PCS with multiple cars

Spaceballs

Hey guys, has anyone had to PCS with multiple cars? I am pcs'ing to Florida in a couple months and I have two cars. I will be there for about four months, then I'm PCS'ing to the West coast. I looked into the cost of shipping a car, but it would be about $1600 combined for both PCS's and I have no idea how trustworthy and safe shipping companies actually are. Has anyone found a good way to move cars around during PCS's and has anyone had experience using shipping companies to move their cars? Good, bad, and any scratches/extra miles on them? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

People ship vehicles across the country all the time.

A few ways to do this. Compare costs and if you don't mind taking leave, drive and fly back, drive. Or go on U-Ship and get some quotes. They have reviews on there so at least you know what you are getting into. Make sure whoever you go with is insured and federally licensed. You can find a lot of companies out there who have a truck with a trailer that can haul 2 or 3 cars, so that can save on costs since they are going to one location.

You can go to this site http://www.transportreviews.com/directory/reports/pasttwoyears.asp and check out reviews for different companies and get quotes from the ones you want.

How are you PCSing to Florida for just four months? That makes no sense.

Do you mean TDY enroute?

The same way the AF PCS'd me to Little rock for 6 months before being PCS'd to North Carolina. It doesn't make sense, but they've been doing it. The answer I got when I asked to change it to a TDY enroute was "no, it's cheaper to PCS you".

If I drove one car and my wife drove the other, would we be able to claim mileage on both cars? Thanks for that link. I'll have to look into that.

I am sure there are exceptions, but throughout my career the Air Force only paid for the movement of one vehicle. When we PCS'd to Belgium, I paid to ship our second vehicle as it made more sense than to sell it and buy another car.

That said, I never had any major problem shipping vehicles.

Depending on where you are now, you might consider leaving the second vehicle behind and picking it up on your way to the West Coast. Obviously that's not the best option if you're in the Northeast, but since I doubt you're gonna convince the USAF to pay to move your second car, if it's further west than that may be your best plan...

The same way the AF PCS'd me to Little rock for 6 months before being PCS'd to North Carolina. It doesn't make sense, but they've been doing it. The answer I got when I asked to change it to a TDY enroute was "no, it's cheaper to PCS you".

If I drove one car and my wife drove the other, would we be able to claim mileage on both cars? Thanks for that link. I'll have to look into that.

Yes if you drive one and your wife drives the other will will get pcs mileage for both of them. Every time I have pcs'd we have either driven both cars while towing a third or had the third shipped. The part that sucks is the pcs mileage is half of what you would get if you went tdy. Which with gas prices it could barely cover gas some times.

• Upvote 1

I PCS'd for 4 months my second PCS in the Air Force. I had barely gotten my utilities set up when I called to shut them off. There are a bunch of < 6 month PCS's out there. Especially when dealing with initial skills training.

Yes if you drive one and your wife drives the other will will get pcs mileage for both of them. Every time I have pcs'd we have either driven both cars while towing a third or had the third shipped. The part that sucks is the pcs mileage is half of what you would get if you went tdy. Which with gas prices it could barely cover gas some times.

Only valid if your dependents are on your PCS orders (i.e. an accompanied tour).

Also only valid in CONUS (although I don't know about OCONUS to OCONUS like moving within Europe).

May have changed, but years ago you only got paid 1/2 mileage/per diem on the 2nd car/person if you and your wife were traveling together. However, if you traveled even a day apart, you got full mileage and per diem for each of you. I would either leave one car and pick it up later like M2 said or just drive both. Seems like a lot of money/unknown to ship your car twice in 4 months.

As said other places in this forum... Know the JFTR. Consider it professional reading as much as anything else.

From the hymnal:

U5015 MONETARY ALLOWANCE IN LIEU OF TRANSPORTATION (MALT)

A. General

1. A member, authorized dependents’ travel and transportation allowances under par. U5201, is authorized MALT at the rate in par. U2605-B when travel is performed. When a member and dependents relocate on a member’s PCS move, reimbursement is authorized for two POCs, if used.

2. Except as in par. U5015-B, the MALT rate authorized for dependents’ travel is for the use of one or two POCs.

And

U2605 PCS, HHT (DoD CIVILIAN EMPLOYEE), FIRST DUTY STATION, AND SEPARATION TRAVEL

B. MALT Rate

*1. Effective 1 January 2013, the MALT rate per authorized POC is $.24/mile. The MALT rate in effect from 17 April – 31 December 2012 was $.23/mile.

You get paid .24 / mi to move two cars.

For homework, you should look up the conditions where you do or don't get DLA.

Edited by Dupe

$0.24/mile PER vehicle. So if you have 2 cars and the Frau is on your PCS orders, that's $0.48/mile regardless of when you drive (together/separate).

Ops checked 6 weeks ago.

Good clarification. I wanted to make it obvious to not expect the .56/mi (or whatever the current TDY rate is) for this.

Hey guys, has anyone had to PCS with multiple cars? I am pcs'ing to Florida in a couple months and I have two cars. I will be there for about four months, then I'm PCS'ing to the West coast. I looked into the cost of shipping a car, but it would be about $1600 combined for both PCS's and I have no idea how trustworthy and safe shipping companies actually are. Has anyone found a good way to move cars around during PCS's and has anyone had experience using shipping companies to move their cars? Good, bad, and any scratches/extra miles on them? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I have always towed my own cars... I buy a trailer which costs $2-2.5k.. tow your car, and then sell the trailer for what you bought it for.. I have done this 3 times.

As said other places in this forum... Know the JFTR. Consider it professional reading as much as anything else.

Yes, very good advice--know the JFTR well, or at least open it up and use Ctrl-F to find things. Using the reference below provided you meet all the restrictions, you can be reimbursed to ship the POV up to the cost had they paid you to drive two POVs. Pay close attention to the cost example. Only applies to those with dependents where you could be authorized more than one POV. May not cover ALL the cost, but you can see there is some allowance.

U5417 TRANSPORTATION OF A POV WITHIN CONUS INCIDENT TO A PCS

A. General

B Member Possesses More than Two Vehicles

C. Restrictions

D. Cost Reimbursement Example

E. Cost Reimbursement Example

Thanks guys. I appreciate the answers. I think I'm just going to hire a company to ship it down for me. It's worth the cost to have my wife ride with me for the traveling. I did look up the DLA and if I'm not mistaken I should get it for both PCS's since it is separate fiscal years for each PCS.

Once upon a time when my movers were packing up the moving semi trailer, the driver saw my cars and offered to load one up for a small fee, just between us. It was a chance thing, but you may be able to set something like that up on your own with your contract moving carrier once you know who it is. I declined since we needed both vehicles for the move.

• 3 months later...

I used Quick Time Movers because it was the cheapest. I was/ am busy with a PCS and new family, especially with the bullshit lack of clarity that AFSOC gives regarding the future, and lost focus. I failed to check the Better Business Bureau (their rating is an F) and paid the deposit of $175, with the total being $650. They pulled a fast one and on the contract, it had the charge of an ADDITIONAL $650. Anyway, the crackhead driver showed up but promptly left. He'd had many mx issues, made obvious by the POS truck and trailer with multiple blown tires. He left, never called the contacting company, and I have been fighting with Quicktime ever since. They will never call you or do anything to finish the job. I've contacted the BBB and am at the new duty station, fuming but not much I can do. Preparing to get a new company on this. I got in a rush and that was a huge mistake. Don't follow my lead.

I had a similar issue with a company whose name I forget. We set up a pick up date and the driver never showed because he wanted to fill up the truck first so that he didn't waste any of his time. Unfortunately as I was PCSing at the time, I was on a timeline and I just couldn't wait around (3 extra days). I called the guy up and told him that he had not lived up to the contract and that I was going on without him. I then called the credit card company and stopped payment on the deposit and told them not to accept any further charges for the company. It worked since i got all of my money back. I ended up renting a U-haul trailer, put the car on that and drove to the new duty station without a problem.

Edited by morenoj135

• 5 months later...
  • 7 years later...