Guard Promotions

I have a quick question about guard promotions. If you left AD as an O-3 and came into the guard, how long does it usually take to get promoted to O-4 assuming you meet the time in current grade, PME, etc? Curious how this process works. Specifically, I was twice deferred to O-4 on active duty, and want to know the promotion process in the guard or reserves from this situation. I have heard of many people who left AD because being twice deferred and were promoted in the guard/reserve.

Edited by pittsdriver

Is it just a regular promotion board, or separate from the normal boards?

Not sure I get what you mean. It's not the active duty board, it's a reserve promotion board. Standard once a year kind of thing. No special boards for dudes off active duty, passed over guys, etc.

Edited by Danny Noonin

Gotcha. Sounds like a timing issue depending when I get back in.

Correct. Then assuming you make it, you will have to wait to pin on. Since you are already over the TIG limit I believe it would be on Oct 1 following the promotion board. Your best bet would be to find the ANG officer prommotions reg...it's all spelled out there.

You'll need a waiver being twice passed over as well.

Correct. We had two guys in this situation, got the waiver and went to the board with the stipulation that if the board didn't promote them they were done. Both made it. Perhaps unfortunately for us.

Well, sometimes good folks get passed over. Mother AF does screwed up things.

I agree with you completely. With these couple of guys, I'm just waiting to see how they work out. Sometimes it takes a while for the AD to wash off.

I was selected for Major on AD. What happens if I leave for the Guard before I pin on? Do I get to pin on right away if I'm hired into a Major's billet? If I'm only a month or so away from pinning on in AD, should I just wait until then and then make the move or does it matter?

I was selected for Major on AD. What happens if I leave for the Guard before I pin on? Do I get to pin on right away if I'm hired into a Major's billet? If I'm only a month or so away from pinning on in AD, should I just wait until then and then make the move or does it matter?

Depends on your situation....

I'm a Reservist, but I assume its the same with the ANG.

I was a Lt Col select on AD and got out before I pinned on so I could compete for (and accepted) a Major AGR billet (AGR spots can not be filled by an over grade).

As far as the Reserves are concerned, I am still a Lt Col select...just have to wait for the TIG (7 years) and an O-5 billet to open up and I would then pin on.

I didn't have to have a Reserve PRF written and I didn't have to meet a Reserve promotion board.

Cheers,

Cap-10

• 11 months later...

Folks, this is one place where the ANG and the Reserves are very different. Since I've been in both, I'll comment on both quickly:

ANG: typically faster promotions to O4 (and to a lesser extent to O5) because a PV (position vacancy) is a local thing as opposed to the Reserves. In other words, since all aircrew slots in the ANG are O4 or higher, once you are eligible (4 years TIG) your own unit can promote you if they like. (Some like to wait a while so you don't run into TIG issues as you approach O5....but that's beyond the scope of this discussion.) If your unit doesn't PV you, will eventually meet a ROPMA board and pin on after that.

AFRC: If your unit wants to promote you to O4 before 7 years TIG, they have to submit you to a PV board; this is rare and even if they send it up, it may not get approved. Don't quote me on this, but I think is was about a 55% selection rate for PV's last couple years. If you are AFRC, plan on slower promotions through O5.

Last comment is anecdotal but worthy of mention: I believe that in aggregate, guys make O4/O5 slightly faster in the ANG BUT.....if you want to make O6 or above, you have a better shot in AFRC. If you are willing to play their game of being managed (a personnel management system where they can and will PCS you...and one I wouldn't touch personally) you will almost surely make O6.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone know generally how long after the ROPMA board meets that results would be released?

http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123412588

The January board results were released Thursday.

You'll need a waiver being twice passed over as well.

That is NGB/A1 approval if I remember correctly, and not as easy as it sounds. I don't know how the guys above got past the process, but in my current wing, if you are twice passed over you are not getting hired, due to the low Pk of that waiver getting signed.

Edited by 60 driver

• 1 year later...

Can anyone explain the difference between a PV promotion and a mandatory promotion? I have read about it in the AFIs and on myPers but I am still confused. Am I to assume if I am in a billet that is one grade higher than mine, I will be promoted once I hit TIG? If so, which TIG...the PV (5 years) or mandatory (7 year)? Is it a competitive promotion (PRF, meet a board etc) or do I just pin on?

• 2 weeks later...

We just had a dude get picked up for Maj on this past board (first look.)  He did NOT complete SOS.  I thought that was virtually impossible.  Has anyone heard of folks getting picked up for LtCol without ACSC recently?  I know it happened in the relatively distant past but I haven't heard of anything recently.  My motivation to complete PME is pretty much nil.  

Yup. We had one this year(O-5 select w/no PME & DNP).

Also had a passed over(for O-5) bubba AAD/PME complete with a DP who got passed over again.

The board obviously doesn't give a shit what the PRF says.

Edited by genie90
more info

• 5 months later...