Bringing a Pet to UPT?

So I am heavily considering getting a dog from a local rescue. It is something I have wanted to do for sometime, and the exact dog I've been looking for was brought into a local shelter recently. I commission in August from AFROTC, and EAD sometime this fall to Vance AFB. However, I've been told I likely won't start UPT until next spring (some of my classmates who commissioned in April have a set date of UPT starting in Feb. Considering I don't commission until August, my NCO's are betting my training dates won't start until after theirs).

My big question is: how feasible is it to have a pet while at UPT? I know they aren't allowed in the dorms. The dog is already almost 5 months old, so I likely won't be starting training until after the dog is a year old. I certainly have put a lot of thought into getting a dog, so the question of "if I'm ready" isn't necessary. More so I'm purely looking at how I'd be able to work it with UPT in my future. Any advice/experience would be appreciated.

It's a horrible idea. Horrible.

12 hour days are standard. Add travel time, etc and your pup won't be able to go out for 13-ish hour stretches every day. Which is a foul.

After UPT, you're going to be deployed/TDY all the time. Sometimes with little/no notice. That's just life in the AF. What are you going to do with the dog then? You can't just count on driving the dog over to your parents house while you're gone...you have no idea where you're going to live.

And do not--do fucking not--be the asshole who asks his buddy's wife to take care of your dog for you while you're at work/TDY/deployed.

Until you figure out your life, not just during UPT but after, forget about the dog.

• Upvote 4

Don't get a dog until you are married and have someone who can properly take care of it when you are gone. UPT is the worst time to have to worry about a dog.

My buddy had one while going through training...it ran away

• Upvote 2

Concur with Noonin and Ravens52. You won't have time to take care of the dog during UPT. You won't be able to go home during the day to walk him on your lunch break, so after a long day of flying, stand-up and studying you get to come home every day to a pile of shit on the floor. It isn't fair to you or the dog. Further, if you do show up single with a dog expect to be forced into the dorms where you can't keep the dog. Dogs are awesome, but this is the wrong time in your life to get one.

Edited by guineapigfury