exactly died yet)

SF Fire Chief has reported that the two deceased were found on the runway - did not identify anything else about them - so it could very well be the aft FA's if the structural failure tore their seats off the bulkhead. That's pretty horrible if it happened that way.

Edited by jcj

The very beginning of the recording is tower clearing them to land on 28L. They subsequently clear Skywest to land, but right after that you hear a yell in the background about an accident as they are trying to send the Skywest flight around. As for what the Asiana pilot is saying, I have no clue.

Survivor Benjamin Levy told a local NBC station by phone that he believed the plane had been coming in too low.

"I know the airport pretty well, so I realized the guy was a bit too low, too fast, and somehow he was not going to hit the runway on time, so he was too low ... he put some gas and tried to go up again," he said.

"But it was too late, so we hit the runway pretty bad, and then we started going up in the air again, and then landed again, pretty hard," Levy said.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I didn't get that the Asiana pilots were still talking to Tower after they'd already crashed. I thought all that comm was during the approach. Never occurred to me they would still be talking on the radios after that crash.

• Upvote 1

Ah, I see what you're saying. I didn't get that the Asiana pilots were still talking to Tower after they'd already crashed. I thought all that comm was during the approach. Never occurred to me they would still be talking on the radios after that crash.

Took me a second to figure that out too. The pilots must have been sitting there asking for help for a least a full minute (maybe longer, didn't time it on the tower recording) after the crash.

CNN just reported the deceased were two female, Chinese passport holders. One was 16, the other was 17yrs old. That's about all I will be able to report.....can't take watching/listening to all this expert reporters any longer.

Note to pax: if you can't see out the front window, you have no idea if you're coming in too low and you definitely can't tell if you're going too fast.

I just said basically the same thing in a FB conversation with a Delta pilot. All of these people are talking about how low they were. As many landings as I have had the pleasure of observing as a paid approach critiquer/back seat driver, I am simply amazed at the ability of these chuckle heads to be able to judge where they are on the glidepath from the cattle car..... especially when coming in over the water. There is the one passenger now talking to the media explaining how HIGH they were. He even throws in some engine sounds. :rock:

Break break.

Looking at the NOTAMs, I am assuming some runway construction is going on there (I will know some more tonight when I go in to work and can look at some stuff there). Going back to what was said earlier about the long flight, flying a visual, etc.... I wonder if maybe they overlooked the NOTAM and flew a coupled approach. I am just bringing this up to point this out: IF IT IS NOTAM'd OUT, IT'S OUT....DO NOT USE IT. Where I work, we manage the outages and maintenance of Navaids. There are times that a facility may appear to be operating normally but could be radiating "hazardously misleading information (HMI)". Due to the fact that the GS was NOTAM'd out, it is possible that techs could have been out there doing maintenance. At the end of a long flight it is possible they overlooked the NOTAM and just flew it coupled like they always do. I'm not saying that is what happened here, just a possibility, and I wanted to point out that fact (the HMI thing) for everyone to keep in the back :salut:

Ibleedteal13....AKA Devon Adair Kearn, calls herself a "classy bitch." This one is a keeper folks. Good thing she put her full name on instagram and left it public. This won't haunt her in any way.

Shit, I'm taking this same flight home next month.

Don't sweat it. A little duct tape and some paint and they'll have that 777 all patched up by then. Looks like you may want to pick a seat closer to the front if you can though.

• Upvote 2