Say Goodbye to Manas in 2014

Guest ThatGuy

You mean hundreds of airman running around in their PT gear while the crew chiefs and locals do all the work will have to find someplace else to "deploy" for their career progression, say it ain't so!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Guest ThatGuy

"Oh, you just built us a new runway, tower, two ramps, and multiple taxiways...and we didn't pay a dime!? Great, now get the ###### out suckaz!"

Please say that didn't happen? Now the Russians will move right on over and make it their new airbase.

My favorite Manas memory

I was fresh off the rotator having just checked out my PPE and carrying my bags, litterally dragging everything in a jury rigged configuration from the issue tent to the sleeping tent (becuase I'm not a octopus with 8 arms) As I was struggling a very snotty TSgt yelled at me as she drove by alone in her F-350ish type truck that I was going to ruin "her" body armor treating it like that. She drove another 69 feet, parked her truck and went inside.

I think we'll be just fine without Manas

Guest ThatGuy

My favorite Manas memory

I was fresh off the rotator having just checked out my PPE and carrying my bags, litterally dragging everything in a jury rigged configuration from the issue tent to the sleeping tent (becuase I'm not a octopus with 8 arms) As I was struggling a very snotty TSgt yelled at me as she drove by alone in her F-350ish type truck that I was going to ruin "her" body armor treating it like that. She drove another 69 feet, parked her truck and went inside.

I think we'll be just fine without Manas

So wrong on so many different levels.

Please say that didn't happen? Now the Russians will move right on over and make it their new airbase.

The runway is definitely not new! They keep it repaired enough to be used but just barely. The Russians will probably still take over after we leave.

• Upvote 1

So wrong on so many different levels.

Par for the course over there. Besides the wing leadership and the ops group, the give-a-shit factor of everyone else on that base was near zero. Pretty surprising considering just how many Army guys transit thru there on a daily basis going to/from downrange, those guys are fighting a completely different war than everyone else on that base. It is always the Air Force guys transiting as singletons that get crapped on the most. Lost track of how many people I helped carry bags for as they dragged 6-9 bags through the snow from the pax terminal tent to Hotel California/Alaska areas.

The runway is definitely not new! They keep it repaired enough to be used but just barely. The Russians will probably still take over after we leave.

We tore up and replaced 3,000 feet of one end last summer. The plan was to do 3,000 feet on the other end this year, but I do not know if it is happening. That leaves 6,000 feet in the middle that is junk. The accelerometer would peg both limits on takeoff roll because of how crappy that runway is.

We tore up and replaced 3,000 feet of one end last summer. The plan was to do 3,000 feet on the other end this year, but I do not know if it is happening. That leaves 6,000 feet in the middle that is junk. The accelerometer would peg both limits on takeoff roll because of how crappy that runway is.

Resetting the G Meter is part of the After Takeoff Climb checklist there.

Resetting the G Meter is part of the After Takeoff Climb checklist there.

I've seen 2+ Gs on more than one occasion before rotate. Let the Kyrgyz keep that shitty runway, the shittier radar, and the most worthless controllers on the face of the planet. Hell, they can even keep a few of the Tower/Radar liaisons. The only thing I'll really miss is the humor provided by the give-a-shit, drunk ass Dushanbe controller as we flew over his head. Oh, and BTW, the chili was never that good.

• Upvote 1

My favorite Manas memory:

A group of us walking back to the dorms from the chow hall in our PT gear, we nod as we pass a gaggle of Army dudes going the other way, and after we pass we hear one of them turn over his shoulder and snidely remark "good day to you too, Airman!" Everyone keeps walking while one of the Captains stops and turns around to see what this dude's problem was. Turns out to be an ate up O-5, who gets in this Captain's face to lecture him on not forgetting our customs and courtesies and that "this is a joint base, etc, etc". He calmly responds that AF regs don't require us to salute in PT gear, but snaps to attention anyways and gives him the biggest Gomer Pyle salute you've ever seen and does an about face and walks off. Classic.

I definitely won't miss the Army thinking that they run that base, and guys like that O-5 who would rather police other branches than his own privates that don't render their customs and courtesies to other branches in uniform.

• 3 months later...