KC-46A Info

Hammer

2 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

KC-46 selection board v3.0 results were released. Best part was the comment about selectees should feel free to apply to other assignments.

Some of the original -46 FTU IP/IB’s might actually be able to instruct in the -46 for less than a year, out of a 3/4 year tour, before having to PCS.

But probably not.

Edited by Sua Sponte

• 4 weeks later...

If only there was a DOD inspection Agency that could verify the work being accomplished. And was done correctly.

DCMA

When I worked for Boeing on the 757 line. All of the major airlines had representatives in the hangar. Prior to closing and sealing up areas. We had to have them inspect and sign off on the area being closed.  

Have the DOD inspectors onboard. And charge Boeing for the work. Until they get their act together.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MC5Wes said:

If only there was a DOD inspection Agency that could verify the work being accomplished. And was done correctly.

DCMA

When I worked for Boeing on the 757 line. All of the major airlines had representatives in the hangar. Prior to closing and sealing up areas. We had to have them inspect and sign off on the area being closed.  

Have the DOD inspectors onboard. And charge Boeing for the work. Until they get their act together.

Knowing who one of the DCMA pilots are in Seattle, I’m not surprised this happened.

12 minutes ago, daynightindicator said:

They are eating the cost. They’re on a fixed-price incentive contract (FPIF for the acq-type folks), meaning they pay all costs that go over on the initial contract, with a potential to receive additional gov money if they meet certain metrics for performance.

Working in the MRO world that had military contracts I'm surprised that DCMA is not getting the third set of eyes when ever a critical part was paneled up. I hear mechanics at Boeing use their own tools, I did to when working contracts but my toolbox had to have the same standards as your Crew Chiefs when you step to the jet, 100% accountability, inventory and shadowing. My supervisor and myself both signed off the inventory everyday. This sounds like that the penny counters program managers have thrown out quality, FOD free because that takes time and sacrificed it for roll times on time and delivery dates no matter what.  

Apparently it isn’t just the KC46 with QC issues and tools left on/in planes. 

“Workers have filed nearly a dozen whistle-blower claims and safety complaints with federal regulators, describing issues like defective manufacturing, debris left on planes and pressure to not report violations.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/20/business/boeing-dreamliner-production-problems.html 

not a good look for Boeing 

2 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Anyone have the summary of “that guy”?

Fired 7 commanders. Showed up as a herk wing commander having never flown the herk and said on day 1 he wanted to change our culture to get rid of low level below 1000 feet and limit us to 30 degrees of bank during all phases of flight because any more was unnecessary. Had the squadron that had a c130 crash at Shank show up 30 minutes after everyone else on base for the formal safety brief to talk about their issues, and then made them walk in between the rest of the wing to sit down. None of the people he did this too were on the deployment. After watching the safety brief with cockpit audio, he then released everyone out to welcome the crew on the safety brief back from Afghanistan 30 minutes later. Wanted to Q3 crews for not flying their 100% flap approach speed of 145 knots when they were heavy weight since the book said too, but would also Q3 them for going 146 knots which was a flap over speed. At one point he was a deployed commander at the Died, flew on a B-1 sortie, and would tell everyone afterword about his days in the bone and the bombing missions he had logged. I could easily keep going.

Edited by MCO
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MCO said:

Fired 7 commanders. Showed up as a herk wing commander having never flown the herk and said on day 1 he wanted to change our culture to get rid of low level below 1000 feet and limit us to 30 degrees of bank during all phases of flight because any more was unnecessary. Had the squadron that had a c130 crash at Shank show up 30 minutes after everyone else on base for the formal safety brief to talk about their issues, and then made them walk in between the rest of the wing to sit down. None of the people he did this too were on the deployment. After watching the safety brief with cockpit audio, he then released everyone out to welcome the crew on the safety brief back from Afghanistan 30 minutes later. Wanted to Q3 crews for not flying their 100% flap approach speed of 145 knots when they were heavy weight since the book said too, but would also Q3 them for going 146 knots which was a flap over speed. At one point he was a deployed commander at the Died, flew on a B-1 sortie, and would tell everyone afterword about his days in the bone and the bombing missions he had logged. I could easily keep going.

Please do, it’s quite entertaining in a really sad way. 

Thank you MCO, sorry if anyone had to go through that. What a douche, the basics of leadership failure.  Sounds like he had marching orders to change shit (non C-130 dude showing up), and did it poorly, it would mean somebody up his chain of command condones his behavior.  On a related note, looks like he works on the 737Max, how poetic.  (LinkedIn)

Still doesn’t sounds as bad as that other guy we don’t name.

Edited by matmacwc

One of my favorite Rhat stories: OG in SW Asia, He was notorious for having the radio in his office and bedroom tuned to ground frequency in order to squash anything fun or what he deemed unprofessional. A guard crew ended up telling Ground that it would be easier to understand them if they took the dicks out of their mouths. Rhat was listening in his room, hunted down the crew and told them they were going home on the next rotator. They were both Airline dudes and started celebrating going home early. Rhat heard about it and called them back in to tell them they were going to finish out their time but they were now on probation. Lol Totally backfired on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

He Q-3d a crew for flying a night visual despite having signed the FCIF saying they weren’t allowed any more, one of 69 they signed off during theater Indoc? Also decertified the tower controllers who cleared them as well as the SOF.  Their home guard base just shredded the paperwork; never made it to their FEFs (airline guys).

There was also the time he called a crew on the carpet for safety cancelling a Deid sortie, after stepping to their 4th un-airconditioned KC-135 in August heat over a span of nearly 5 hours.  Bonus coward points for the Sq/CC who refused to go with the guys to defend them.

Also, there’s this:

https://www.jqpublicblog.com/another-one-bites-dust-amateur-hour-continues-amc-continuous-unexplained-firings/

and this saga:

https://www.jqpublicblog.com/raging-white-jettisoning-lt-col-blair-kaiser-air-forces-ethics-problem/

The stories are endless and each more sad than the previous.  What a terrible commander.

Edited by Bergman