Gluten Sensitivity

HFF

I'm looking for some advice on what to do in this situation. I'm a civilian pilot with a first class medical who will be applying to the guard/reserve in about a year.

Starting back as far as I can remember I would get sick an average of once a month or so (sometimes more, sometimes less) with stomach aches/intestinal pain lasting 1-3 hours. I chalked it up to a weak system and didn't make any changes. Doc said I might have "IBS". I had some tests done early on in life and they came back negative (including Celiac). Around last March it began to get much worse. I was getting stomach achs an average of twice/week. My Dad has these exact same symptoms and once he stopped gluten they got a lot better, so seeing no other option I completely cut gluten from my diet. I stayed away from doctors or further tests because I didn't want anything damning on my medical record for when I do my flight physical. That was a month and a half ago, and I've gotten a lot better. Except for one minor issue I've been free from symptoms ever since.

I want to know a few things: Firstly how big of a deal is this? I was under the impression that food allergies are disqualifying, however technically this is not a food allergy. I have a clear medical record (except for maybe "IBS" a year ago, but no visits for that since), I'm self diagnosed with some kind of gluten sensitivity. What tests will they do on me during my flight physical for the guard that might catch this? MREs will likely be a problem during training, but luckily there is no direct link to gluten and these symptoms, they simply increase in frequency if I eat gluten (sometimes I eat gluten and am fine, sometimes not). Even if I do pass my flight physical is being in the guard/reserve with a gluten sensitivity feasible? How much choice will I have over what I eat? Opinions on my situation?

Edited by HFF

Likely disqualifying. However you dice it, whether as an allergy or something else, you're unable to eat a "normal" diet.

Read this.

What tests do they do during the physical? As far as my medical record is concerned I'm free of any allergies, so in what ways could this still DQ me? Bloodwork as a kid came back negative.

I have no idea what they're going to do to me during the physical. My reason for asking here is so that I can find out what they do and get tested before MEPS. No use pressing forward if they're going to discover a disqualifying condition.

As a wise old ROTC TSgt said to me while filling out my pilot slot app,

"You do not have a history of allergies."

jedi-entrepreneur-mind-trick.jpg?w=300&h=250

I would probalby fall into this category, since it's not documented anywhere:

Do not hypothesis that you have any condition unless it is 100% documented by a medical professional.

What is the food situation like in the Guard/Reserve?

Edited by HFF

I don't recall ever being asked about food during the physical. If it's not in your record or in your blood then they won’t know. Not sure what you mean by "food situation" but if you deploy you might want to be ready to eat whatever is provided.

What tests do they do during the physical? As far as my medical record is concerned I'm free of any allergies, so in what ways could this still DQ me? Bloodwork as a kid came back negative.

I have no idea what they're going to do to me during the physical. My reason for asking here is so that I can find out what they do and get tested before MEPS. No use pressing forward if they're going to discover a disqualifying condition.

Huh--I wonder if the links in my signature cover all of this. I guess we'll never know.

Huh--I wonder if the links in my signature cover all of this. I guess we'll never know.

One more question before I shut up:

"Allergy to common food

(milk, bread, eggs, meat, fish or

other common food)

(4)"

1) Medically I don't have an "allergy" to anything. What I have is not considered an "allergy", and the above foods don't give me what is known as an allergic reaction. The mechanism is completely different. No other question on that form describes what I have except for "chronic intestinal problem", which is no longer chronic since I don't eat gluten.

2) Since whatever I have has not been 100% documented by a medical professional, technically I don't know that I have anything. I'm not a doctor.

3) If what I have is indeed "Celiac", a sensitivity to gluten, eating a gluten free diet reduces the number of antibodies in my bloodstream to a level undiagnosable by a blood test. As of now, it is undetectable.

I know it sounds slimy, but I'm not trying to get desked over a manageable medical condition. I'm also not trying to get court martialed for bringing gluten free bagels on an overnight trip.

Edited by HFF

IBS if diagnosed is disqualifying for flight training. If it's in your records, you may have a battle ahead.

"Current or history of irritable bowel syndrome (564.1) of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention or prescription medication or to interfere with normal function."

Yea, I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there. Luckily it hasn't been severe enough to require frequent (or any, for that matter) medical intervention or prescription medication, so I'm optimistic. Crossing my fingers is all I can do at this point.

Edited by HFF