US KC-135 Down - Kyrgyzstan

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the need for confidentiality, but is there anything that can be released here for those of us without access to the .mil domain and the official report? If not, I’m sure there will be a public release of some sort soon enough.

I understand the need for confidentiality, but is there anything that can be released here for those of us without access to the .mil domain and the official report? If not, I’m sure there will be a public release of some sort soon enough.

Not for the SIB. And don't expect a public release unless they're running an AIB in parallel.

Not for the SIB. And don't expect a public release unless they're running an AIB in parallel.

As an old retired guy now, I obviously don't see these. What's the official criteria for release of an SIB (never really paid attention when I could see them) i.e. who is allowed to read them according to the applicable AFI?

The AIB is being convened shortly. Anyone without a Non-Disclosure agreement with a local safety office will have to wait to read what the AIB writes.

umm, what? Anyone who has received their annual privilege briefing and has a need to know (read: all aircrew definitely have a need to know on this one) can read the SIB final message. Other services will need to go through their Safety Center to request a copy. For the general public, you will need to wait for the AIB.

• Upvote 1

umm, what? Anyone who has received their annual privilege briefing and has a need to know (read: all aircrew definitely have a need to know on this one) can read the SIB final message. Other services will need to go through their Safety Center to request a copy. For the general public, you will need to wait for the AIB.

This concludes your annual privilege training. Please log on a 1522.

• Upvote 1

I was responding to the guy that said he was retired. Anyone other than aircrew, I.e sim operators, can read the reports but have to sign an NDA per the 91-204 3.7.2.

Also, the report has been withdrawn by afsec. Projected release per amc/se is 22 July.

I was responding to the guy that said he was retired. Anyone other than aircrew, I.e sim operators, can read the reports but have to sign an NDA per the 91-204 3.7.2.

So, as a former USAF pilot and someone still flying professionally, do I have the option to contact a local AFB safety office, sign an NDA and get access?

So, as a former USAF pilot and someone still flying professionally, do I have the option to contact a local AFB safety office, sign an NDA and get access?

I don't think there is a way to do it.

As you are aware, the SIB is for USAF/DOD mishap prevention only. Releasing details that are privileged outside of USAF/DOD channels runs the risk of the USAF losing the ability to grant privilege and these reports becoming nothing more than an AIB and make it more difficult to get cooperation during the investigations. AIBs are for public consumption.

No way in the world if you are not military. There is no way to punish you if you turn it over to CNN, which is pretty much the assumption any chief of safety would have, you have no reason or right to know.

Lots of civilian contractors working on and flying our jets... mostly depot level, but those guys definitely want and need to know.

Like I said previously: the 91-204 ch. 3 details contractor/non-rated personnel access to privilege. If you have a legitimate need to know, i.e. sim instructors or depot maintenance, the local safety office can give you an NDA...but that is their decision.