C-17 lands short at Dover

Butters

How short?

Like in the underrun or COMPLETELY off the runway?

WTF is going on with basic "aimpoint, airspeed" every pilot was taught in UPT?

Maybe their HUD was malfunctioning. How can you have an aimpoint without at HUD? If was short enough to cause some damage to the aircraft. Not sure if an underrun could do that.

But...but...but...I thought only the best pilots got C-17s on assignment night? How could this happen? Again.

IMHO if it's not already happening (foul if it's not) the C-17 community should probably drop the "we're better than everyone else" cavalier attitude and get back to the basics. You know, land at the correct airport, on the correct runway, with the gear down.

Glad no one was hurt. Hope someone can use the jet again.

• Upvote 2

Maybe we should use stricter criteria than year group and hours to determine upgrades?

IMO the C-17 has a growing number of CPs flying around coded as ACs and IPs. Get enough of these on one crew and you get buffoonery like we've been seeing.

Edited by bowe96
  • Upvote 1

IMHO if it's not already happening (foul if it's not) the C-17 community should probably drop the "we're better than everyone else" cavalier attitude and get back to the basics.

I've seen very little of this attitude during my six years flying the C-17. Considering our recent history I believe that the few people left who still feel this way aren't even members of the C-17 community.

Everyone has incidents and everyone ######s up. Lets wait for actual details of this one before we dust off and rehash our standard upgrade/training/HUD/AAD/PME arguments.

Everyone has incidents and everyone ######s up. Lets wait for actual details of this one before we dust off and rehash our standard upgrade/training/HUD/AAD/PME arguments.

This mantra gets rolled out every incident, maybe our crews are actually ######ing up? I'm tired of this attitude. We are professional aviators, when did we lose the ability to call people out? Every incident I hear the "it could happen to anyone crowd" fire up the propaganda machine. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it won't happen to me because I take my job seriously and still expect excellence out of my crew. These aren't act of god incidents, landing short, wrong airport, no gear are all pilot error. And before you say microburst, reference ground speed check, do we not look at this stuff anymore?

*Waiting with my popcorn to find out how I'm going to eat crow on this one*

• Upvote 3

This mantra gets rolled out every incident, maybe our crews are actually ######ing up? I'm tired of this attitude. We are professional aviators, when did we lose the ability to call people out? Every incident I hear the "it could happen to anyone crowd" fire up the propaganda machine. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it won't happen to me because I take my job seriously and still expect excellence out of my crew. These aren't act of god incidents, landing short, wrong airport, no gear are all pilot error. And before you say microburst, reference ground speed check, do we not look at this stuff anymore?

*Waiting with my popcorn to find out how I'm going to eat crow on this one*

You left out running off the runway at a FOB.

We don't know what we don't know, they may have screwed up, they may have had something going on we don't know about. I originally wanted to fry them with a post, but I'm getting old or something. Thankfully they are alive, that hasn't been the trend lately.

• Upvote 10

It's hard to spot an asshole in a room full of assholes.

True in any airframe. And here on the interwebs too!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it won't happen to me because I take my job seriously and still expect excellence out of my crew.

Famous last words. If you look at the vast majority of aircrew involved in incidents you will find very serious people who expect excellence from themselves and others. Nothing scares me more than someone who doesn't think that they could be next.

Edited by GearMonkey
  • Upvote 7