C-17 lands short at Dover

Butters

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one that doesn't care if it gets reported as an ops or mx cnx?

Maybe I'm fortunate that my DO is smart and as long as I have a good reason - like V3 ch4 says I can't go without ###, who cares what goes on the daily PowerPoint?

I don't think most ops guys actually care who the cnx goes to. I start to lose my sh!t when the other party(s) blatantly lie about the reason to put the blame on someone else. I've seen this multiple times at a deployed location where a crew bends over backwards to try to make the mission happen, but just can't do it (MX, WX, cargo). The next day the delay code is on the crew explained with a flat-out lie as to why it was an ops cnx.

I don't think most ops guys actually care who the cnx goes to. I start to lose my sh!t when the other party(s) blatantly lie about the reason to put the blame on someone else. I've seen this multiple times at a deployed location where a crew bends over backwards to try to make the mission happen, but just can't do it (MX, WX, cargo). The next day the delay code is on the crew explained with a flat-out lie as to why it was an ops cnx.

How about when they blame the delay or canx on the first party not to meet the SOE? Showed up at the window at Ramstein once 61 mins after alert, but when we showed up at the jet it wasn't loaded because ATOC only had one team and we were not fueled (#8 in line). I got to answer the call 10 mins prior to the descent into Bagdad from the Senior yelling at me about the 4 hour "crew delay" obviously due to us showing up at the window 1 minute past our SOE. Yeah... that makes perfect sense!

How about when they blame the delay or canx on the first party not to meet the SOE? Showed up at the window at Ramstein once 61 mins after alert, but when we showed up at the jet it wasn't loaded because ATOC only had one team and we were not fueled (#8 in line). I got to answer the call 10 mins prior to the descent into Bagdad from the Senior yelling at me about the 4 hour "crew delay" obviously due to us showing up at the window 1 minute past our SOE. Yeah... that makes perfect sense!

I handled a lot of issues like this when I was in command post. I never understood the almost pathological desire by MX personnel to lie in order to avoid a delay code being assigned to them. The whole purpose of the delay code system is to provide accurate info on why planes aren't taking off on time. How can AMC spot trends in declining aircraft reliability when MX personnel lie so that their power point slides look good?

The regulation that governs delay codes is AMCI 10-202V6. The verbiage on how to assign delays is right here:

"The primary deviation code is the first event in the sequence of events that directly leads (meaning an event from which unit actions cannot recover) to the mission departing in delay. C2 controllers will consider the 14-minute take-off window when evaluating "recoverable" events."

So, if showing up 1 minute late to the acft does not directly lead to a takeoff delay, the code should be assigned to someone else.

Chapter 6 has the list of all of the codes. 219 and 222 are the ones that CP and MX love to assign to aircrew.

Edited by Stank

THIS.

I handled a lot of issues like this when I was in command post. I never understood the almost pathological desire by MX personnel to lie in order to avoid a delay code being assigned to them. The whole purpose of the delay code system is to provide accurate info on why planes aren't taking off on time. How can AMC spot trends in declining aircraft reliability when MX personnel lie so that their power point slides look good?

I was at Ramstein once when my crew shared a bus out to the jet with a Reserve C-5 front end crew where the AC had been arguing a delay code with AMCC saying they were 10 mins late to the window because the bus showed up over 30 mins late. The Maj AC and the AMCC Maj behind the window were getting into it pretty good ending with AMCC saying the crew was getting the delay code and that was how it was going down. When we pulled up to the C-5... it only had 3 engines on it!!! I shit you not!!! I've been alerted to a broken jet before, but it least it had the correct amount of engines on it when I showed up! I was so bummed out that I couldn't make the trip back inside to witness the conversation at the window, but I was literally still laughing 7 hrs later on final at Balad!

• Upvote 1