US KC-135 Down - Kyrgyzstan

Some of us were able to see it in AFSAS before AFSC removed it.

So WTF is the deal? Between no information coming out at all after nearly 3 months, the report being posted then taken off the site, and having the official release date pushed back several times makes me wonder what is going on. Is someone "cooking the books" on another safety report, a la the F-22 Alaska crash?

I worked an F-22 SIB recently that took 4 months to complete. The evidence gathering took 3 months and 3 weeks. It's amazing how much things can change given one new piece of evidence...we deconvened for two months to let the smart folks do some testing. I'm not too worried about it.

There's also an 85% QC rejection rate (per AFSEC) for final messages right now, so the MAJCOM may have spotted a few things that needed fixing, to try to not get the big FU from AFSEC a week after final message release and the SIB having already been deconvened at that point. Enormous PITA once you've gone back to your normal job to get sucked back in to fix queepy shit.

It was QC - Rejected but was still available to read. A few days later the final was deleted (probably because someone within the process realized people could still read it). The current status is that there has been an extension granted which is quite normal especially with all the logistics and manpower required to finish this all up.

Rather be Flying but I'm using Tapatalk

One of several queepy things I once got QC rejected on was that my one-liner had too many acronyms. Well, assholes, if you limit how many characters I can use in a one-liner, then yes, it's going to have a lot of acronyms and abbreviations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sounds like what similarly happened to the American Airlines A300 that lost its vertical stabilizer during severe rudder swap after hitting wake turbulence. This is the crash that happened over Rockaway, NY the month after 9/11.

Either way...damn!

I was an IP in the '135, and I used to teach this as my little "bag of tricks" thing. At that time, not a lot of attention was paid to the Dutch roll tendencies of the jet, because the Series Yaw Damper (SYD) was very dependable. Dependable, but not perfect. I had this happen (Dutch roll exacerbated by a malfunctioning SYD) over middle-of-nowhere Canada in the middle of the night when I was a youngish AC, and it scared the bejeezus out of me. No matter what I did, it kept getting worse--up to 40 degrees of bank either way at its worst. Fortunately, we had a graybeard IP on the jet with us who came up to the jumpseat. He talked me through the recovery technique, and all was well. It's a counterintuitive manual control recovery, and had he not been there I can't help but assume the worst might have happened to us. When I became an IP, I made sure I told everyone the story, then walked them through the recovery. I hope the community puts emphasis on this for the lifespan of the airplane. Sounds like they will.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like what similarly happened to the American Airlines A300 that lost its vertical stabilizer during severe rudder swap after hitting wake turbulence. This is the crash that happened over Rockaway, NY the month after 9/11.

Either way...damn!

Encountering wake turbulence and having the jet dutch roll on you are two different scenarios.

I was an IP in the '135, and I used to teach this as my little "bag of tricks" thing. At that time, not a lot of attention was paid to the Dutch roll tendencies of the jet, because the Series Yaw Damper (SYD) was very dependable. Dependable, but not perfect. I had this happen (Dutch roll exacerbated by a malfunctioning SYD) over middle-of-nowhere Canada in the middle of the night when I was a youngish AC, and it scared the bejeezus out of me. No matter what I did, it kept getting worse--up to 40 degrees of bank either way at its worst. Fortunately, we had a graybeard IP on the jet with us who came up to the jumpseat. He talked me through the recovery technique, and all was well. It's a counterintuitive manual control recovery, and had he not been there I can't help but assume the worst might have happened to us. When I became an IP, I made sure I told everyone the story, then walked them through the recovery. I hope the community puts emphasis on this for the lifespan of the airplane. Sounds like they will.

This. Dutch roll recovery training is lacking, as identified in the AIB. The sim does a terrible job at accurately portraying dutch roll, and it is something the crew force rarely sees. Manual dutch roll dampening isn't difficult if you've seen it in the -135 or have been instructed through it.

That's a wild story. What exactly does the manual control recovery entail and how long did it take for you to regain control of the jet?